Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

Seinfeld

This blurb from our paper this morning:

"Al Yeganeh, the New York chef who inspired the brusque "Soup Nazi" character on TV's Seinfeld, plans to open 50 Original SoupMan franchises in Britain next year."

Larry Thomas, who played the Soup Nazi on that famous episode, came to the University of Victoria for a diabetes fundraiser, which I'm guessing may have been the most successful in ages and ages. For a mere $3 you could have a bowl of soup served to you by the Soup Nazi himself! The line up was crazy. I got myself a bowl of minestrone and an autographed photo of Thomas for my little brother who is a HUGE Seinfeld nut.

Near the end of his review of Judd Apatow's Funny People, Jeffrey Wells writes (with his typical causticness):

Most fans of
Virgin
and
Knocked Up
, I suspect, are going to have qualms, but that's what happens when you deepen and darken and expand the brand -- people go "hey, this doesn't taste like the others! Gimme my comfort food!" Most people just want to kick back and watch fucking
Seinfeld
. Good God! Is there any once-legendary TV series that feels lamer by today's standards? The fans used to brag about it being "a show about nothing." Not any more. The let's-lie-around- and-jerk-ourselves-off easy money days of the '90s are over.

To be honest, I haven't even really THOUGHT about Seinfeld in a long time. But does anyone here think Wells may have a point?

I never really fell for that "show about nothing" spin. If Seinfeld was about nothing, then all sitcoms are about nothing. Really. It had a great cast and was funny, but there was nothing philosophically groundbreaking about it. It was a classic situation comedy, where the characters dealt with various situations in comedic fashion from week to week.

To be honest, I haven't even really THOUGHT about Seinfeld in a long time. But does anyone here think Wells may have a point?

No, I don't think he does. I watched all nine seasons after the 9th season hit DVD (like, two episodes a day) and was impressed that the humor still worked. Sure, some jokes felt dated, but overall, the series held up in a way other hit sitcoms of the prior decade (Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, Growing Pains, etc) did not. Few sit-coms seem to allow you to go home again as a viewer...Seinfeld totally allows that.

Larry David details 'Seinfeld' reunion on 'Curb'

The "Seinfeld" cast reunion on HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" this fall will be an extensive part of the series. The stars of the original NBC series (Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, Julia-Louis Dreyfus, Michael Richards) will appear in five episodes of the HBO comedy -- along with plenty of other familiar faces (hello, Newman).

The "Curb" story has "Seinfeld" co-creator Larry David and the original cast agreeing to a series revival and follows the process of re-starting the classic sitcom.

"The context is for years I've been asked about a 'Seinfeld' reunion -- as has Jerry and the other cast members," Larry David said at the "Curb" panel at the Television Critics Association's press tour in Pasadena.

"I would say, 'No, there's no reunion, we would never do that, it's a lame idea' ... but it might be really funny to do that on 'Curb' ... and I kept thinking of how we could pull this off, and Jerry was game ... so we're doing a 'Seinfeld' reunion show. ... We'll see the read-through, parts of rehearsals, the show being filmed ... you won't see the entire [mock 'Seinfeld' episode] ... you'll get an idea of what happened 11 years later [for the characters]." . . .

David kept silent on what happens in the show to get his alter ego to change his mind about doing the reunion, and kept it unclear whether the reunion on the show would be portrayed as successful or a disaster. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, July 30

Larry David details 'Seinfeld' reunion on 'Curb'

David kept silent on what happens in the show to get his alter ego to change his mind about doing the reunion, and kept it unclear whether the reunion on the show would be portrayed as successful or a disaster. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, July 30

I'm gonna go waaay out on a limb here and predict 'disaster.' B)

phlox wrote:

: The only time I ever bought every episode of a series (and that includes Star Trek --gasp!).

Define your parameters. I have bought every episode of TOS and TAS but have never bought more than a few episodes of TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT. So when you say "every episode of a series", do you mean to say you've never bought every episode of one of those sub-series, or that you have never acquired an exhaustive collection of every episode produced under the Star Trek banner ever? :)

And people said Michael Richards would never work again...

Seriously though it will be interesting to see if Curb goes there. I mean precious few programmes would, but with Curb you can't rule it out.

Matt