Movie Prayers

Okay, another list. Movies with prayers.

What's inspired this inspirational thread is the inspiration that inspired me when I watched JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO. Not the most likely place one would look for, well, inspiration. So I was gobsmacked when Joe, after giving the water to Patricia, after dancing like a madman to the Dell-Vikings "Come Go With Me," after having a good shave and making up a cowboy song on his ukelele and listening to "I Cover The Waterfront" as the constellations drift by, after lifting his arms to the most glorious moonrise you'll ever see, kneels and prays.

"Dear God, whose name I do not know.

Thank you for my life.

I forgot how big

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or THE STATION AGENT

Bring 'em in.

What?

Grace.

Really?

Really, we got to give thanks. C'mon, bring em in. Hands around. Who wants to say it?

You.

God, thank you for letting us sit here and enjoy this meal. Please watch over everybody. Please let my dad heal, he's driving me fucking crazy

From Bergman's The Virgin Spring.

:spoilers:

"You saw it. God, you saw it. The death of an innocent child and my vengeance. You allowed it to happen. I don't understand you. I don't understand you. Yet still I ask your forgiveness. I know no other way to make peace with myself than with my own hands. I don't know any other way to live. I promise you, God, here by the dead body of my only child, I promise that as penance for my sin, I shall build you a church. On this spot I shall build it, out of mortar and stone and with these very hands." [birds chirp and the spring bubbles up from the ground]

Edited by John

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

From The End of the Affair:

Father...please, bring him back, let him live. I don't believe in you, but please let him live. Dear God, please. Let him...

Dear God, please, let him...Please bring him back. Please don't take him. I'll give him up fortever, only please let him be alive. Let him live, and I promise, I'll never see him again.

I hate you, God. I hate you as though you existed.

Don't forget

Leave me alone ... forever.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Sophie Scholl:

"Dear God, I can do nothing but stammer to you. I can do nothing but hold out my heart to you. You created us in your likeness. Our hearts are uneasy until they find peace in you.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

:spoilers: :spoilers:

TED (v.o.): I prayed all the time, but with the constant doubt I was kidding myself.

I suspected my religious faith was largely bogus.

I resolved to stay all the time and do whatever I could...

... to improve Fred's chances for recovery.

. . .

TED: ''Our Father, who art in heaven, please forgive us our sins.''

Please bring Fred back to full consciousness...

...with his mental capabilities and everything reasonably intact.

Please forgive my doubting, vainglory, and...

FRED (finally coming out of the coma): Give me a break.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts...t-stillman.html

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Lord's Prayer, United 93.

You know how it goes.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

From O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Everett's prayer - head in noose - next to the happy little tire swing...

EVERETT

Oh Lord, please look down and

recognize us poor sinners... please Lord...

I just want to see my daughters again.

Oh Lord, I've been separated

from my family for so long...

I know I've been guilty of pride and

sharp dealing. I'm sorry that I turned

my back on you, Lord. Please forgive me,

and help us, Lord, and I swear I'll mend my ways...

For the sake of my family... For Tommy's sake,

and Delmar's, and Pete's...

Let me see my daughters again.

Please, Lord, help us... Please help us...

And on a humorous note... from Dr. Strangelove...

Cheering starts among men in the War Room,as the Big Board indicates the bombers are retreating from their targets.

TURGIDSON

(whistles loudly)

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

War room falls silent.

TURGIDSON

Ah, gentlemen, Mr. President, I'm not a sentimentalist at all, by nature, but I think I know what's in every heart in this room. I think we ought to all just bow our heads and give a short prayer of thanks for our deliverance. Lord, we have heard the wings of the angel of death fluttering over our heads from the valley of fear. You have seen fit to deliver us from the forces of evil...

STAINS

Excuse me sir, Premier Kissov's calling again and he's hopping mad.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I believe the original Alfie (1966) includes a climactic scene where Michael Caine says he was moved to prayer, but I can't recall if the words of that prayer are ever spelled out.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Greg Focker's prayer in MEET THE PARENTS:

"Day by Day, Day by Day, Oh, Dear Lord three things I pray..."

In MUNICH - Louis' blasphemous Lord's prayer is memorable.

In PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - Christine's prayer to her "Angel of Music"

A SOLDIER'S DAUGHTER NEVER CRIES - The young mother giving her son up for adoption prays that her son, Billy, "will receive the love which is his right.

COURAGE UNDER FIRE - with Col. Sterlings' prayer setting up the film.

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet:

Conan: Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

"If I never meet you in this life, let me feel the lack. A glance from your eyes and my life will be yours."

1st Sargent Edward Walsh in "The Thin Red Line"

Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

--T.S. Eliot--

AMADEUS

Old Salieri (recalling his boyhood, V.O.):

I would offer up secretly the proudest prayer a boy could think of. Lord, make me a great composer! Let me celebrate your glory through music - and be celebrated myself! Make me famous through the world, dear God! Make me immortal! After I die let people speak my name forever with love for what I wrote! In return I vow I will give you my chastity - my industry, my deepest humility, every hour of my life. And I will help my fellow man all I can. Amen and amen!

SALIERI: Dear God, enter me now. Fill me with one piece of true music. One piece with your breath in it, so I know that you love me. Please. Just one. Show me one sign of your favour, and I will show mine to Mozart and his wife. I will get him the royal position, and if she comes, I'll receive her with all respect and send her home in joy. Enter me! Enter me! Please! Te imploro.

OLD SALIERI [V.O.] From now on, we are enemies, You and I! . . . Because You will not enter me, with all my need for you; because You scorn my attempts at virtue; because You choose for Your instrument a boastful, lustful, smutty infantile boy and give me for reward only the ability to recognize the Incarnation; because You are unjust, unfair, unkind, I will block You! I swear it! I will hinder and harm Your creature on earth as far as I am able. I will ruin Your Incarnation.
Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

FORREST GUMP:

Child Forrest and child Jenny hiding in the cornfield from her abusive father: "Dear God, Please make me a bird, so I can fly, far far away from here." [repeats]

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Cool Hand Luke

City Slickers

Shane

Fiddler on the Roof

You Can't Take It with You

It's a Wonderful Life

The Sound of Music

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

(I think this applies to the Disney & Chas. Laughton versions; can't recall offhand about the Lon Chaney version)

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

• 2 weeks later...

X-Men 2: X-Men United:

NIGHTCRAWLER: (whispering) Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on Earth...

transports himself & Storm to Xavier's Cerebro room

...as it is in Heaven

Here's an odd one, from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge ("The lover takes the bride") spoiler-filled plot summary & analysis.

The potential "lover" Raj and "bride" Simran find themselves in Switzerland. Simran wants to visit a church. Raj thinks it's silly, but goes along, mocking, as Simran kneels before a lighted candle, prays silently, crosses herself.

RAJ: [as they walk away from the altar] What did you ask for?

SIMRAN: You aren't supposed to speak of it.

RAJ: Then you must be sure about being given what you've asked for.

SIMRAN: Whatever one seeks with a pure heart, one is surely given.

RAJ: [stops] Go on. I'll be back in a minute.

SIMRAN: What happened?

RAJ: Go on--I'll join you. [returns to kneel before candle, waves] Hi! I'm Raj. [in English] I'm sorry, I don't know how to pray. But I want nothing for myself. I'm very happy. But that girl, Simran, she's nice. Very good at heart. Give her whatever she asked for. Please. Thank you. [starts to sketch a cross, shrugs] OK! [runs out]

CUT TO: mural of Christ glorified over altar

Edited by BethR

Lee Marvin's got one at a graveside right at the start of PAINT YOUR WAGON.

Ned and his wife pray in bed in WAKING NED DEVINE.

"If I never meet you in this life, let me feel the lack. A glance from your eyes and my life will be yours."

1st Sargent Edward Walsh in "The Thin Red Line"

Wow.

Okay, maybe I have to start liking this movie more.

Edited by Ron

WAKING NED DEVINE (26:41)

"I think we should make room in this day for some prayers.

God bless mothers and fathers and grandparents too,

Aunties and uncles and friends old and new.

Amen.

And dear lord, we pray tonight for a little man from Tully More, Ned Devine. as sweet a soul as ever was blessed. A gentleman, who loved his life, and carried a heart the size of his head in his chest. Amen."

"Amen."

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby features several scenes in which Will Ferrell prays to "little baby Jesus", and not "grown-up Jesus", because baby Jesus is his "favorite" -- one scene in particular features a long and drawn-out discussion of his prayer preferences between him, his family and his best friend.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Battlestar Galactica (yeah, it ain't a movie, but neither is The Decalogue):

Lords of Kobal, hear my prayer. I don't know if he had a soul or not, but if he did, take care of it.

The Lord's Prayer, screamed, in World Trade Center

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Alexander in The Sacrifice:

Our Father, who...

Our Father, who art in Heaven...

hallowed by thy name...

Thy Kingdom come..

Thy will be done...

Give us this day our daily bread...

And deliver us from evil.

For Thine is the Kingdom...

and the Power...

and the Glory.

Amen.

Lord!

Deliver us in this terrible time.

Don't let my children die,

nor my friends...

my wife...

Victor...

All those who love Thee and believe in Thee...

All those who do not believe in Thee, because they are blind...

those who haven't given Thee a thought...

simply because they haven't yet been truly miserable.

All those who in this hour have lost their hope, their future...

their lives...

and the opportunity to surrender to Thy will.

All those who are filled with dread

who feel the End coming closer...

who fear, not for themselves, but for their loved ones.

All those whom no one,

except Thou, can offer protection.

Because this war is the ultimate war

a horrible thing.

And after it, there will be no victors and no vanquished...

no cities or towns, grass or trees,

water in the wells,

or birds in the sky.

I will give Thee all I have.

I'll give up my family, whom I love.

I'll destroy my home,

and give up Little Man.

I'll be mute, and never speak another word to anyone.

I will relinquish everything that binds me to life...

if only Thou dost restore everything as it was before...

as it was this morning and yesterday

Just let me be rid of

this deadly...

sickening, animal fear!

Yes, everything!

Lord!

Help me...

I will do everything I have promised Thee.

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE

O Lord God most holy. Deliver them from the bitter pains of eternal death. The woman was a wicked woman, and she was dead in her own life. Yea Lord, dead in the selfishness of her spirit, and the man followed her. Her steps led him down to evil. Her feet took hold on death. Forgive him O Lord, who knowest the secret of all hearts. Yea Lord, pity them who are dead, and give peace and happiness to the living.