Sign in to follow this  
Michael Todd

Personal Tipping Point

OK, but my impressions, based on past experiences with Methodists, is that there is no denomination that better defines mainline Protestantism. I know the history of Methodism, and its openness to the Spirit. But I haven't seen that in contemporary Methodism. Not in my own (limited) experience.

Oh, I'm just as surprised by it as anyone. I've never seen anything like that occur at my church. I do know some members do pray in tongues, including the associate pastor and the people who host the small group I attend, but that just came out of the blue.

I also think it had some healing application to my own life. Like I said, I was raised UPC, and they taught that to go to Heaven, you must be saved, baptized, and speak in tongues. Well, I got saved when I was 8, and baptized when I was 9, but I never was able to speak in tongues. For most, that might have not been a big deal, but I was a paranoid child. I was convinced that I had until I was 12 to speak in tongues, because after that, each day was a crap shoot.

Why 12 years old? Somehow I picked up that 12 was the age of accountability. Jesus was preaching in the Temple when he was 12, I think that was the justification for why I thought that. Regardless, as time passed with no success, I became desperate. I was an odd child. I prayed a bare minimum for fifteen minutes on my knees every night before bed from the age of 8 until 14. I would sometimes stay there for an hour and a half.

Anyhow, as my twelfth birthday rolled around, I remember specifically praying to die. I didn't want to turn 12. I hadn't spoken in tongues, time was slipping away, and I wanted to make sure I made it to Heaven.

Maybe what happened to me this past Sunday night healed the wound from that event.