Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Panella

Role-playing games

9 posts in this topic

I was thinking about my book collection the other day. When I move in the next few months, I'll have to lug a ton of book-filled boxes, and it struck me that many of them are filled with role-playing game material. You know, dice, pencils and paper, nerd central. Anyone else a gamer in A&F land?

I role-played Star Wars and James Bond in my Bible-school days, but that was 18-19 years ago.

On the days that we actually played the games, my diary entries are sometimes more detailed when describing the way the game went than when describing events in the real world. It's a little weird.

I used to play D&D and Marvel Superheroes a bit when I was in high school, much to the conternation of my parents. I brought home a D&D rulebook, more because I was fascinated by the level of detail, the descriptions of the fantastic weapons and armor, and so on (much of it probably had to do with a major Arthurian interest I had in my younger days). Not too long after, I found one of those "evils of role-playing games" books in my dad's office, which was full of graphic descriptions of the way RPGs glorified violence, sex, and other seamy topics. Which, of course, made me even more interested.

Nowadays, most of the RPG-ing I do is courtesy of video games (Jade Empire, Neverwinter Nights, and so on). But I still find myself swinging by the RPG aisle at Barnes & Noble, and I think it'd be fun to get involved in some sort of casual RPG group (I think a couple of fellows in my church are part of one.)

Edited by opus

We should throw a game together at Cornerstone sometime.

Yeah, let's really give those protestors something to protest about! :)

I have lots of gaming material: I'm guessing maybe 20 different systems/settings, scores more in sourcebooks and other things. I've never much opportunity to play, though. Anyone that I would WANT to game with in this area really has no interest (or, if they have interest, no time), or the people that want to play are, well, folks I don't want to hang out with to begin with. I had a couple of great gaming experiences in college, went to a few conventions, but the only good RPG experience I've had over the past few years has been with play-by-post games on message boards. I'm deep in a year-long Spycraft campaign right now that is loads of fun, and showcases some of the best "fan" writing I've seen in years.

Somehow I started playing D&D this year. It was never my intention. I work as a youth pastor at my church and a random couple of kids showed up at youth group. They told me they played D&D Tuesdays and Thursdays after school. They invited me to play. Because I thought this was a good idea to get connected with a few more kids it seemed like a good idea. After joining them a few times I noticed that they would continually get kicked out after school because they weren't sanctioned to meet after school. I volunteered to be their advisor, giving them the ability to meet unrestricted after school. It's been really fun for me. These kids know they're pretty geeky but they don't care because they're having fun. Because of that, they have a confidence that most high schoolers don't have. They're actually pretty confident with themselves. They're also ridiculously creative and imaginative. As an added bonus, its been a useful tool for explaining theological insights to them. It really provides a great context for sharing aspects of the gospel. I'm able to better explain things in a manner that they understand.

Did I mention I actually have fun playing? I do, I really, really do. ::blush::

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - blockbuster sequel with more vehicles, more destruction, more team multiplayer, Is it available for Xbox 360 or PS3.

I have watched it on Griefster

Okay, I'll start. Are we going to do all of one thing first like states or doesn't it matter?

I've been playing The Laundry with some friends via TeamSpeak--it apparently uses the same system as Call of Cthulhu, but oriented toward a kind of spy-fi setting. Kind of. It's fun, and we've had some good times with it, but recently we put it on hold and decided to try out Outlaws of the Water Margin--a never-fully-completed game based on the tv adaptation of the book The Water MarginTonight was our first night. It's looking like it'll be fun: less immediate-goal-oriented than The Laundry and more of a chance for wide-ranging trips, etc etc etc. I do find the engine a bit stiff, though--simple as it is, I had to read the section on Actions several times before I "got" it, and I still find the combat maddeningly opaque. 

Anyway, since I've gotten a mild version of the RPG bug I figured I would bump this thread and see what/if anyone else on-board is playing or has played in the six years (!) since the last post.

[link to our thread on D&D Next)

Edited by NBooth

Just D&D 5E. A lot of it.

I play three or four times a month. Wizards' Adventurers League program is really fascinating, and how it's structures makes me feel like I'm contributing to a larger story. Each "season" includes hardbound campaign books you can buy, or in-store game sessions with approved adventures. All of this material ties in together, and Wizards uses feedback from players and GMs to make future decisions on where the story goes. This isn't a new idea; it's just implemented really well. 

The Laundry sounds interesting, Nathanael. Seems similar to another BRP game called Delta Green.

Edited by Jason Panella