The Dark Knight (2008)

Plankton wrote:

: : I disliked that movie from the moment I saw it (even after I heard that a map of Vancouver was

: : used for the map of Gotham City).

:

: Yeah, me too. But really? They used a Vancouver map? That's cool.

Finally found the visual proof I was looking for! :)

: I lived in Vancouver when I was much younger.

Whereabouts? Just wondering if it's in one of those regions that seems to have been doctored on the map used in the film. :)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't recall exactly, but it doesn't really matter; I only lived there some time after the film's release.

Which I guess reconfirms my status as "The Kid" ... :D

My name is Darth Vader. I come from the planet Vulcan.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

• 4 weeks later...

Heath Ledger had a couple of interesting things to say about his approach to the part of the Joker (source: ComingSoon.net):

I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

And Nolan is claiming that Hoffman, Phillippe, and Penn casting rumors have "no truth" to them.

BTW, the comic book Joker is going to be featured in an upcoming storyline in the Batman comic book, where writer Grant Morrison plans "...to make the Joker soul-destroyingly scary again ..." He then set that up a couple of issues ago in an event where a mentally disturbed cop dresses up like Batman and proceeds to shoot the Joker in the face - just as the real Batman shows up.

Edited by Clint M
And Nolan is claiming that Hoffman, Phillippe, and Penn casting rumors have "no truth" to them.

Does this mean the Joker's going to be the only villain? I was kinda hoping for multiple bad guys. Still, I guess if Ledger's performance is strong enough, it'll make up for there being only one villain.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

Does this mean the Joker's going to be the only villain? I was kinda hoping for multiple bad guys. Still, I guess if Ledger's performance is strong enough, it'll make up for there being only one villain.

Actually, I find this a relief. One of the things that took the Burton/Schumacher films off track was having multiple vilians to the point that Batman became a non-player in the film (especially prominent in Returns and Batman With Nipples).

Granted Nolan balanced Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow nicely, but I think Joker deserves to have his own film and not share it with anyone (unless it's in a beginning "throw away" ala James Bond).

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

The thing that struck me about Burton's Batman, when I skimmed through it a month or two ago (to find the image of that Vancouver map), was how awfully fake and big and empty the whole thing seemed. It seemed like there were lots of scenes where I was very conscious of the fact that I was watching actors walking around on a humungous sound stage. Apparently the film won an Oscar for its art direction and/or set design, but that was just one of the film's more ostentatious drawbacks, for me.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

And FWIW, I recently rewatched Burton's Batman. While I admit to being a big fan of Nicholson's performance, everything else struck me as, well, dreadful. Really dreadful. OK, not the (orchestral) soundtrack, but just about everything else. Inappropriate humor, absolutely unexplainable events, a STUPID protagonist, and on and on. What an amazing achievement Batman Begins is.

Amen, brother. My thoughts exactly when I first watched it.

Let's not forget that Scarecrow survived Batman Begins (although Cillian isn't listed in the cast).

Well, perhaps Nolan's saving him for another sequel. I can only hope...

- Back to the Future

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

• 3 weeks later...

IGN Filmforce offers up some speculation about The Dark Knight.

The purpose of this feature is to speculate on what The Dark Knight, the follow-up to Batman Begins, might be about and how The Joker (to be played by Heath Ledger) might be portrayed in the film. This speculation will be based primarily on the public comments made by the film's principals – including Ledger, director Christopher Nolan and Batman Begins screenwriter David Goyer – as well as an analysis of the comic books cited by them as being an influence on the sequel.

May contain some spoiler-esque material, so proceed at your own risk.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 4 months later...

Eckhart joining 'Dark Knight' cast

Aaron Eckhart is in final negotiations to play Harvey Dent/Two Face in "The Dark Knight," Warner Bros. Pictures' sequel to "Batman Begins." In Batman lore, Dent is the district attorney of Gotham City and an ally of Batman. After half his face is disfigured by acid, Dent becomes the insane crime boss known as Two Face. He chooses to do good or evil by flipping a coin. Tommy Lee Jones played the character in 1995's "Batman Forever."

Hollywood Reporter, February 16

Awesome. I've been a fan of his since Erin Brockovich, and it's great to see him getting such juicy roles in films like Thank You for Smoking and this one.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 3 weeks later...

Gyllenhaal joining Batman sequel

Maggie Gyllenhaal is in final talks to star opposite Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight," the next installment in the revitalized Batman franchise. She'll play the role of Rachel Dawes, played by Katie Holmes in "Batman Begins." Holmes dropped out of the project earlier in the year.

Variety, March 8

- - -

I'm trying to come up with a good Brokeback Mountain gag here (yeah, I know, even if it IS the OTHER Gyllenhaal who'll be co-starring with Heath Ledger), but I can't.

They've got to get Tim Curry.

He'd be the best Joker EVER!!!

(Even better than Jack.)

Let's not forget that Scarecrow survived Batman Begins (although Cillian isn't listed in the cast). BB had multiple villains, of course.

And FWIW, I recently rewatched Burton's Batman. While I admit to being a big fan of Nicholson's performance, everything else struck me as, well, dreadful. Really dreadful. OK, not the (orchestral) soundtrack, but just about everything else. Inappropriate humor, absolutely unexplainable events, a STUPID protagonist, and on and on. What an amazing achievement Batman Begins is.

I bought the Batman DVD for one reason only.

I'm a huge Prince fan. Wanted some of his videos in my collection.

• 3 weeks later...

A reader at DVD Talkis saying that Latino Review is saying that Emily Blunt will be playing

Harley Quinn

, and that Dr. Thomas Elliott (aka Hush) and Black Mask may be thrown in as a preview for the next film.

If that above made any sense, I'll be happy. It's the end of a long day at work.

Edited by Clint M
They've got to get Tim Curry.

He'd be the best Joker EVER!!!

(Even better than Jack.)

Hm, though I like Curry, I think he'd be typecast if he played Joker. I agree that he'd be better than Jack, though. It wouldn't take much.

I was surprised by Heath Ledger's inclusion at first, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The Joker is badly in need of redefinition.

As for Maggie Gyllenhaal's inclusion, I kind of wish we could have Katie Holmes back instead (merely for the sake of continuity). Still, it'll be interesting to see what Maggie does with the character.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

• 2 months later...
According to the crowds watching the filming in Chicago, Cillian Murphy-- as the Scarecrow-- has been seen on the set. Glee!

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New website. Follow the photos for a 1-800 number.

• 2 weeks later...

IGN is reporting that there will be an intermediate release that bridges the gap between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight:

It's an anime flick, currently titled Batman Anime (which, of course, won't stick for long) that takes place between the two movies, introducing characters and other plot developments before they appear in the upcoming Christian Bale blockbuster.

Interestingly, it'll be a PG-13 release to keep in-line with the darker tone of the movies.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

IGN is reporting that there will be an intermediate release that bridges the gap between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight:

It's an anime flick, currently titled Batman Anime (which, of course, won't stick for long) that takes place between the two movies, introducing characters and other plot developments before they appear in the upcoming Christian Bale blockbuster.

Interestingly, it'll be a PG-13 release to keep in-line with the darker tone of the movies.

You can see some concept art here. It's going to be a series of 6 stories written by David Goyer, Josh Olsen (A History of Violence), Brian Azzarello (various comic books), and others.

DC Comics is producing a series of PG-13 animated movies based on comic storylines - Superman/Doomsday will be the first release, followed by Teen Titans: The Judas Project and DC: The New Frontier.

Edited by Clint M
  • 2 weeks later...

Leahy to Appear in Batman Movie

Holy Beltway, Batman! Sen. Patrick Leahy has a part in the next Batman movie.

Associated Press, August 18