The Dark Knight (2008)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, that hadn't even occurred to me. I assumed the walls had been blown out from the inside, not smashed in from the outside.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

It's just an image, but it begs the question - why is the destruction in the shape of a bat? Did Batman cause it? It's disturbing.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
It's just an image, but it begs the question - why is the destruction in the shape of a bat? Did Batman cause it? It's disturbing.

And that, of course, is exactly the reaction the Joker was going for, and why he engineered the destruction that way.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

darkknight.jpg

This doesn't look 100% legit to me, but I like it, so ...

Now this is interesting.

Batman and The Dark Knight Trailers: Why so similar?

It's been awhile since I saw the first of the old series, but I remember liking it (a lot more than I liked Batman Begins), so perhaps this is reason for hope.

That's just how eye roll.

David Smedberg wrote:

: Now this is interesting.

: Batman and The Dark Knight Trailers: Why so similar?

It amazes me how many people have written about this as though it were the real deal -- even if many of them seem to change their mind by the end of their write-ups. As I wrote last night:

It doesn't happen often, but there are times when I wish I had that boxed set of the original
Batman
films, just so I could fact-check stuff like this. Is the trailer below for Tim Burton's
Batman
(1989) the real deal, in which case Chris Nolan and the marketing team on
The Dark Knight
are mimicking the earlier film's ad campaign and are thus twisted geniuses far beyond anything I ever realized? Or did someone edit the trailer for Burton's film together to mimic the trailer for Nolan's film? Christopher Campbell, who starts out by writing as though the old movie's trailer is genuine, leans towards the latter option in the end, and so do I. (
For one thing
, I doubt that a trailer back then would have followed the Warner logo with a wordy title card giving credit to DC Comics; my hunch is, that bit was pinched from the earlier film's opening credits, to create a parallel to the extra logos that appear at the beginning of the new trailer.) But I kind of wish Nolan and his team
were
the sort of twisted geniuses who might have done something like this.

Heh, I was already aware. But thanks for reminding me. :P When I think of movies on which we disagree, SDG, BB is always first on the list. (It's a short list.) My thoughts on a second viewing are here.

Peter, sorry that I hadn't yet seen your blog post when I posted, I'm sure you're right. I was starting to suspect myself when I went onto IMDb and none of the trailers there for Burton's version looked anything like that one.

Edited by David Smedberg

That's just how eye roll.

When I think of movies on which we disagree, SDG, BB is always first on the list. (It's a short list.)

Heh. My best friend hated BB too (but then he hasn't seen it a second time yet).

Interesting criticisms. I'm not sure I agree that Ra's al Ghul is either unsympathetic or ineffective, but he's certainly not the strongest villain, which is fine with me because Batman isn't yet the strongest hero. It will be interesting to see if The Dark Knight's Batman has grown as a character and a hero and whether he's keeping pace with the villains.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

David Smedberg wrote:

: Peter, sorry that I hadn't yet seen your blog post when I posted, I'm sure you're right.

Oh, no apology needed. I just find it kind of funny that so many people seemed to believe it initially ... even though the video first appeared at a COMEDY website ... and even though there was at least that one definite tell-tale sign. (To be fair, I initially "believed" it too for a few minutes, because the websites that introduced it to me spoke of it in credulous terms, too ... and also because I thought it would be hilarious if Chris Nolan and/or his marketing team had done something like that. But skepticism won in the end.)

Incidentally, I have now embedded a leaked video of the new Dark Knight trailer at the end of that blog post. Looks cool.

Burton. Heh. That MTV article on Iron Man said something to the effect that it was the best, most creative superhero film since Burton's Batman, and my heart sank.

Do not lose heart.

If it helps, think Spider-Man. (The first one.)

I wrote:

: Incidentally, I have now embedded a leaked video of the new Dark Knight trailer at the end of that blog post. Looks cool.

And now here's another version of that leaked trailer -- and this time, it's embeddable:

I just received this:

I don't have a Wordpress account to relay this and am too lazy to register, but I wanted to relay that the defaced Dark Knight trailer is *NOT* what's appearing in theaters. The "Jokerized" version is from a reel that was given away to one viewer in each of the twelve cities in which fans played an online "ARG" game to get an advance view of the new trailer:

http://batman.wikibruce.com/Whysoserious.c...plan#The_reward

The trailer that will be online Sunday and may be seen in theaters this weekend will almost certainly *NOT* be Jokerized.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

: The trailer that will be online Sunday and may be seen in theaters this weekend will almost certainly *NOT* be Jokerized.

Yes, I posted the non-Jokerized version at my blog the day before I posted the Jokerized version.

I like it.

I mean, it grosses me out.

But I like it.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."