Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Alien vs. Predator

Link to the Alien film series thread.

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Truer words were never spoken.

Cute comeback, Jeff, but I have to say I have no objection to an Alien Vs. Predator movie in principle. Like I said in that other thread, this project has been in the works for years, and it all stems from some pretty good Dark Horse comics that came out over a decade ago.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

My problem with the Alien vs. Predator film is the that they seem to be disregarding the films that have come before. From what I've read the script to this film creates some major continuity problems with the previous films. Either way, it is being directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, who quite frankly hasn't made a good film yet. I would be very suprised if it even approaches mediocrity.

Scott

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That trailer was hilarious. HILARIOUS.

OH man what are they going to come up with next.

CINDERELLA vs. THE BEAST?

Dorothy from Oz vs. The Count of Monte Cristo?

The Seven Dwarves vs. The Passion of Joan of Arc??

Is nothing sacred anymore? The sad thing is that i'd probably see this one if i didn't have to pay for it. Please give this film very bad reviews so that my urges to see it completely go away. So far i've avoided Michael Myers vs. Hellraiser (they all look the same to me), so your reviews are indeed the help i need.

OH THE HUMANITY.

If i don't laugh i'm gonna cry.

HAHAHHAHAHHHAHA.

-s.

Re: continuity errors and speculations about the source: Alien v. Predator is a very popular videogame. My 15 yr old loves it. So the movie joins the ranks of video games brought to the screen, for better or worse.

I want to see "The Women of The Hours versus the Women of Personal Velocity."

HJRoho wrote:

: So the movie joins the ranks of video games brought to the screen, for

: better or worse.

I dunno, I'd still prefer to think of it as a comic book brought to the screen. But I guess, in order to do that, they'd have to use the characters who were created for the comic book.

As far as continuity errors go ... um, WHAT errors? I'm curious to know. We know from Predator 2 that the Predators already keep Alien skulls as trophies. And we don't learn all that much about Earth in the Alien series (at least not in the first three films; I can barely even remember the fourth one). Seems to me there is PLENTY of room to go in a whole new direction with these characters/creatures.

Anyone else remember the Superman Vs. Aliens mini-series? Now THAT was a hoot -- of course, the ads for those comics showed a baby alien popping out of the 'S' logo on Superman's chest. As I recall, there were a whole bunch of stories like that a decade ago or so; I think I have at least two different Batman Vs. Predator storylines in my comic boxes downstairs, and I got a real kick out of Frank Miller's storyline for Robocop Vs. Terminator.

Speaking of Batman vs. Predator, have you guys all seen that short Batman: Dead End. It was actually kind of fun. Decent production values too. Check it out.

Speaking of Batman vs. Predator, have you guys all seen that short Batman: Dead End. It was actually kind of fun. Decent production values too. Check it out.

Oh yeah... I'd forgotten about that. Very cool stuff. Here's the link, in case people don't have it...

http://www.theforce.net/theater/shortfilms...batman_deadend/

Just wondering, have any of the film critics here had a chance to see this film yet? The local Fox rep tells me there may not be a screening in Vancouver prior to the preview this Thursday night -- which happens to be the night before the film's opening day. Sounds like they're either, uh, refining this one down to the wire, or they just don't want the press to see it in advance.

Has anyone checked out the new Predator DVD, BTW? Are the extras any good?

Just wondering, have any of the film critics here had a chance to see this film yet?  The local Fox rep tells me there may not be a screening in Vancouver prior to the preview this Thursday night -- which happens to be the night before the film's opening day.  Sounds like they're either, uh, refining this one down to the wire, or they just don't want the press to see it in advance.

According to Cinescape, you're right about last minute edits, Peter

But, being the cynic that I am, I can't help but think it would be advantageous for all involved that AvP doesn't get any pre release reviews. Best get a nice healthy opening weekend before the inevitable. I mean, come on, Paul W.S. Anderson *is* the kiss of death incarnate.

I also notice they're gotten a PG-13 rating for it. Not that I'm arguing for hardcore violence, but an AvP film is *obviously* going to be one of the most violent of the year. And it looks like they're just weeding out the graphic bits so they can pitch it right down to kids. This doesn't fill me with joy.

Phil.

Edited by Shantih

I want to see "The Women of The Hours versus the Women of Personal Velocity."

So basically you want to see the women of The Hours get soundly thrashed.

Was my original posting really as far back as last Halloween? My life is moving at warp speed. I could've sworn i wrote that like three weeks ago.

This idea has grown on me. I'm in the mood for some butt kicking monsters. Maybe i'll consider it the perfect finale to the summer season.

Nobody's written anything bad yet, so stop me if you can.

-s.

Shantih wrote:

: I also notice they're gotten a PG-13 rating for it.

[ blink ] [ blink ] [ blink ]

So it is. "Rated PG-13 for violence, language, horror images, slime and gore."

That's retarded. ALL SIX of the earlier Alien and Predator films were rated R. How on EARTH do they expect anyone to accept a fusion of these genres that is rated PG-13!?

Was Freddy Vs. Jason rated PG-13? Of COURSE not!

Oy vey. My expectations for this film, such as they were, just dropped many, many notches.

As far as continuity errors go ... um, WHAT errors? I'm curious to know. We know from Predator 2 that the Predators already keep Alien skulls as trophies.

I believe the only possible continuity error would be if you assume a predator had never come to earth before the first film-which is only "continuity" if the trailer for the first film counts-when the voiceover claims nothing like this has been on earth before.

I confess, I want to see this film. I really enjot both series, and although this is pure popcorn, I just can't wait to see these two duke it out on-screen. I know it's going to be bad, but I just can't help myself.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll just go hide myself in shame...

Husker4theSpurs wrote:

: Please tell me none of you want to see this film!

THIS film, no idea. But A film based on this basic idea, sure, why not? So long as it stays true to the spirit of the original comics, it could be pretty swell. Alas, the odds of that happening are pretty slim, though -- the film has been directed by a guy better known for his video-game adaptations (Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil) than anything else.

BTW, what's up with the horror films these days? I just got my pass for the new Exorcist movie and it, too, will be screening no earlier than the night before it opens.

BTW, what's up with the horror films these days? I just got my pass for the new Exorcist movie and it, too, will be screening no earlier than the night before it opens.

This would be Exorcist: So Good We Made It Twice! (AKA The Beginning)

Remaking the entire film to make it 'faster and more intense' has not generated a groundswell of support and reports are that the film is now little more than a shocker bearing the Exorcist name. The clue that this might be the case was, of course, the involvement of hack extrodinare Renny Harlin who brought us Cutthroat Island and The Long Kiss Goodnight... So I reckon it's the same deal with the reviews as AvP. A trashing is feared and so they're hoping for those early dollars to come pouring in before the reviews appear aftet the weekend.

Phil.

So I got an e-mail an hour ago or so telling me that the press were now invited to a "courtesy screening" tomorrow morning, i.e. a press screening that will end mere minutes before the regular matinees begin. I asked if I could see the preview screening tonight because, like, my editor wants the story by opening day, etc., and the publicist wrote back: "Our promo theatre is way, way overbooked and with the rabid Alien and Predator fans, we're going to have a bloodbath at the theatres and turn a ton of people away. Because of this, FOX has instructed us to steer all press to tomorrow morning's screening. Sorry."

I think I'd be more worried about the fans' reaction to the fact that the film is PG-13, but anyhoo ...

Oh, and the CTmovies.com editor tells me the Fox publicist in Chicago also told him that NO press have seen this film yet, at least not as of yesterday. It will be interesting to see if ANY reviews appear in tomorrow morning's papers.

Hmmm... There's a screening here in Seattle tonight. If you left now... well, no you'd never make it to Seattle in time.

I think I'd be more worried about the fans' reaction to the fact that the film is PG-13, but anyhoo ...

Done. 167 posts of pure rabid fanboys going AAARRRRUUUUGGGHHHH!

Edit: Got it on the third try right.

Edited by Clint M

Has anyone checked out the new Predator DVD, BTW? Are the extras any good?

I'm still watching the film. I will try and get through some of the extras this weekend.

The local Rogers isn't renting the new DVD -- only selling -- so I rented their VHS copy of Predator (1987) instead and watched it today for the first time in a decade and a half. Brought back lots of memories of the sort of cheesy, commando-style crap that my friends and I used to watch in the mid-'80s. Very formulaic story and characters, and the monster seems like an afterthought (which, I hear, it pretty much was); the Alan Silvestri music is also poised in that space between Back to the Future (1985) and The Abyss (1989) when I was just beginning to get into soundtrack collecting and I quickly figured out I was NOT a Silvestri fan. What strikes me most on watching this film now is the, um, challenging structure of it -- the first act is a special military mission, the second act is straight out of a monster-picking-off-his-prey-one-at-a-time movie, and the third act is a prolonged sequence in which Arnold, stripped of his technology, goes primitive (one might say he becomes a "barbarian" again) as he lays an elaborate trap for the high-tech Predator and then attracts him with an animalistic, almost Tarzan-like yell. It's almost like he becomes an Ewok -- albeit a tall, hairless, musclebound Ewok -- battling a technologically superior foe; why, he even relies on the old log-hanging-from-a-rope trick. Unfortunately, watching the film was NOT like getting three movies for the price of one -- or if it was, they were three movies I don't care to see again any time soon. Considering that this film feels like a bit of a hack job, it's interesting to note that director John McTiernan's next film was the wonderful, genre-redefining Die Hard (1988). (Oh, one other detail that struck me was the way future Governor of Minnesota Jesse Ventura -- and what IS it with Predator stars who went on to become state governors, anyway? -- uses the word "faggots" when taunting his teammates; very macho-1980s, and very much NOT the sort of word any film would try to get away with nowadays.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway