Sign in to follow this  
Nick Alexander

Other Fictionalized Secularized Christian Testimonial books?

Hi all...

I am nearing the last few pages of Nick Hornby's "How to Be Good" (2001) which I'm finding to be a breathtaking read. It has elements in it that I look for, a well-written, well-characterized portrayal of individuals who struggle with moral, social and spiritual issues, but not decidedly from a Christian perspective, even tho they may touch upon it. I won't bore you with the summary.

I'm finding this to be a breath of fresh air, as it really doesn't try to short-cut the conversion process, nor does it seem to have been written with an agenda, but from the author's very own searching for answers about some very basic questions, mainly, can one be a saint and still live in modern society?

But as I'm nearing completion of this book, there is something that bothers me. The review blurbs that surround the back cover and the inside pages indicate that the subject matter for the book is not common. And yet the one thing that I would want to read right after this is another book of this sort.

I'm already becoming a Nick Hornby fan, from the two books I've read and the movies I've seen. But this isn't about Hornby. It's about folks who care enough to put their struggles into writing, in entertainingly vivid characters in plausible (or slightly surrealistic) circumstances.

Any other book ideas?

Nick

It may not be exactly what you have in mind--I've never read How to Be Good, though I did enjoy the film version of About a Boy--but you might get a kick out of Michael Malone's Handling Sin. It's available in paperback, or you may find it in your public library.

On a somewhat different note, and quite different in style--especially since it's set in the late 19th century--Elizabeth Goudge's The Dean's Watch may be a bit too "neat" for what you're looking for, but it's not "sweet" in the conventional sense.