Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

The Compliment Thread

Has anyone given a shout-out to Ken for having this great idea for a thread? Yay Ken. Woo hoo.

Also, pretty much exactly what Opus said about Andy Whitman, including -- especially! -- the part where Andy makes Opus wants to break his pen in half and give up writing. Andy's writing talent is just obscene.

I could mention SDG's comedic abilities or liturgical persuasiveness, but we all already know that, so something else that I think is a compliment: Every time I sit down to work on my in-progress play "Sisterly Love," I think, "Now, how can I make sure that SDG would give this a +4 rather than something like a +2/-3?" Yes, I'm completely serious.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I want to give a shout-out to tctruffin who devotes his days to teaching young people,

Yes, O-Street did stop on his way to Damascus and help me in my hour of need. There was oil and wine and...well maybe the wives don't want to know. 8O And of course you can count on me to salve and to soothe should you stray into neighborhoods whose houses are pretty but whose occupants are savage.

I feel that for compliments to be real they must be truthsome, so I must say that I don't actually devote my days to teaching young people; I mean, I do have to spend some time in the next week prepping a freshman writing course that starts in a little over a week, but it's not a full-time gig--I'm only teaching one class this semester. God knows, they need help, the little blighters.

And as for being a "damn fine good disc golfer," I'll take that in the spirit it's offered, for my PDGA player rating says otherwise.

So, I'll speak loudly out my front door to Jeffrey and Ken, brothers in A&F who are kind and gentle and see the good, not weighing my merits but pardoning my offences.

Edited by tctruffin

To the people I don't acknowledge in this post: it's solely because I haven't been around here long enough to get to know y'all.

Jeffrey Overstreet - for making the first great film review site that I visited, and (duh) his deep insights into film.

PTC and SDG - for bearing with me through the "Evolution" debate and challenging my beliefs (and Peter was the first ever to "ahem" me :) ).

DanBuck - for starting the Donnie Darko thread, which not only got me posting here but also gave me much food for thought.

Jefe the Runtboy - for his overall great attitude (I always cheer up when I read his posts), and for telling me where that Sam Jackson quote was from.

Nardis - for her opinions on the LOTR trilogy (which, incidently, I happen to share :D )

Alan - for putting up with my first duplicate thread.

Ken - for starting this thread.

The Invisible Man - for his film-related opinions, which despite being often contrary to mine, always make me think about my opinions on the given film.

Chashab - for his thoughts in the Evolution debate.

Michael Todd - for that truly touching thread ("Personal Tipping Point")

Like I said, the only reason I haven't named more people here is that I haven't had that much time to get to know them.

Edited by Plankton

I'm grateful to each person who has had a challenging encounter here at A&F -- and there have been a few bruises along the way -- and hasn't walked away permanently. In particular, SDG, Peter, Jeffrey, Doug, Darren, Ken, Alan -- you guys make me smarter every time you write something, and I'm grateful to share this space with you all. Thanks for being here.

Matt, you're always above the fray, a good-natured chap, I'd say! It's great to have your take on things.

Stef, I appreciate that you made time for me when I was in Chicago -- hospitality is one of the truly great virtues.

And, Ken, as I've told you before, your customary sign-off ("Peace") always makes me smile. I love it.

The Invisible Man - for his film-related opinions, which despite being often contrary to mine, always make me think about my opinions on the given film.

That was very sweet of you to say. All I ask is that you bear in mind that I am essentially here looking for answers, and I frequently post when I am in need of clarity, or when something is troubling me. I don't have the intellectual smarts of, say, SDG, Peter or Ken, so take everything I post with a pinch of salt (that isn't to say that I think they are always right, of course).

A good example is the science fiction thread to which Ruthie recently directed you. Before I became a Christian, 2001 was one of my favourite movies, but now it troubles me greatly and I no longer watch it. However, I am not convinced that I am correct to think this way, so when I posted it was because I was sincerely seeking the input of other Christians.

Should you explore the forum, you may also find that some of my earlier posts are a little on the terse side (sometimes they are even rude). This was a serious mistake, and something I now regret. I was stupid. Truth is, Arts and Faith came as something of a shock to me. I spend a great deal of time alone, and I know no Christians in my offline life, so I expected to find... I don't know... a greater degree of piety here perhaps lol. Anyway, I try to do better now. :)

Edited by The Invisible Man

Please, Invisible, don't think that I am somehow subtly reprimanding you, or something ... I really do appreciate your input, and I greatly admire how you often engage in a discussion even when everyone else is against your stance. Like I said, I don't always agree with you, but I find it's healthy to run into someone with contrary opinions to my own, as it gives me opportunity to examine my own opinions.

I spend a great deal of time alone, and I know no Christians in my offline life, so I expected to find... I don't know... a greater degree of piety here perhaps lol.

My symphaties. I'm essentially coming from the opposite direction; I think I run into a bit too MUCH piety in film-related areas, if you know what I mean ... before I discovered Jeffrey's site, I wasn't aware that one could take any other "Christian" stance on movies other than that of someone like Ted Baehr. It came as a wonderful surprise, as I'd always had this conviction that movies should be judged by more than content and whether they acknowledged God or not. I later discovered this site, and have found it most ... well, helpful. I greatly enjoy discussing film with all you guys, and Invisible, remember that there can't exactly be much of a discussion if everyone holds the exact same opinion. :D Your input is GREATLY appreciated. No joke.