Movies to watch during a heat wave

With global warming kicking in, and a record heat wave here, and our AC barely able to keep up (only had the house cooled to 80F running full time), we figured we needed some thing cold to watch.

I thought we could rent the obvious March of the Penquins, but the thought of seeing them all huddling together made me sweat.

So we ended up finding one we'd taped off Sundance: The Sea from Iceland. It really didn't do much to cool us off.

So what could we watch that would make us get out the laprugs on a day like this (or at least cool us down enough so we don't need to rub ice cubes on our faces)?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Atanarjuat - The Fast Runner.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Heart of Light, set in Greenland. It's also a 2006 Top 100 nominee. Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I always think of how different the lake would look in summer in Grumpy Old Men.

Beautiful Girls, The Apartment.

Any of the Desperado films, including Once Upon a Time in Mexico, give the impression of being so much hotter than the typical American heatwave. It might make you feel fortunate that it is not that hot.

Fahrenheit 451, heh, heh.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Pathfinder

And on days when it's so humid that I just want to mellow out, perhaps something like Last Life In The Universe.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Ken, I see your Heat Wave and raise you The King is Alive.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're into the heat...

Walkabout

Lawrence of Arabia

A Far Off Place

If not...

Die Another Day

Smila's Sense of Snow

John Carpenter's The Thing

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I hesitate to join this thread since I live on the beach (1/4 mile) in SB and HOT is 80 to us - I call our coastal fog "God's airconditioning" - but...

ICE aGE 1 and 2

ICE STOREM

MARCH OF THE PENGUINS

JOEUX NOEL

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website