Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

30 Rock

Actually, all four of NBC's Thursday-night sitcoms lack a laugh track, as do the CW's "Everyone Hates Chris" and ABC's "Help Me Help You" and (I think) "Big Day." Network half-hour comedies are now split pretty evenly between ones with laugh tracks and ones without -- shocking, since just five or six years ago the only non-animated network comedy without a laugh track was "Malcolm."

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

What's everyone's take on last Thursday's episode? I couldn't watch it. The next day, in an online chat. a TV critic complained about how it was the least funny episode yet.

So I just watched it online, and even with numerous streaming "freezes" that broke the comic rhythm, I thought it might be the funniest episode yet. Am I just giddy to have had the opportunity to catch up on a missed episode during my lunch break?

What's everyone's take on last Thursday's episode? I couldn't watch it. The next day, in an online chat. a TV critic complained about how it was the least funny episode yet.

So I just watched it online, and even with numerous streaming "freezes" that broke the comic rhythm, I thought it might be the funniest episode yet. Am I just giddy to have had the opportunity to catch up on a missed episode during my lunch break?

Remind me... was this the one with Conan O'Brien? If so...

Flat. Out. Hysterical.

But it was also mad-cap and leaning on older tricks... not a lot of original (or challenging) material there, just effectively-played for yuks, "Night Court" style.

"The Rural Juror." I'd be first in line to see this if it existed, just so I could say "I saw Rurrr Jurrr"...

Yes, the Conan O'Brien episode.

"Old tricks," eh? If that's what made the episode work, I say, "Bring it on." This is the first time I've enjoyed Tracey Morgan's performance. And the stuff with the boyfriend is pretty amusing.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the episode. I was sitting at my desk, in a quiet office, laughing out loud.

I remain confident that Alan will change to the title of this thread to "30 Rock."

In the meantime, here's a li'l story about Brian Williams' reaction to a great visual gag from last Thursday's episode:

At one point, Kenneth is shown scrubbing the office wall where Williams has apparently scrawled a message to his CBS rival: "Katie Couric Sucks."

When we caught up with Williams last Friday, he told us that 30 Rock creator and star Tina Fey, an old pal, had showed him the script weeks ago

Thanks for changing the thread title, Alan.

This link could apply to any number of TV threads, but I'm placing it here because seeing "30 Rock" praised alongside "The Office" is a bit unusual:

In the past year,

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800007623

A fresh release from NBC, cementing the plans to shelve Studio 60 as well as 30 Rock (!), to make room for two new series:

"NBC's new mid-season drama The Black Donnellys will premiere on Monday, March 5 (10-11 pm/ET) — following the hit drama Heroes — while the new comedy Andy Barker, P.I., starring Andy Richter, will debut on Thursday, March 15 (9:30-10 pm).

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip will return later this season on a date to be determined. 30 Rock will return... with original episodes on April 19, after Andy Barker completes its slate of episodes" and Alec Baldwin's SAG Award gathers a good inch of dust.

Dude, take a little time, get your act together during the off season, then get back to doing what you do best.

Stop with these threats. There aren't enough good comedies on TV. You're not expendable.

I should note: There are very few shows on TV right now that I'm enjoying as much as this one. VERY funny, especially Baldwin's character and the rather literate stabs at things like Six Sigma.

Yes! (Although I can't second the "Six Sigma" bit, which is an unfamiliar concept to me, and must've gone right over my head). Baldwin was the show until later in the season, when it began to come together as an ensemble piece (Fey has become really great, I think). But he still gives the show most of its energy. Losing him would be a terrible blow.

Tonight is the season finale, I think. I bet the show plays great in reruns.

Last night's episode started sluggishly. The Greenzo thing wasn't really workin' for me, although it got funnier during the second half of the program.

But that second half -- mainly the post-party gathering -- was unbelievably funny, maybe the funniest sequence I've seen in a sitcom in years. Even better than 30 Rock at its best, before last night.

You can watch the entire episode here, although I've never had good luck with the player.

Last night's episode started sluggishly. The Greenzo thing wasn't really workin' for me, although it got funnier during the second half of the program.

But that second half -- mainly the post-party gathering -- was unbelievably funny, maybe the funniest sequence I've seen in a sitcom in years. Even better than 30 Rock at its best, before last night.

You have to wonder what this episode is going to do for pop tarts.

You have to wonder what this episode is going to do for pop tarts.

Excellent question. We have Pop Tarts in our home -- for the kids, of course.

I don't know if I can eat another brown-sugar Pop Tart after last night.

Baldwin is thinking beyond the show, while stiffing his interviewers.

"It's just that what you do, it doesn't have as important a place in the lives of people now," he said. "The world is in a really tough spot. And you can make people laugh and do a TV show and that's important to them but . . ." he breaks off mid-thought to marvel over Chopin's Nocturne No. 1 in B-Flat Minor. And then he's back. "How long does that last, that effect? How long do you take their mind off other things? And the second question becomes: Should you be taking their mind off other things? ...

Then he suddenly stood up and said, "Lemme go find out something, hold on" and, inexplicably, went to lunch.

Edited by Christian

Baldwin is thinking beyond the show, while stiffing his interviewers.

"It's just that what you do, it doesn't have as important a place in the lives of people now," he said. "The world is in a really tough spot. And you can make people laugh and do a TV show and that's important to them but . . ." he breaks off mid-thought to marvel over Chopin's Nocturne No. 1 in B-Flat Minor. And then he's back. "How long does that last, that effect? How long do you take their mind off other things? And the second question becomes: Should you be taking their mind off other things? ...

Then he suddenly stood up and said, "Lemme go find out something, hold on" and, inexplicably, went to lunch.

Basically...he has now become Jack Donaghy.

Season 2 comes out on DVD today, loaded with what appears to be a generous portion of extra features, which almost makes up for the fact that the WGA strike cut it down to a 15-episode season.

A glimmer of good news, from the Washington Post's TV columnist:

Mocking Palin has paid off handsomely for NBC, and Fey. Thursday's season debut of Fey's "30 Rock" attracted nearly 9 million viewers, its biggest audience ever.

Nine million isn't a great number, but it's an improvement for this show, which badly needed new viewers.

I watched the episode online, two days ago, then read a review somewhere that called it subpar but still better than every other comedy on TV. I didn't find it subpar; I thought it was hilarious. But it's possible that I've been away from the show so long that I don't remember how funny the earlier episodes are.

30 Rock is brilliant.

And last Monday, after Charlie Kaufman told me about his problems with The Sopranos, I asked him if there was anything on television he really admired, and he said without hesitating, "30 ROCK!!", grinning with enthusiasm. "I would love to do something like that!"

I watched the episode online, two days ago, then read a review somewhere that called it subpar but still better than every other comedy on TV. I didn't find it subpar; I thought it was hilarious. But it's possible that I've been away from the show so long that I don't remember how funny the earlier episodes are.

Well, lets face it...a sub-par episode of 30 Rock is pretty much still far above other comedies. :)

The Night Court thing didn't really work for me -- I never cared for the show; used to turn off NBC's Thursday-night comedy block at 9:30 -- but Jennifer Aniston killed last night. I had no idea she could be that good as an actress. Of course, I don't think I've seen any of her movies, and I never could stomach more than 5 minutes of any episode of Friends, so ...

The Night Court thing didn't really work for me -- I never cared for the show; used to turn off NBC's Thursday-night comedy block at 9:30 -- but Jennifer Aniston killed last night. I had no idea she could be that good as an actress. Of course, I don't think I've seen any of her movies, and I never could stomach more than 5 minutes of any episode of Friends, so ...
Agreed about Aniston. But I'm a big fan of Night Court, so the reunion of three of its principal players was something I thought I'd never see. Last night's episode was a rare five-starrer for me.

Last night's episode didn't do much for me, although Anniston was great. Now the previous week's episode with Oprah...I hadn't laughed that hard in awhile.

Agreed about Aniston. But I'm a big fan of Night Court, so the reunion of three of its principal players was something I thought I'd never see. Last night's episode was a rare five-starrer for me.

I could have done without Aniston, actually... But what a great surprise to see the Night Court reunion! I loved that show, despite it's frequent use of Mel Torme... :P

A Night Court reunion without Bull? That's like a Growing Pains reunion without Kirk Cameron! ;)

That being said, last night's episode was another winner. This is the best comedy on TV.

If there is ever a remake of The Fabulous Baker Boys, Jennifer Anniston must be the star!