Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

30 Rock

16 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Has there ever been a successful reunion show? I'm not sure I can think of one. I watched most of 30 Rock, though I don't think I got all the way to the end. That sort of sketch comedy doesn't lend to the character development that makes me curious or invested in what happened to the characters. I guess I think that drama might allow people to change in some interesting ways but comedy is about the same formula, same interactions. I'm assuming Liz is still Liz and doing Liz things. 

But that's what people want, right? More Liz! I did see a clip of her, in character, fighting with a man on the sidewalk, and I laughed. (This bit apparently opened last night's show.) But oof, I just came across this Slate review of the reunion, and it's even more damning than the Washington Post review. 

Part of my interest in the reunion is that 30 Rock was one of the last shows I watched regularly. Today I linked to an article via an Alissa Wilkinson tweet about something called The Bold Life - I see now that that's how I ended up on Slate, where I then saw the 30 Rock review - and was surprised, or really not so surprised - not any longer - to see an article about a show that's been on for four seasons and that I'd never heard of until today

Truly, life is passing me by. At least on the pop-culture front.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker