Sign in to follow this  

Star Trek

Those comments give me hope for this enterprise. (Ba-doom ching).

I think that taking Trek in a new direction, for better or worse, will at least make the movie more interesting than if they sign on the old Trek cast for yet another Next-Gen go round. And hopefully Whoopi Goldberg will be nowhere in sight.

That quote is attributed to "someone at Paramount," but in a recent TV Guide article, JJ Abrams said it wouldn't be a reboot.

If this being discussed somewhere else please direct me there.

Anyway, I saw Ron Livingston in a comercial last night, I forget what he was schilling but it had him arriving/departing via a beam of light. That, and his facial exppressions reminded me of Captain Kirk, and I thought, Wow, Ron Livingston would make a great, young Kirk in the new movie. Not sure if he's young enough to still pull off academy days Kirk, but I would love to see him as Kirk.

I would rather watch him there than in his current show which is a wast of both his talent and that of Gina Torres.

William Shatner to Sci Fi Wire: "Yes, we know the story is based on young Kirk . . . They need to figure out how to put the dead captain in with the young captain . . . It's a very complex, technical problem of how to write the character in, and I'm not sure how they will solve it."

Casting rumors ahoy...

First thoughts:

Damon would be a great Kirk, though he's pretty old to be doing a Starfleet Academy-era Kirk

Brody - I don't see him as Spock, but then there have been very few actors/actresses who have successfully pulled off playing a Vulcan.

Sinise as McCoy is inspired.

Kim as Sulu is a great idea, though again he seems too old. According to the Star Trek Chronology, Sulu entered Starfleet Academy at least a year after Kirk graduated, so they would not have overlapped. There is some fudge factor in the Chronology's dates, but it's consistent with Sulu still being a lieutenant when Kirk was already a captain.

Did I really NOT link to my post last Monday on this subject? Hmm, guess I didn't.

Anyway, Damon, Sinise and Kim are all already older than the actors who created those characters were when the original series began -- and in the cases of Sinise and Kim, they are SEVERAL YEARS older -- so there is no way that they could convincingly play versions of these characters who are ten-plus years younger than the characters were during that series. (Brody, meanwhile, is only about a year younger than Leonard Nimoy was when the first series began.)

But will this series really be about Starfleet Academy after all? With so many casting rumours indicating that most of the Enterprise's bridge crew will be in this film, I'm beginning to wonder. Surely they wouldn't all have been in Starfleet Academy at the same time...? And how likely is it that they would have been on the same assignments, post-Academy but so long pre-Enterprise? (We do know from the original series that Spock was assigned to the Enterprise over a decade before Kirk was, and that Kirk spent his pre-captaincy days on other ships, for example.)

Star Trek XI Story Buzz

It has been widely reported that the next Star Trek film would be a Starfleet Academy story recounting how a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock first met as cadets. But, according to IGN's insiders, that is not quite the case.

IGN.com, March 1

'Star Trek' Writers Talk Direction, Technobabble -- But Not Matt Damon

If Batman and Superman can be reborn, why not Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock? On Christmas Day 2008, the storied "Star Trek" franchise will begin anew on the big screen, and its creators are almost as ecstatic as the series' famously obsessive fans. . . . Orci and Kurtzman also confirmed that the film is not in any way a prequel but a reimagining of the franchise. Whether that means a whole new look for "Trek" remains in question. "We're not going to start totally from scratch," Orci said. "We want it to feel like it's updated and of the now. That's actually the discussions we're having now: how to keep the look of the universe yet have it not look like nothing's new. It's tricky."

MTV.com, March 8

Matt Damon says (JJ Abram says) what I've been saying for months -- Damon's too old for the role:

http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=692255&downloadURL=http://moviesmovies.ign.com/movies/video/article/807/807144/mattdamon_onstartrek_072007_flvlow.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' >

Hmmm, so how many actors will have played Spock now, then? There is Leonard Nimoy, of course, plus the four different boys and/or young men who played him as he grew up in ST3:TSFS. And there was probably a boy who provided the young Spock's voice in that episode of the animated series. Perhaps also a live baby in that flashback scene in ST5:TFF? See Memory Alpha for names and photos for most of these individuals.

Quinto is a great choice for Spock, IMHO, though playing a Vulcan is tough to get right. It's not emotionlessness, it's absolute control, tinged with a sense of both superiority and humor. I can't wait to see Quinto give it a shot.

It's not emotionlessness, it's absolute control, tinged with a sense of both superiority and humor.

Very well said.

In terms of looks, Quinto is an excellent choice, but I'm not sure he has the gravity of even a youthful Spock. We'll see!

My guess: Nimoy will play an instructor at the Academy, perhaps not even a Vulcan.

I agree with Denes that doing a Vulcan is difficult. Tuvok was pretty good, IMHO.

Tuvok was great. I was very impressed with Tim Russ as a Vulcan. Spock was of course the prototypical and best, and Sarek rocked. T'Pol was all wrong, and there have been few other well-played Vulcans.

My guess: Nimoy will play an instructor at the Academy, perhaps not even a Vulcan.

TrekMovie.com has a video of the panel at Comic-Con where this was all announced. It was stated that Nimoy will be donning the ears again. Their report says that Nimoy will play Spock also.

Edited by MrZoom

Who was it, again, who said the franchise would eventually go the route of Star Trek Babies?

It looks like this movie is skewing a fair bit younger than the original series. They have just hired an 18-year-old to play Chekov, who was 29 when the series began and 30 when he made his first appearance (Chekov did not join the show until the SECOND season, though apparently he was on the ship SOMEWHERE, otherwise Khan would not have recognized him 15 years later), and this news came just a day or two after AICN posted what they claimed were the casting breakdowns for Kirk, McCoy, Uhura and Scotty -- all of whom, apparently, will be played by actors who are 6 to 18 years younger than the original actors were at the time that they created those characters. The part of Spock, of course, was recently assigned to Zachary Quinto, who is 30 years old and thus 5 years younger than Leonard Nimoy was when the series began. Only Sulu -- once the youngest member of the regular cast -- seems to stand a chance of being the same age that he was during the original show's first season.

So. The original series' regular cast members were all between 29 and 46. And the new movie's bridge crew will be between 18 and 32 (though the oldest cast member may be even younger than that, once the roles are cast). Make of all that whatever you will.

If true, I like that direction. Better than ENTERPRISE's approach of trying to shoehorn changes into the continuity.

Eric Bana set as 'Star Trek' villain

Actor to play Nero in J.J. Abrams film

Variety, October 9

- - -

As I mention at my blog, the rumour a couple months ago was that the producers were pursuing Russell Crowe ... so apparently, whatever else the producers were looking for, they wanted an Aussie. :)