Sign in to follow this  

Star Trek

But because of its breathless action and spot-on casting, it's still a great movie...

And because it gets TOS futurecool down far better than any of the subsequent movies/tv series. There's a gosh-wow factor here that even superior movies in the series (The Wrath of Khan, for instance) just don't have. Hopefully the sequel will get some of the other stuff that made TOS great, like thought-provoking stories. Oh, and throw in some beauty shots of the Enterprise. Not TMP-style (that one takes up, what, a whole fifth of the running time? :P ) but more than a glimpse, at least.

For all its holes, though, I still like Swiss cheese... and Star Trek. Can't wait to have another slice, uh... film.

Yep. Sometimes Swiss cheese just hits the spot.

Edited by NBooth

Oh, I love me Swiss cheese.

But I don't love this STAR TREK. That said, it is a more watchable flick than just about any of the TOS films save WRATH OF KHAN or THE VOYAGE HOME, which separates me from a lot of the TREK die-hards who loathe this flick. At least this flick has some energy. But I wish it wasn't quite so blockbuster-y, for lack of a better word. There's the faint air of Michael Bay in this version of TREK that I think it could do without.

Edited by Ryan H.

But I wish it wasn't quite so blockbuster-y, for lack of a better word. There's the faint air of Michael Bay in this version of TREK that I think it could do without.

I'll give you blockbuster-y -- it's been said that this is Star Trek for Star Wars fans -- but I don't see Bay at all. A Bay movie wouldn't have any reservations about Kirk's faults -- on the contrary, it would celebrate them uncritically. And Kirk totally would have gotten Uhura.

But I wish it wasn't quite so blockbuster-y, for lack of a better word. There's the faint air of Michael Bay in this version of TREK that I think it could do without.

I'll give you blockbuster-y -- it's been said that this is Star Trek for Star Wars fans -- but I don't see Bay at all. A Bay movie wouldn't have any reservations about Kirk's faults -- on the contrary, it would celebrate them uncritically. And Kirk totally would have gotten Uhura.

Uhura wouldn't have been black, or if she was, she wouldn't have been intelligent. Spock would have had a gold tooth. And there would have been a couple of slow 360-degree camera pans around Uhura's body.

Edited by CrimsonLine

I'll give you blockbuster-y -- it's been said that this is Star Trek for Star Wars fans -- but I don't see Bay at all.

Oh, Michael Bay is written all over that stupid, stupid sequence with Young Kirk and the car and the cliff. Man, I hate that scene.

But, as I said, "faint air" of Michael Bay. Not that it's TREK as Bay would have made it, full stop. If Bay had made the film, it would have likely been much worse.

Edited by Ryan H.

But at least he had good musical taste, for a kid in the 23rd century. Sorta like me blasting some Mozart.

Devin Faraci at BadAssDigest counts down his 10 Best Moments in STAR TREK History, and it includes one from this film.