Sign in to follow this  

Star Trek

Greenwood shipshape in new 'Trek'

Bruce Greenwood has been cast as Christopher Pike, the Starship Enterprise's first [sic] captain, in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" feature for Paramount.

Hollywood Reporter, November 8

- - -

Of course, as all Trekkies know, the FIRST captain of the Enterprise was not Christopher Pike but Robert April.

Winona Ryder joins 'Star Trek'

Paramount Pictures and director JJ Abrams have set Ryder to play the Vulcan mother of a young Spock (Zachary Quinto).

Variety, November 8

- - -

But... but... Spock's mother is HUMAN... and Ryder is only SIX YEARS older than Quinto...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Boy, I'm pretty much going to have to spoiler-treat this whole thing, aren't I?

Aint-it-cool-News is reporting that

Harlan Ellison, the writer of the

Star Trek episode, "City on the Edge of Forever," is ticked off that the writers of the upcoming film are using his creation, the Guardian of Forever, in their plot, without compensating him. Here's his e-mail:

HARLAN ELLISON

- Monday, November 12 2007 10:19:47

THAT STAR TREK BUSINESS

MARK GOLDBERG or ANYONE ELSE:

Would someone go to that site, and suggest to those people there, that "City" and all its elements EXCEPT specific Star Trek characters, belong to Harlan Ellison--author of that much-lauded episode--by terms of the Separation of Rights clause of the Writers Guild's Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA), and if Mr. Abrams--with whom I'm currently on strike--or anyone else, at Paramount or elsewhere, thinks they're going to use MY creations--whether the City, the Guardians, Sister Edith Keeler, or any other elements CREATED BY HARLAN ELLISON...they had damned well better lose the unilateral arrogance, get in touch with me, or my agent, Marty Shapiro, and be prepared to pay for the privilege of mining the lode I own.

Thank you, and thank Peter David, who just called to alert me, as have you, Mark, to yet another gimmegimme grab by Paramount and the Star trek francchise that makes billions, but withholds recognition or recompense to the artists who labored in that vein.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Edited by CrimsonLine

Oh wow. Wow wow wow wow wow.

But I can't imagine Harlan has a leg to stand on here. I'm not up on all the legalistic mumbo-jumbo, but surely when characters are created for a TV series (or movie series), the rights belong to the producer(s) who COMMISSIONED and BOUGHT those scripts? If not, then why hasn't Harlan sued the makers of all those comics and novels that have dealt with his characters? Is he saying he would have sued the TV producers if these characters had been used in any of the series which took place in the 24th century?

But I can't imagine Harlan has a leg to stand on here. I'm not up on all the legalistic mumbo-jumbo, but surely when characters are created for a TV series (or movie series), the rights belong to the producer(s) who COMMISSIONED and BOUGHT those scripts? If not, then why hasn't Harlan sued the makers of all those comics and novels that have dealt with his characters? Is he saying he would have sued the TV producers if these characters had been used in any of the series which took place in the 24th century?

Maybe he has the rights structured in such a way that he only has rights to filmed or videotaped expressions of his work and characters.

By the way, has anyone else had personal contact with Harlan Ellison? My experience (about a half-dozen years ago when I was a magazine editor) was rather interesting. He has a well-deserved reputation for being a controlling curmudgeon. At that time, he refused to use e-mail, voice mail or do much with the internet... We had a very difficult time working with him... so much so that the story was eventually killed because he refused to grant us permission to use any images of him with the biographical piece we commissioned.

Edited by TexasWill

The above purports to be an e-mail from Ellison.

Ben Cross is Sarek. And ComingSoon is specifying that Winona Ryder is Spock's human mother, Amanda Grayson. FWIW. Edited by NBooth

::crush::

Of course I didn't. What was I thinking? I am a failure.

(But then, I *did* beat him to the punch in this proper thread. And this week has been so rough, I'm acknowledging even the smallest of victories.)

:mellow:

Here are my thoughts:

Someone I read online said that this hull looks exactly like the movie Enterprises - that's not exactly true. I've built computer models of the TOS and TMP Enterprises, so I know whereof I speak. The section between the two crane arms looks like an enlarged version of the shape of the TMP bridge section (Deck A), but from the inner superstructure, it appears to encompass two decks. The flattened section below that looks to contain one deck. This structure perhaps corresponds to what makes up Decks B and C on the TMP Enterprise, but it's much, much wider in circumference, and only one deck thick. Below that is the main curve of the saucer, which looks fairly comparable to the TMP E. The hull has visible phaser banks, but much lower on the hull (closer to the edge) than on the TMP E. The hull plating pattern itself looks a lot like the TMP E. The font on the hull is a modified version of the Starfleet Bold Extended typeface that is on the TMP ship, in that it lacks the red outline that the TMP font features. That makes it kind of midway between the TOS and TMP hull markings.

The warp nacelles look VERY different from the TMP E - a lot closer to the TOS E, in fact. Rounded bussard collectors (the glowy, red parts on the front end) with a fan-shaped structure inside, cylindrical cross-section, all very TOS. But there is an enlarged structure just aft of the bussards that looks a lot like the rubber grip on modern-day ballpoint pens. I used a structure much like that on a starship I designed a few years ago, the Massachusett Class Scout Vessel. The fins at the aft end of the nacelles seem to be smoothly integrated into the nacelle body, rather than emerging at right angles from it.

It's a cool image, and one that gives me hope for the production design element of this film.

Edited by CrimsonLine

FWIW, pictures of my Massachusett Class Scout Vessel:

MassClassRelease01.jpg

MassClassRelease02.jpg

MassClassRelease03.jpg

And yes, the tagline on my background SHOULD sound familiar... :)

Edited by CrimsonLine

Very cool, CrimsonLine.

Me, I can't help wondering if they would have painted the name and insignia on the saucer before they had even finished constructing it.