Sign in to follow this  

Star Trek

Is it possible to be an unexpected side effect of the rapid aging that occurred in Search for Spock? Maybe his aging only appeared to have slowed to a normal pace...and it is having an impact in his later years?

Is it possible that it just has to do with the fact that Leonard Nimoy is freakin' old?

No. ;)

I was addressing the age issue within the context of the series continuity. Tossing out theories.

Nezpop wrote:

: Is it possible to be an unexpected side effect of the rapid aging that occurred in Search for Spock? Maybe his aging only appeared to have slowed to a normal pace...and it is having an impact in his later years?

Ah yes, that possibility had occured to me too, but it slipped my mind by the time I wrote that post.

Buckeye Jones wrote:

: Is it possible that it just has to do with the fact that Leonard Nimoy is freakin' old?

No, the makeup goes much further than that.

Awesome.

I particularly get a kick out of the way they have Captain April's face speaking Captain Pike's dialogue. (April was the first captain of the Enterprise, before Pike, Kirk, Decker and Spock.)

It's a strange, strange world we live in.

Wery cool.

JJ Abrams posted a note at the movie's Facebook page yesterday saying the movie will basically be done, done, done by next week -- sound mix and all. And then, he says, "we're going to flash-freeze it so it's totally fresh for you in May."

I guess that's better than, say, the fact that Wolverine (another movie coming out in May) is going back for reshoots next month, despite being in gestation for so long, etc. It suggests a certain confidence, and a certain preparedness, on the part of Abrams and his crew.

But I dunno, after growing up on stories of how the original Star Wars movies were finished at the last minute, and watching Peter Jackson's crew members freak out as they got down to the wire for The Lord of the Rings and King Kong, the thought that Abrams will be finishing this movie FIVE MONTHS before its release, and will be making absolutely no more tweaks to it during those five months, doesn't seem right.

I say this, of course, as a guy who is so accustomed to filing articles a few days (or less) before they are published (whether online or in dailies/weeklies), that I have a really, really hard time trying not to think about those articles or essays that I've written for magazines and books -- outlets that don't publish until weeks or months after you've finished the work.

I also say this as one who can remember when this movie's release date was GOING to be Christmas Day, i.e. this Thursday. But Paramount decided months ago to push it into the summer, because they figured it would find a bigger audience then. And with all these blizzards, who knows, they're probably right!

The first five pages of the comic-book prequel. Note how the first page announces that the stardate is 64333.4. That would seem to indicate that the comic book begins eight years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, a movie that came out just over six years ago.

Side note: The whole stardating system, which was very inconsistent in the original series, was given a major overhaul when they launched Star Trek: The Next Generation. Now, each stardate is a five-digit number, initially beginning with "4" (because it was the 24th century), and the second digit indicated which season that episode was (so the first-season episodes were all "41xxx.x", the second-season episodes were all "42xxx.x", etc.). Thus, when ST:N came out 15 years after the first season began, its stardate was in the "56xxx.x" range. (Between ST:TNG, Deep Space Nine and Voyager, they had kept adding 1000 to the stardate number every year, so it didn't take them long to get stardates beginning with "5" even though the stories were still taking place in the 24th century.) So, if you keep adding 1000 every year, a stardate in the "64xxx.x" range would be 8 years after ST:N and 23 years after the first episode of ST:TNG (a series that actually began just over 21 years ago).

Hello Peter & all,

As a long time fan of all things Trek I am eagerly awaiting the latest film. Like you say it could go either way-- might be too heavy on the explosions, or it could pave the way for more sequels. Of course the trailer has the obligatory moments of sex and violence.

If it hadn't been for the success of the first Star Wars movie, Star Trek's Motion Picture might not have gotten off the ground. It was too slow, too much a showcase for new special effects, but I think even the most action packed Trek film is more complex and nuanced than the good/evil world of Star Wars.

Interesting to see the young Kirk on a motorcycle, considering Shatner was a big fanatic of cycles in his early days.

Howdy, Phlox! Nice to see your Cheshire-Cat grin around here.

phlox wrote:

: If it hadn't been for the success of the first Star Wars movie, Star Trek's Motion Picture might not have gotten off the ground.

Very true: if memory serves, Paramount was planning on creating a brand-new TV series in the mid-'70s, but then Star Wars came out and convinced Paramount to go big-screen instead. (Leonard Nimoy had no interest in returning to an ongoing TV series as Spock, but they were able to persuade him to come back for the movie; hence, the Vulcan character who was invented to replace Spock, a guy named Sonak, was killed in the early minutes of the movie.)

: It was too slow, too much a showcase for new special effects . . .

No argument there, though I admire the movie for not being just another Star Wars clone. It is, if anything, a 2001: A Space Odyssey meets Solaris clone.

: . . . but I think even the most action packed Trek film is more complex and nuanced than the good/evil world of Star Wars.

It's certainly easier to locate a significant THEME or two in a Trek film, yeah. And when Trek contradicts itself, it often does so knowingly (the needs of how many outweigh the needs of how many, again?): Star Trek is consciously aware of the paradoxes it is raising, whereas Star Wars just got increasingly muddled and self-contradictory over the course of the saga.

phlox wrote:

: If it hadn't been for the success of the first Star Wars movie, Star Trek's Motion Picture might not have gotten off the ground.

Very true: if memory serves, Paramount was planning on creating a brand-new TV series in the mid-'70s, but then Star Wars came out and convinced Paramount to go big-screen instead. (Leonard Nimoy had no interest in returning to an ongoing TV series as Spock, but they were able to persuade him to come back for the movie; hence, the Vulcan character who was invented to replace Spock, a guy named Sonak, was killed in the early minutes of the movie.)

Hoo boy. Trek trivia. No, actually it's more complicated than that. The Vulcan replacement for Spock was to be Lt. Xon, played by David Gautreaux, who wound up playing the commander of the Epsilon IX communications relay station in the film, the one that gets digitized by V'Ger early on. Commander Sonak, the Vulcan who gets improperly rematerialized in the transporter, is a different character.

And yes, I knew all that and wrote that paragraph as-is BEFORE going to Memory Alpha to confirm it was correct, and apply the link. I'm THAT nerdy.

It's certainly easier to locate a significant THEME or two in a Trek film, yeah. And when Trek contradicts itself, it often does so knowingly (the needs of how many outweigh the needs of how many, again?): Star Trek is consciously aware of the paradoxes it is raising, whereas Star Wars just got increasingly muddled and self-contradictory over the course of the saga.

Star Trek grows over time. Star Wars merely continues...

CrimsonLine wrote:

: And yes, I knew all that and wrote that paragraph as-is BEFORE going to Memory Alpha to confirm it was correct, and apply the link. I'm THAT nerdy.

I'm nerdy enough to slap my forehead on reading that paragraph. Yes, I have heard all that before, but somehow my memory condensed the facts into something simpler and ... less accurate.

: Star Trek grows over time. Star Wars merely continues...

Well put.

Well put.

I think we can say: Star Trek grows over time; Star Wars is diminished. :(

Well put.

I think we can say: Star Trek grows over time; Star Wars is diminished. :(

Sigh. Unfortunately, you're right.

Cinematically, anyway. Many of the novels are great, and some of the comics and games, too.

Also wonder about the music for the new film, hopefully better than the "Enterprise" theme song.

The music for the movie will be by Michael Giacchino, composer for LOST, Speed Racer, Ratatouille, Alias, MI:III, the Incredibles, and a lot more. I'm hopeful.

phlox wrote:

: I wonder if Star Trek XI will connect to anything on "Enterprise."

That's a very interesting question, since this movie is supposed to be, on a certain level, a "reboot" of the original series, but connected to the existing continuity. Everything from the original series on is basically up for grabs at this point -- so for all we know, nothing in TNG, DS9 or VOY might ever happen on this movie's timeline -- but depending on how far back the reboot goes, everything that happened in ENT might still be part of this movie's back-story.

Of course, given that ENT is, in some ways, a sequel to Star Trek: First Contact -- the story in which characters from TNG and DS9 (and even VOY, sort of) go back in time to the 21st century -- it would be kind of odd if ENT were still part of the official continuity but TNG etc. were not.

I mean, there is an episode of ENT in which the Borg that came back in time in ST:FC end up sending a signal across the galaxy, which eventually lures the Borg into Federation space in TNG -- so if ENT is still part of this movie's continuity, that means the Borg are going to hit Federation space roughly a century after this movie takes place. They're out there... waiting... coming for us...

Oh, and I guess that probe we saw in ST4:TVH is on its way, too, and will be hitting Earth in a few decades, looking for those extinct humpback whales... unless the timeline has been "rebooted" so far back that the whales were somehow saved from destruction this time around...

Oh, and V'Ger must be on his way, too... (Never mind, for now, that we never sent a third Voyager space probe, much less a sixth.)

I wonder if the old Spock will warn the young Spock (or anyone else in the 23rd century) about these coming threats. Perhaps not; it sounds like the new film will keep him pretty busy with other stuff.

: Also wonder about the music for the new film, hopefully better than the "Enterprise" theme song.

Hmmm. Given all the other things they've done to make this movie more appealing to the kids who knew not Trek, it wouldn't surprise me if they got a rock band to do the theme song or something.

But the Star Trek movies have always been kind of all-over-the-place with their music. Have you heard the weird dance-club version of James Horner's theme for ST3:TSFS? (It's on the movie's official soundtrack album.) Have you heard the pop-jazz Yellowjackets tracks on the ST4:TVH album? The Hiroshima song on ST5:TFF (it's the song Uhura's singing during her striptease)? The Roy Orbison and Steppenwolf tracks on ST:FC? The Irving Berlin tune sung by Data in ST:N (though I don't believe it's on the soundtrack album, per se)?

Anyway. Anything's possible.

Okay, so here's some spoiler-ish speculation about the movie.

I'm starting to think that

Nero and company go back in time and arrive much earlier than I had imagined previously. I had thought that they would arrive just to blast the Kelvin, with a pregnant Winona Kirk aboard, to bits. But given all of the changes we see, especially changes in technology, by Kirk's era, I wonder if they arrive much earlier than that, and their tech gets into Federation hands. Or, alternatively, maybe Nimoy's Spock intentionally alters the timeline, by giving the Federation advanced tech, in order to enable them to prepare for the threat that Nero represents. We know that Nero winds up imprisoned on the Klingon moon of Rura Penthe, but we don't know when that is. Maybe he goes back in time, arriving early enough to kill Winona, but gets captured by the Klingons and imprisoned, escaping only in time to blast the Kelvin to bits? I just can't come up with a logical explanation for the Federation's greatly advanced tech, compared to TOS, other than that some of it comes from the future.

And the writers said that all of the changes are explained well.

Any thoughts?

phlox wrote:

: The rock songs for Zefram Cochrane's character seemed fitting choices.

I agree, to a point. I do find it interesting, though, that the next-generation movies have all used music that already had "oldie" or "classic" status to people living in the 1990s -- whether it be Roy Orbison or Irving Berlin or Gilbert & Sullivan -- whereas the original-series movies made a few fitful attempts to sound like "now" (or to sound like the future as it was envisioned "now").

: The theme music in

: We know that

Nero winds up imprisoned on the Klingon moon of Rura Penthe

. . .

Oh. I did not know that. But I guess it explains all those snowy scenes in the trailer?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. The trailer's snowy scenes, as best as I can figure out, take place in Federation space. But I could well be wrong on that one.

The latest (and probably final) trailer is now up:

BeenToTheMovies.com

It's epic, stunning, and amazing.

FWIW, I commented on the new trailer, and the new movie's apparent similarities to the Terminator franchise, here -- before I had even seen the new trailer. :) (My comments were based on the descriptions coming out of WonderCon.)

Oh, and that major change that takes place on Timeline A (i.e. the timeline where the existing TV shows and movies took place)? Turns out it was revealed in the current issue of Star Trek: Countdown (the comic-book prequel to the movie) BEFORE it was revealed on the back cover of the new movie's novelization.

CrimsonLine, none of those videos were loading for me. But I have seen at least three different copies of it up at YouTube now, so here goes: