Sign in to follow this  

Coen Brothers Films

Films by the Brothers Coen  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My vote goes to Miller's Crossing, which currently accounts for 100% of the tally.

I like it that way, so let's not muck things up, alright?

ha

I'm going for O Brother although don't hold me to it in 5 years time....

Honorable mentions to Fargo, Miller's Crossing, and , ahem, Ladykillers.

Matt

PS HAdn't realised that the only one I haven't seen is "Blood Simple", and that and "Bigt Lebowski" are teh only ones I don't own.

PS HAdn't realised that the only one I haven't seen is "Blood Simple", and that and "Bigt Lebowski" are teh only ones I don't own.

Be warned, Matt: the British DVD releases of Blood Simple (both the single edition and the one included in the boxed set called The Coen Brothers Collection) are cut versions. I can't vouch for the American edition.

Which is my "desert island film"? Which would I pick first to introduce a newbie to the Coens? Which would I first watch by myself on a free evening? I think I'd come up with a different answer for each question!

I agree with this statement. Whenever I think "desert island," I think of me alone on an island, and am never sure if I'd want depressing films/music to commiserate with, or if I'd want lighter fare to cheer me up.

So I'm not thinking "desert island." But I can't decide between O Brother and Fargo. I'll pick O Brother, followed by Fargo, then Raising Arizona.

Ouch, this hurts. I had to go with my first love, Raising Arizona, the best thing Nic Cage and Holly Hunter have ever done. That's my favorite. It's still just as hilarious all these years later.

But when it comes to which of the films I find most meaningful and accomplished, that would have to be Barton Fink.

I cannot wait for No Country for Old Men.

After all these years, my favorite is still Raising Arizona I love its combination of offbeat humor and visual style. O Brother is a close second, and Fargo because of the great performances.

I loved Big Lebowski the first time I saw it, but a repeat viewing didn't do much for me. I saw Miller's Crossing a long time ago, but couldn't get into it. I would like to revisit that one again and give it another chance after reading this thread. Same goes for Barton Fink.

I love every single Coen film (except Intolerable Cruelty which, to be nitpicky, wasn't truly written by them--they did the touch-up draft of the screenplay after it was already written). I had to go with Fargo though. The final round tie-breaker was the fact that it includes the line "Where's Pancakes House?"

Guiltily, because I know Barton Fink is likely better than the movie I chose, "Raising Arizona" gets my vote. Any movie that makes me laugh that hard -- and has that many lines one recalls even years later -- must be good. But Barton Fink, a movie most people either love or hate it seems to me, is one I love also....

"We got us a family unit here!"

Jon

*splutters* I'm absolutely incredulous! As much as I love Raising Arizona, it's a pretty shodily put together film. However, i can understand quite a few votes going to it but only 2 for The Big Lebowski?! It's so good it shines! And nothing for Barton Fink?! Come on people?!

And Oh Brother is painfully over rated. Sorry. It needed to be said.

Edited by gigi

And nothing for Barton Fink?! Come on people?!

I'm a little surprised Barton Fink hasn't snared a vote yet, as well. It's seemed to me that it's been "rediscovered" somewhat since it's DVD release. It's #2 on my list; perhaps that's the problem -- maybe it's runner-up for everybody.

I could've chosen any of 3 films as my "favorite," and I suspect many others were in the same boat. I wouldn't put too much stock in the vote total here, but it's a fun exercise.

*splutters* I'm absolutely incredulous! As much as I love Raising Arizona, it's a pretty shodily put together film. However, i can understand quite a few votes going to it but only 2 for The Big Lebowski?! It's so good it shines! And nothing for Barton Fink?! Come on people?!

And Oh Brother is painfully over rated. Sorry. It needed to be said.

The other vote for The Dude is from me.

My top five would be Lebowski, Barton Fink, Fargo, O Brother and Raising Arizona.

I went with The Man Who Wasn't There because 1) it defied my expectations more than any other Coen Brothers film, 2) the combination of Billy Bob Thornton and Frances McDormand (with Tony Shalhoub in a great supporting performance) is too smashing to pass up, and 3) because I suspected - incorrectly - that it wouldn't garner any other votes.

Now I half-wish I'd picked Blood Simple, for sentimental reasons, since it doesn't currently have any votes. Not only was it the Bros' first, it's the movie that, in the summer after I'd temporarily dropped out of college, almost convinced me to go to film school.

I voted for The Man Who Wasn't There because it is a well executed film as well as a well executed idea for a film. And there are some fantastic shots in the film, but these strike me more as the mimicry of similar films rather than flashes of inspiration by the Coen brothers. Jeffrey Overstreet got the t-shirt somehow.

It was silly of me not to vote for Raising Arizona. It is such a nonchalant and edifying movie.

Edited by MLeary

I suppose the main reason I voted for THe Big Lebowski is because it is the only one of their films that my appreciation of has grown when rewatching. I was bored by it the first time at the cinema (I was young), but I'm continually discovering new things in it. Also, it has by far the tightest of their screenplays. It's wonderfully eliptical, I particularly appreciate how the dialgoue is very nimbly used to demonstrate how these characters are tied in together. Eg. the clip of Bush saying "this aggression will not stand" is picked up by the characters throughout the film.

And, of course, The Dude is the all round modern hero.

One of my most dissapointing American experiences/simulacra was visiting the bowling alley in the film and they didn't have the neon stars on the side. Pah!

Edited by gigi

I like the same things you like about the film, and have watched it numerous times. For some reason it has recently begun to rub me the wrong way, they make a lot of jokes off the back of some rather serious points of social commentary, and then distance themselves from that material by the cleverness of the film. Lebowski just seems to epitomize the apathy of much of young middle class America. Or something like that.

I've seen them all except for Barton Fink.

I went with Miller's Crossing as I will never get the "Danny Boy" scene out of my head, as well as a few others. However, by now you know that I hate comedies, but over the years I have come to love Raising Arizona, one of my wife's favorite films. If it can still make me laugh on the seventeenth viewing, well that is staying power, and it might actually be the best in the bunch regardless of its "shodiness."

If it were a desert island, I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck with Miller's Crossing, but I still believe it to be the best all around film in the bunch. (B.F. aside)

There is a final part of me that is sad I didn't go with Blood Simple. I just love those scenes of the yellow-suited guy with the fly all over his big ol' ugly face.

-s.

PS I have always hated The Big Lebowski -- almost as much as Ken hates Magnolia.

Edited by stef

Stef, you rock.

As if that were ever in question. Stef is one of the most longstanding female contributors to A&F.

My mistrust of The Big Lebowski was confirmed a few years back at a double bill screening with The Man Who Wasn't There at a "Brew and View" event in Chicago. The Man Who Wasn't There is not a funny film, but the ability of the audience to laugh during it the same way they laughed during The Big Lebowski was appalling. Or may I just take everything too seriously.

Stef, you rock.

As if that were ever in question. Stef is one of the most longstanding female contributors to A&F.

Thank you, Mary.

My mistrust of The Big Lebowski was confirmed a few years back at a double bill screening with The Man Who Wasn't There at a "Brew and View" event in Chicago. The Man Who Wasn't There is not a funny film, but the ability of the audience to laugh during it the same way they laughed during The Big Lebowski was appalling. Or may I just take everything too seriously.

You are not at all taking things too seriously on the subject. People call A History of Violence funny, and I can see some kind of subversive humor in it, sure. But it's not Laugh-HaHa funny, like the people in the theater made it out to be.

But I can't fathom people laughing during The Man Who Wasn't There -- perhaps they had one too many that night at the Brew and View?

-s.