Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Taco Town

Anybody hungry for some Taco Town tacos?

Mmmmm-mmmmmmmmm!

I decided to stick this in the "Food & HEALTH" section, because what could be more healthy?

Edited by Christian

Anybody hungry for some Taco Town tacos?

Mmmmm-mmmmmmmmm!

I decided to stick this in the "Food & HEALTH" section, because what could be more healthy?

An A- for creativity. They need to work on their presentation ;)

If a Taco Town opened here in East Tennessee, it would be huge (not unlike most of the people here in East Tennessee).

Have we ever had a thread here about America's obesity epidemic?

MSN has a pretty good site on the subject.

A couple months ago, I was given a project at work that involved taking videotaped lectures from a conference on obesity, sponsored by UT's Health Science Center, and converting it all to online training materials. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the epidemic and have kept my eye on news coverage of the story ever since. I use the word "epidemic" because obesity-related health issues (type-2 diabetes, heart disease, etc.) will soon become the leading cause of death for Americans.

The short answer is, yes, obesity rates are higher in the South, but my understanding is that the correlation has more to do with poverty- and education levels than place (urban vs. rural). In the context of all of human history, it's almost impossible to imagine that this could possibly be true, but in America right now, the poor are more likely to be obese than the wealthy (though their numbers are climbing quickly, too).

Obviously it's a complex issue with any number of contributing factors -- the disappearance of sidewalks, the ready availability of inexpensive processed foods loaded with saturated and trans fats, the growing size of portions, the lack of education about healthy diet, etc. etc. etc.

One reason I've raised the issue here is because, frankly, my least charitable thoughts of late seem directed toward the growing numbers of dangerously obese people in my area, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Edited by Darren H