Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Toy Story 3

304 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

--content deleted--

Posted · Report post

We discussed it some in the thread devoted to Pixar's first two Toy Story movies.

Posted · Report post

Coming in 2009 ... and it won't be directed by John Lasseter. (Which, given how Cars and A Bug's Life turned out, may be for the best.)

Posted · Report post

Toy Story 3 is going 3D.

And so are the previous two.

Press release:

Burbank, CA

Posted · Report post

The big draw: Pixar power

One downside is a problem most computer users suffer -- hardware and software that's out of date all too soon. "To resurrect the Toy Story characters for the third Toy Story [due in 2010] we had to find an old machine somebody still had," Walsh says. "It was being used as a coffee table. If they hadn't saved it, we'd have lost the original Buzz and Woody animations."

The Independent, February 6

Big Media Companies Want Back in the Game

In Pixar's coming movie "Toy Story 3," Woody the cowboy and his toy-box friends are dumped in a day-care center after their owner, Andy, leaves for college.

Wall Street Journal, February 19

Posted · Report post

Beetlejuice Cast in Toy Story 3!

Jodi Benson . . . also revealed to the IESB that her Barbie will be cuddling up to none other than Beetlejuice himself, Michael Keaton, as Ken in the new film.

Keaton worked with Pixar previously voicing Chick Hicks in 2006's CARS.

IESB.net, August 24

Posted · Report post

I am working on setting up an interview with Andrew Stanton, the fellow who brought us Finding Nemo and WALL-E.

The interview will explore Pixar's storytelling methods, hopefully give us some ideas about their brainstorming and the stories they look to for inspiration.

I'm very excited about the opportunity, and I want to make the most of it. Are there specific questions you'd ask him? Questions about specific Pixar projects, about him personally, about how to tell a good story that reaches children and adults?

Posted · Report post

Variety had a story on Pixar's "chaotic" story development a while ago.

There's a famous anecdote about how Michael Eisner saw a rough cut of Finding Nemo and came back to his office and said this would be Pixar's first big flop, it would be their first big "reality check", it would put Pixar in a weaker position when it came to renegotiating their contract with Disney, etc. And this anecdote has been passed around as evidence of how out-of-touch Eisner was. But it turns out the rough cut he saw had a LOT of stuff that didn't make the final cut, so Eisner wasn't really all that out-of-touch after all. Jim Hill posted some details on this back in January, when there was some negative advance buzz about WALL*E. Pixar had made changes to their film and overcome the buzz before, and he figured they would do it again.

Posted · Report post

Will Paul Newman's Character Return For 'Cars 2'?

Lasseter is adamant, however, that the decision will ultimately be beholden to story, and not tradition, confessing he's not averse to recasting the role with a sound-alike actor, similar to what the company decided to do with Slinky Dog, a character voiced by Jim Varney in "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" before the actor's death in 2000.

"In 'Toy Story 3,' for instance ... we found actually an old friend of [Varney's] who sounds an awful lot like him - another actor that's going to be doing that voice," Lasseter said of the character's return. "It'll be hard to replace Paul Newman, but we don't know yet."

MTV News, November 18

Posted · Report post

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: Another mediocre Pixar trailer for another (probably) great Pixar movie. And does Pixar not realize that Woody & Co.'s handmade logo was much more interesting than Buzz's generic one?

Word.

Posted · Report post

Incidentally, the "villain" in Toy Story 3 was revealed in a scene in Up that also appeared in the trailer for that film. (This is similar to how Nemo had a cameo in Monsters Inc. a year and a half before Finding Nemo came out.) I'm sure you can figure out who it is and where the character pops up if you Google the relevant terms.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you for moving my post of the trailer. The search tool didn't help me track down this thread (although I suspected it existed.) I'd prefer to have moderators combine duplicate threads, though, rather than have my posts disregarded.

Another mediocre Pixar trailer for another (probably) great Pixar movie. And does Pixar not realize that Woody & Co.'s handmade logo was much more interesting than Buzz's generic one?

Indeed.

But I don't mind trailers that do their job: To announce an upcoming project. No, it's not a home-run, but I find it refreshing and, frankly, a relief that they're not teasing us with plot points. At least this trailer doesn't give us any provocation to start speculating about the quality of the movie we can't yet see. But it does assure us that the key voice talents are back on board, and the smile-worthy sense that these characters live on.

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Overstreet wrote:

: Thank you for moving my post of the trailer.

Yer welcome. I almost posted a much lower-resolution version of the trailer that was making the rounds yesterday, but figured I'd hold out for a better one.

: The search tool didn't help me track down this thread (although I suspected it existed.)

When the search tool fails, there's always Google. (I also linked to this thread, along with the threads for other upcoming Pixar films, in the thread I started a few days ago for The Bear and the Bow.)

: I'd prefer to have moderators combine duplicate threads, though, rather than have my posts disregarded.

I agree -- provided that the moderators fold new threads into the old ones, and not vice versa. You want the URLs for the brand-new threads to vanish, rather than the URLs for the threads that have been around for years and have had time to accumulate any number of links from within A&F and from other websites altogether. (Though if the vanished threads automatically redirected to the existing threads, then it might not matter so much. Still, better safe than sorry.)

: I find it refreshing and, frankly, a relief that they're not teasing us with plot points. At least this trailer doesn't give us any provocation to start speculating about the quality of the movie we can't yet see.

Heh. No, for that, you have to see the Up trailer and the sneak peek it gives us of the Toy Story 3 "villain". ;)

Posted · Report post

Any guesses as to who that is voicing the brief little grunt from Slinky?

Posted · Report post

Any guesses as to who that is voicing the brief little grunt from Slinky?

My guess is it was pulled somewhere out of TS or TS2, or perhaps from Varney's outtakes from those films.

Dale

Posted · Report post

Josh Hurst wrote:

: Any guesses as to who that is voicing the brief little grunt from Slinky?

Don't know the name, but we have a basic idea:

"In 'Toy Story 3,' for instance ... we found actually an old friend of [Varney's] who sounds an awful lot like him - another actor that's going to be doing that voice," Lasseter said of the character's return.

Posted · Report post

Ah, okay; I had missed the news that they had cast someone in that roll, and assumed it was something more like what Dale suggested.

Posted · Report post

Another fine bit of casting:

Speaking at a Disney presentation in London

Posted · Report post

Jim Hill reveals one or two more quasi-spoilers that I hadn't heard before (though they will apparently be revealed in the next Toy Story 3 trailer).

Posted · Report post

The international trailer:

Posted · Report post

Please, please, please let the "lackluster Pixar trailer doesn't equal lackluster Pixar movie" principle hold.

Even though I can't imagine where this story could possibly go that would be satisfying.

C'mon, Pixar guys. Amaze us again.

Posted · Report post

Meh. With the trailers, my nostalgia for TOY STORY was enough to keep me excited. That clip, however, was dullsville. Couldn't they have selected something more exciting?