Sign in to follow this  

Toy Story 3

It (Totoro) was actually mentioned a couple times. Jeffrey mentioned it in a hidden fashion and Op0us mentioned it directly. :)

We just watched "Toy Story 3" on Blu-ray for Family Movie Night. We had seen it in the theaters when it first came out, this was our second time through it.

Wow, what a great movie.

One thing that struck me, when the opening sequence was barreling along - the opening is about Woody trying to stop a runaway train, and in some ways, so is the rest of the film. In the end, Woody and his friends decide to get off the train entirely.

And I am pretty sure that the image of those toys holding hands and resolutely staring death in the face - TOGETHER - will be an image that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Guest Pax   
Guest Pax
I am pretty sure that the image of those toys holding hands and resolutely staring death in the face - TOGETHER - will be an image that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

The incinerator scene is very powerful. I was trying to think of parallels to it, and what sprang to mind was Jackson's The Return of the King when Sam and Frodo, the battle fought, face seemingly inescapable death together (also by a sloping incineration, interestingly enough--and rescue by the "claw" yet to come).

I guess the profound truth here is that we're all on the same slope as these characters; we're just good at pretending we aren't aware of it. I hope how I respond to the grace of God (the unmerited, un-looked-for claw?) on my slide to the grave is informed by honesty and humility and an understanding that, at the "end of all things", apart from the Gospel mission itself, it is my fellow travelers that have mattered most.

Edited by Pax

If what they're saying about Lasseter's reputation is true, can you imagine the discussions within Pixar when *this* character was introduced?