Vigilantes of Love

Caleb

I thought I'd start a thread on my favorite band of all time. Any other fans out there? Detractors? What are your favorite VOL records?

Myself, I can never decide. I listen to Killing Floor and think it's their best, then I hear To the Roof of the Sky and change my mind, then I spin Audible Sigh and place it at the top.

IMHO, Killing Floor is Mallonee's most original-sounding work. It has a great combination of driving folk-punk and raw, acoustic ballads. The songwriting is quirky and sometimes disturbing. I love the instrumentation and the production. Highlights would have to be "Undertow," "River of Love," "Motel Room," and, of course, "Real Down Town."

To the Roof of the Sky is sprawling--maybe too long by a song or two--but brilliant. It was recorded independently after the band left their label. Great variation in style, tempo, and volume--from loud roots-rock to country ballads to bluegrass-inflected tunes There are several classics on this album--"Run through My Veins," "To the Roof of the Sky," "Avalanche," "On the Verge," and "Further up the Road."

Audible Sigh is solid from beginning to end. This is probably the closest they came to "mainstream" alt country. "Resplendent," "She Walks on Roses," "Goes Without Saying," "Solar System," "Nothing Like a Train"--all classics.

More later.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

--Groucho Marx

I need to hear Killing Floor. I like Audible Sigh. His solo album Perfumed Letter has some good melodies and good lyrics, but there is much distinction in the pop-oriented musicianship on that album.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Well, mrmando, I wouldn't say that Killing Floor wins hands down. It's certainly one of VOL's best, but very different stylistically from what followed. (I'm almost glad Mallonee didn't attempt KF 2. Mark Heard's production gave KF quite a unique sound, and of course Heard wouldn't have been around to produce a follow-up. sad.gif ) So it's almost like comparing apples and oranges.

Your fondness for this album doesn't have anything to do with the prominence of mandolin in many of the songs, does it? smile.gif (Unless the "mando" in "mrmando" refers to something else.)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

--Groucho Marx