Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Over the Rhine - The Trumpet Child

"Trouble" has become such a hit at their shows for a year now, it's hard to believe that it won't actually be out on an album until August. But it's great to finally have a studio recording of it. "If a Song Could Be President" is cute; I wonder how many of the folks mentioned in the song will actually hear it.

I love these photos. Karin looks like she's having trouble holding back a laugh in the photo with the shotgun...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Incidentally, has anyone seen a full tracklisting for this album? I know it's going to have 11 songs total, and by my count I've heard 7 of them in concert, so I'm curious about the other four!

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Well, I just bought my tickets to the show at the Knitting Factory in LA, a good four months in advance.

Yup, I'm planning to be there as well. I wonder if enough A&Fers will be there for a little meet and greet.

Well, I just bought my tickets to the show at the Knitting Factory in LA, a good four months in advance.

Yup, I'm planning to be there as well. I wonder if enough A&Fers will be there for a little meet and greet.

That'd be neat. Any other LA-types on the board? I'm actually pretty glad I got them four months in advance, because all of the direct-from-the-band presale tickets are already gone.

I've actually been busy collecting the band's back catalog since Drunkard's Prayer, so it'll be slightly odd to hear them back at the spare jazzy material they're focusing on now, and I was a little sad to think, if it's an "album" tour, we won't be hearing too much of the old favorites. Still, having heard the two mp3s Jeffrey posted, I'm properly psyched once again.

Edited by N.K. Carter

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

Last night, I went to my first OtR live show. They blew the roof off The 930 Art Center here in Louisville. If Karin is letting it all go vocally as she claims she is, she's gonna make people pass out halfway through the show. The band is having an incredible time on stage, and the arrangements sound tight with that dangerous, unscripted feel.

The best line all night was from Lindford about the title track from The Trumpet Child: "And I wondered, what does God have on his Ipod?"

Here's the set list (Mickey, the drummer who channels the Muppet Animal when he plays, had his wife join them on stage to sing backing vocals on some songs):

fever

born

long lost brother (beautiful three part harmoniies w/K, L & molly)

nothing is innocent

the trumpet child

who'm i kiddin'

trouble

we're gonna pull through (K&L only)

drunkard's prayer (K&L only)

and can it be (w/molly on harmony/backing vocals, harkened back to and as good as this was w/terry)

firefly

ohio

bpd

orphan girl (w/the gospelly acapella opening)

----

goodbye charles

hush now

fool (w/molly on backing vocals and dancing w/mickey to celebrate their 11th anniversary)

And yes, Mickey and Molly dancing there at the end was a very sweet moment in the concert. Just a night of great fun and great music.

recordplayerposter.jpg

A rather glorious redesign of the website, with all of the lyrics from The Trumpet Child, a new (lengthy) interview, and a rave review from Paste Magazine calling this the best Over the Rhine record ever.

Wow.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Just posted this on my blog:

"I don't want to waste your time with music you don't need," sing Karin Bergquist at the beginning of Over the Rhine

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Is there a link for tomorrow's webcast? I checked the overtherhine website and saw the note about the webcast, but no specific link for where to actually listen. Any idea if this is just going to pop up on their site tomorrow or something?

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

You have my mouth watering, Jeff. And not just for Over the Rhine. Dark chocolate and red wine, I could do with that about now!

I can vaguely remember The Trumpet Child, and feeling quite inspired, can't wait to hear it again in full production mode. Got my tickets yesterday for the second showing. I know I know, some fan I am! I'd do both if I could, for sure. I am bringing company though!

Doesn't that earn you points or something, bringing people to their first OTR concert, just like you get points for bringing guests to church? :)

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Guest thom_jurek

Sorry to deflate the hero worshipo balloon but TC just doesn't work for me. My review will reflect that. I feel like I've heard it ALL before from them, and better.

My thoughts.

"And they have every reason to be confident and increasingly bold in their songwriting, but also to step back, shake off their tendency for grim introspection, and have some fun."

I won't begrudge them their fun, but I think they're much better at grim introspection.

Edited by Jeff Kolb

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Sorry to deflate the hero worship balloon

Well, as I don't have a "hero worship balloon," I feel no deflation.

I just enjoy the music.

If I didn't, I'd say so.

I suppose you could have called R.E.M. "heroes" of mine. Then they released Around the Sun, and I thought it was a disaster, and said so. Being a fan of a particular band doesn't necessarily blind me to whether or not that music is any good.

Now, I *do* agree that Over the Rhine have recorded stronger albums before. I don't agree with the Paste review that it's the greatest ever (but I don't accuse Jason Killingsworth of having a "hero worship balloon). And, for what that's worth, I think some of the material here (especially "Entertaining Thoughts") sounds a bit too familiar.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

By the way, at the Glen Workshop in Santa Fe last Saturday, OTR played a new arrangement of a song that's been around for a while but has yet to be recorded: "Only God Can Save Us Now." I've heard it performed live, but this was a whole new version, and much better for it.

Linford also told the audience of about 500 that they had been invited to perform on a nationally syndicated live radio show with Steve Earle that very evening. And they turned it down because playing for this little community meant so much to them.

And it meant a lot to the Glen community... that was obvious.

The set included "I Don't Want to Waste Your Time," "Trouble," "Nothing is Innocent," "Only God Can Save Us Now," "Born," "The Trumpet Child," "Ohio," "If a Song Could Be President," and "Orphan Girl."

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

AOL has the entire album streamed on their site here.

It's pretty good. I may still be trying to get rid of the bad taste OtR left in my mouth from a concert of theirs I helped organize a few months ago (long story), but I just can't get past the 'pretty good' stage. There are a few tracks that hang on after I stop listening (the title track, "Entertaining Thoughts," "It a Song..."), but some of the tunes just drift by, no matter how many times I try to catch them.

So I'm seeing OtR live for the first time tomorrow night at the Knitting Factory. I blame all of you if my expectations are too high.

Anyone going to be at the LA show and want to say hello?

Nathaniel K. Carter

www.nkcarter.com

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books." - C.S. Lewis

So I'm seeing OtR live for the first time tomorrow night at the Knitting Factory. I blame all of you if my expectations are too high.

Anyone going to be at the LA show and want to say hello?

I'll be going tonight. I don't know if we'll see each other but I'll be the guy in the Cubs shirt.

Twas a good concert. The venue was a little small, and I wouldn't have pegged 80% of the crowd as OtR fans, but apparently quite a few of them were. Mostly new fans, I think... Ohio got a lot of cheers when it was played, but Latter Days as the second encore didn't get nearly the reception it deserved.

On one hand this is probably the most musical talent I'll ever see on a stage at one time in my life (assuming I never see Rush live), but on the other it really wasn't the right timing for my first OtR concert. Still, their music is pretty universal, and the musicianship displayed tonight was truly remarkable.

I wish they'd make a little more use of their tremendous back catalog, but that's mostly because I haven't really gotten into The Trumpet Child yet. Old songs they played were Born, BPD, Stella's Tarantella, Latter Days, and maybe one or two more that slipped my mind. Most of the songs were from Trumpet Child and they played two songs off Snow Angels, which they're apparently "releasing" soon, even though I've had a copy for what seems like a very very long time.

But it was good. Hearing the Trumpet Child stuff live has really made me look at it differently, and I expect I'll stop skipping past songs from it when they come up on my ipod now.

This was the set list for the great show at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood:

I Don't Wanna Waste Your Time

Fever

Born

I'm On a Roll

Let's Spend the Day in Bed

Nothing is Innocent

The Trumpet Child

Trouble

North Pole Man

Goodbye Charles

Entertaining Thoughts

Ohio

BPD

Orphan Girl

Encores

Hush Now

If a Song Could Be President

Don't Wait for Tom

Latter Days

I think I have been so mesmerized by Karen's voice at other concerts that I have not noticed how fine a keyboard player Linford is. There were several excellent guitar solos, most notably on Orphan Girl, Let's Spend the Day, and BPD. The drumming was outstanding throughout. I think Orphan Girl was the highlight for me. Karen shared that Gillian Welch (she didn't mention her by name)was one of her favorite songwriters. The four part harmony by the entire band was stunning, as was THE VOICE and the funky country guitar thing. I kept thinking of the little orphans on my case load. BPD was the band at its most passionate, professional and thrilling.

Leading up to Nothing is Innocent, Karen shared how the band had been invited to the White House for an arts event. Not entirely enamored with the current occupants, they decided to attend anyways because dialog is good. When asked what they want to accomplish with their music, they asserted that they want to give people permission not to live in fear. She stated that this was met with pregnant silence.

Prior to Trumpet Child, Linford shared that his first memory was of a trumpet at a revival meeting with sawdust all around. He knew that he wanted to be "up there" where that sound was coming from. He then spoke at length about the symbol of the trumpet in so many of the hymns of his youth, and ended by asking, "What is on God's ipod?"

They announced that the Christmas tour would be coming to the west coast in 08 (hence the 2 Christmas songs), and Karen encouraged everyone to try a Show Pony, a "fabulous" drink she discovered in Australia (and added to the lyrics of On a Roll). As If a Song was winding down, Linford suggested that Bob Dylan should represent us at the UN. I could agree with this far more than the song's choice for AG.

The band reportedly was disgusted by the conditions in the dressing room, etc. But they rose high above the squalor and stench and made a beautiful noise in spite of it all. So many Christians spend much of their time decrying what is ugly and perverse about them. OTR made something beautiful instead.

I'm so glad that the flying hamburger didn't dissuade me from walking into the Knitting Factory. A block away, a naked woman raced passed me, stopping just long enough to curse and fling a moldy burger from a take home box onto my tennis shoe. Then she ran down the center of Hollywood Blvd. And this was one of the more serene nights I have experienced there...

Edited by baxter

It is not listed on their site, but OtR will play a free show in Harrisburg, PA at Whitaker Center (Stage 2) on Nov 2 at 12 pm. This is an XPN Free @ Noon show and will be broadcast on the air, so even if you can't make it to the show you can listen online live, or later when it is added to the archives. Presumably the RSVP sign-up for this show will be available after next week's Free @ Noon concert is over. This was announced last night at a Cowboy Junkies show and confirmed by a listing on Whitaker's site.

Might as well put this here. Saw OtR last night at the Variety Playhouse in ATL. AMAZING SHOW. The only other time I've seen them was a year and a half or two ago in Los Angeles. It was a good show, but WAY laid back. Something about this show just seemed more enthusiastic, energetic... Don't know if they had the same drummer or not, but I doubt it, 'cause I think I would've remembered him. Dude was absolutely smokin' on the kit last night. Overall: very fun, playful, bluesy show, with some serious touches of "rock" thrown in for good measure. A good time was had by all...

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."