Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

The A&F film.

I don't, of course, mean a film about A&F, since that movie would induce spontaneous narcolepsy. No, what I mean is that we have a fair number of A&Fers whose talents would serve them in film creation: We have writers, we have actors, we have artists, we have people who have made well into four figures through their composing endeavors (hi), et al. Yet, to my knowledge, there has never been a time where a group of people on this board have gotten together and said to ourselves, "Selves, with the combined talents we have, we could really create a kick-butt short film." Given the focus of this board (or at least the initial focus), I'm a little surprised by the lack of any actual cinema to be created by a group of A&Fers. (Of course, some individual A&Fers have created films, such as this sucky one, but that's not the point.)

I'm not necessarily trying to start a project, but I'm curious why there's never been one. Difficulties of geography, probably?

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

The Chicago contigent (FKACANSaFDBG Productions) has put out a number of films. Mike H. has been behind the camera a few times, and three of us (guess which three) actually put a great deal of time into a 9 minute film that still isn't finished.

It could be. And it would have been by the last Flickerings if there were a director type in the local background pushing the editor and sound technician to whip up a rough cut. There are about four hours of film there a-waiting our editor's gentle touch.

And there was another one planned after the completion of this first short (scripted and everything), I don't hesitate in the least to say that we will be looking at starting that one next summer.

Edited by MLeary

We have writers, we have actors, we have artists, we have people who have made well into four figures through their composing endeavors (hi), et al.

Hey, I've made four figures with my composing too.

Depending, of course, on where you put the decimal point.

M:

: The Chicago contigent (FKACANSaFDBG Productions) has put out

: a number of films.

Good job Chicagoians. Are they online for us to see? (Don't worry: I can't complain if they're not, since I haven't gotten around to putting any of my four films online. One of them, my favorite, might be lost forever -- I need to e-mail the dude who has the original and see if I can get it somehow.)

Still, though, it seems as though there ought to be some way to make a collaborative film despite being geographically decentralized. I'm not sure what that way is, however. Maybe an A&F album instead...

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

We will have to finish it up, and then it will be available to all, free of charge.

I don't see why the submission of footage to a central location wouldn't work out. Theoretically, one could give a set amount of time to each submission and then edit them together a la 13 Conversations.... Perhaps some sort of specific theme could be chosen. It seems like it would only work if one person agreed to be editor of the entire project and operated according to feedback from the team. Things like You Tube make this perfectly feasible.

I've actually got an idea for a Rashomon-style, film noir zombie picture, in case anyone wants in. :) Now all's I need is a camera. And to finish writing the thing of course.

I don't, of course, mean a film about A&F, since that movie would induce spontaneous narcolepsy.

A movie about this particular internet community would be interesting, IMO; it would be a series of vignettes that show mostly middle-aged, intellectual men (and a few women) typing passionately about movies and philosophical stuff. Imagine the powerful non-verbal performances! :D

A movie about this particular internet community would be interesting, IMO; it would be a series of vignettes that show mostly middle-aged, intellectual men (and a few women) typing passionately about movies and philosophical stuff. Imagine the powerful non-verbal performances! :D

Hey, who you callin' "intellectual"?

That said, anyone who's interested in the 2007 48 hr film festival contest in Cincinnati let me know. We could get a team together.

That said, anyone who's interested in the 2007 48 hr film festival contest in Cincinnati let me know. We could get a team together.

If I am not mistaken, Mike H did pretty well at one of the 48-hour Film Festivals.

The Chicago contigent (FKACANSaFDBG Productions) has put out a number of films. Mike H. has been behind the camera a few times, and three of us (guess which three) actually put a great deal of time into a 9 minute film that still isn't finished.

It could be. And it would have been by the last Flickerings if there were a director type in the local background pushing the editor and sound technician to whip up a rough cut. There are about four hours of film there a-waiting our editor's gentle touch.

And there was another one planned after the completion of this first short (scripted and everything), I don't hesitate in the least to say that we will be looking at starting that one next summer.

Hey, I have heard stories about the making of that 9 minute piece. I also began to believe it may have been an urban legend around these parts.

There have been other attempts to shoot some projects together but situations of personal lives haven't always lined up. I still look forward to shooting with mdsteves, if we can make it work.

Edited by Thom(asher)

M. Dale Prins:

(Don't worry: I can't complain if they're not, since I haven't gotten around to putting any of my four films online. One of them, my favorite, might be lost forever -- I need to e-mail the dude who has the original and see if I can get it somehow.)

:blink:

How did that happen? I'm paranoid about loaning copies of albums to friends since high school taught me they more often than don't come back...

MLeary:

I don't see why the submission of footage to a central location wouldn't work out. Theoretically, one could give a set amount of time to each submission and then edit them together a la 13 Conversations.... Perhaps some sort of specific theme could be chosen. It seems like it would only work if one person agreed to be editor of the entire project and operated according to feedback from the team. Things like You Tube make this perfectly feasible.

This is an exceptional idea! You Tube be buggered (I'm still not sure if You Tube is the best thing since Google or the worst thing since Survivor), I'd like to see this happen. I'll volunteer as editor (I've got plenty of experience with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects) if we can get a theme and actual submissions. Plus, to be honest, despite the stories you may have heard about this town, I'm bored to death here in Vegas -- I'd love to participate in something that would make me feel a sense of real accomplishment.

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

How did [someone other than you end up with the only copy of your film]? I'm paranoid about loaning copies of albums to friends since high school taught me they more often than don't come back...

No, no, nothing like that. "S.C." was made on Super-8 for a one-reel, in-camera-edited local film exhibition, where the first time you see the developed film is in front of 200 people. The organizer of the festival kept all the films at the end, saying that he was going to transfer them to a digital format and then give us back the original film and a digital version. Somehow, that never happened, but prompted by this thread I e-mailed the guy yesterday, and he's confident that somewhere he has either my original or a MiniDV with the film on it. So, we'll see.

Dale

Hi. Since I brought up A&F collaboration and such: I have this 60-second film I've been wanting to do for awhile now, but I need the narration translated into a non-English language (I couldn't care less which one), and I need someone to, y'know, read the translated narration as a voiceover. Any takers?

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Hi. Since I brought up A&F collaboration and such: I have this 60-second film I've been wanting to do for awhile now, but I need the narration translated into a non-English language (I couldn't care less which one), and I need someone to, y'know, read the translated narration as a voiceover. Any takers?

Dale

How about Albanian?

Dale

I believe one of the posters in this thread can do French. (please step up)

MLeary:

This is an exceptional idea! You Tube be buggered (I'm still not sure if You Tube is the best thing since Google or the worst thing since Survivor), I'd like to see this happen. I'll volunteer as editor (I've got plenty of experience with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects) if we can get a theme and actual submissions. Plus, to be honest, despite the stories you may have heard about this town, I'm bored to death here in Vegas -- I'd love to participate in something that would make me feel a sense of real accomplishment.

I liked this idea too. When you say, "submission of footage to a central location," do you mean a central location online where we would upload clips or do you mean mailing miniDVs or CD/DVD ROM? I would offer editing assistance but due to time constraints and another project ;) I just don't think it would be possible this time around. Maybe the next one.

There is an interesting underground filmmaking festival here that, I think, might be a good way to begin a project such as this. I will explain my understanding of how it works in my next post (got to work).

Edited by Thom(asher)

I believe one of the posters in this thread can do French. (please step up)

Non, merci. Prins, would Koine Greek be okay?

I don't know what I mean by "central location," Thom. I was envisioning actually doing everything online somehow.

I don't know what I mean by "central location," Thom. I was envisioning actually doing everything online somehow.

We would definitely need to work out some logistics for online, as well as, determine what quality the final output should be or the final presentation forum. Uploading and downloading .avi files or .aiff files could be quite time consuming, unless the larger files were cut into small clips which would make editing a bit more painful. I suppose this could be determined after the actual choice of project.

Buckeye:

: How about Albanian?

M:

: would Koine Greek be okay?

Anything that screams pretentious and artsy would be okay.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

...that would be French...

French would be artsy but using a dead, ancient language without subtitles would be both pretentious and artsy.

Yes, but my film (to titled whatever "The Change" is in the language I end up using) would make absolutely no sense without subtitles. Now, a dead ancient language with subtitles would still be both pretentious and artsy, at least in my book.

Dale

I still can't believe that Darryl used this thread to take a pot shot at Survivor.

-s.

Yes, but my film (to titled whatever "The Change" is in the language I end up using) would make absolutely no sense without subtitles. Now, a dead ancient language with subtitles would still be both pretentious and artsy, at least in my book.

Dale

I understand. Mel Gibson didn't have the guts to follow through on something like that himself. Maybe it is just too pretentious ;)

Edited by Thom(asher)

Also, regarding "The Change," if someone has or is willing to shoot approximately five minutes of continuous footage following a 30ish man (who is unaware of the camera) in an urban enviornment, you can be my film's DP (and potentially get in the IMDB!). Any format's fine, be it digital or film -- Super8 would be great, actually. (Also, you need to get the subject's permission, of course.) I could be the one to do it, but I really know very few 30ish men besides myself, and I'm trying to go two straight films without Matthew Prins, sucky actor. Besides, ain't collaboration great, etc.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Also, regarding "The Change," if someone has or is willing to shoot approximately five minutes of continuous footage following a 30ish man (who is unaware of the camera) in an urban enviornment, you can be my film's DP (and potentially get in the IMDB!). Any format's fine, be it digital or film -- Super8 would be great, actually. (Also, you need to get the subject's permission, of course.) I could be the one to do it, but I really know very few 30ish men besides myself, and I'm trying to go two straight films without Matthew Prins, sucky actor. Besides, ain't collaboration great, etc.

Dale

Now this sounds like an interesting opportunity.

Buckeye:

: How about Albanian?

M:

: would Koine Greek be okay?

Anything that screams pretentious and artsy would be okay.

Dale

Russian.

It would be coming from an old art community, periodically repressed, repressing, and returning.