Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

The A&F film.

What about Latin? That's pretty dead.

I'm seeing potential for several short films here ... what if little groups of you all got together and made your films, and then put them all together as a sort of film collage? And you could call it The Arts and Faith Film. Ooh, I like it.

I'm so sad. I doubt I'll be able to participate in this, simply because I won't have time (I'm trying to get my own films made right now).

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah ...

So does this mean the voiceover has to be male, then?

No, actually -- the VO is a third-person narrator. Somber is the most important quality.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

The role of cinematographer has been filled. The role of translator and/or narrator is still open has also been filled.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I'm starting to imagine the possibilities ... what if Ted Baehr saw it?

If he gave it a "wholesome" I think I'd go hang myself. Sorry, just had to get that line in somehow.

...or The Arts & Faith On-Line Film Festival !

Yeah, forget the festival circuit, why don't we start our own? Or has that already been done, and I'm behind on the news?

But seriously. Why doesn't everyone go out and make their own film (some collaborations could be bigger than others), and then we put them all together in a giant film collage? Yea? Nay? Is that how you spell "nay"? :D

Yeah, forget the festival circuit, why don't we start our own? Or has that already been done, and I'm behind on the news?

But seriously. Why doesn't everyone go out and make their own film (some collaborations could be bigger than others), and then we put them all together in a giant film collage? Yea? Nay? Is that how you spell "nay"? :D

There is a film festival very similar to your collage idea here in Chicago, although it has a bit more structure to it.

What they do is they have a basic premise to the film (ex. guys gets off work and goes to a movie). From here each person or group is assigned part of the timeline. For instance, the first group gets "guy leaving work and entering subway," second group is assigned "guy gets in subway and arrives on his street," third group is responsible for "guy getting to home and leaving for theatre," etc until the last group gets "guy makes it to the movie." Each of these pieces is restricted to a 2 minute time frame and handed in. An editor puts the timeline together into a final piece for viewing. This all takes place in 24 hours.

Very similar to a collage idea but with a loose structure.

Why is it always about the "guy?" Sounds anti-feminist to me.

-s.

Why is it always about the "guy?" Sounds anti-feminist to me.

-s.

Why is it that if it is about a "guy" it is automatically anti-feminist?

Depending on how scenes were filmed, it could be an extremely pro-feminist statement.

Say, for instance, the "guy" wears tights and enjoys it to extreme measures.

stef:

I still can't believe that Darryl used this thread to take a pot shot at Survivor.

Nonsense! I was trying to determine the worth of YouTube using well-reasoned analogies... :D

Thom(asher):

There is a film festival very similar to your collage idea here in Chicago, although it has a bit more structure to it.

What they do is they have a basic premise to the film (ex. guys gets off work and goes to a movie). From here each person or group is assigned part of the timeline...

I think this project might turn out better if we decided upon a basic premise and each constructed a short film out of a central idea. What you describe reminds me of the schoolroom/writer's workshop activity where everyone writes one sentence on a piece of paper, passes it to their right and writes a sentence continuing the story on the sheet of paper they have received. Invariably, by the end of the exercise, all the stories are dull and incoherent.

Thom(asher):

What they do is they have a basic premise to the film (ex. guys gets off work and goes to a movie). From here each person or group is assigned part of the timeline...

I think this project might turn out better if we decided upon a basic premise and each constructed a short film out of a central idea. What you describe reminds me of the schoolroom/writer's workshop activity where everyone writes one sentence on a piece of paper, passes it to their right and writes a sentence continuing the story on the sheet of paper they have received. Invariably, by the end of the exercise, all the stories are dull and incoherent.

Which, I suppose, could be the outcome of a similar film construction. One never knows.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. But why must they all share a common idea?

Perhaps we could have somekind of themed segue between short films. Any ideas?

And what I was implying in my post was that we start our own film festival. Unless that's already been done.

I try to support this one as much as possible, as do many A&Frs

I am with you on this Mike, and Mike H. However, that film festival is not a dedicated outlet for filmmakers or filmmaking, which is what I think a couple of people in this thread are speaking to.

There have been talks of online film festivals around these parts before but nothing has ever really materialized. I am always interested in where this conversation will go.

Edited by Thom(asher)

Flickerings is the official film festival of Arts & Faith, fwtw. It definitely features original work and hosts filmmaking seminars.

You could also check out the God on Film festival in NYC, but their website hasn't been updated for this year, so they may be caput. Jason entered there last year.

I think it's great that Flickerings is the official film festival of Arts & Faith.

I know that Flickerings "features original work and hosts filmmaking seminars" but as I stated, it is not solely dedicated to that endeavor like film festivals in the vein of the 48 Hour film festival. That is what is really being discussed here. Flickerings wasn't birthed here but I think the official support is great!! However, I still think there is room for the idea of collaboration and/or a potential online film festival discussion.

Flickerings is the official film festival of Arts & Faith, fwtw. It definitely features original work and hosts filmmaking seminars.

Well, I'll have to look into it, then.

I am with you on this Mike, and Mike H. However, that film festival is not a dedicated outlet for filmmakers or filmmaking, which is what I think a couple of people in this thread are speaking to.

There have been talks of online film festivals around these parts before but nothing has ever really materialized. I am always interested in where this conversation will go.

The only problem with online film festivals is that they are online. To me, at least with current technology, watching film online is like listening to live concerts at archive.org. They are good reference points to the real thing, but that is about it. Part of that has to do with my association of film with the process of seeing a film, something which may change over time as definitions of film and video blur even more. I suppose if I could watch short films off of youtube or video.google at high resolutions in full screen that would make a significant difference. Be that as it may, it is nice to be able to see people like Prins building a library of past work at such places (if only Carl Rust would do the same).

The only problem with online film festivals is that they are online. To me, at least with current technology, watching film online is like listening to live concerts at archive.org. They are good reference points to the real thing, but that is about it. Part of that has to do with my association of film with the process of seeing a film, something which may change over time as definitions of film and video blur even more. I suppose if I could watch short films off of youtube or video.google at high resolutions in full screen that would make a significant difference. Be that as it may, it is nice to be able to see people like Prins building a library of past work at such places (if only Carl Rust would do the same).

I agree with you, for the most part. The things I do not agree with may be trivial and a matter of taste but you wouldn't reject a 16mm film simply because you only watch 35mm and you probably wouldn't reject 35mm film simply because it is being projected on a less than fullsize screen like some theaters do, right?

Online film festivals are a more reasonable possibility and reachable goal for international boards such as these and I am not certain they should be omitted because of how we would be forced to engage with the works.

The analogy of "live concert" listening doesn't work for me. Live concerts are different, hopefully, than the recorded version, and a film does not possess this luxury. I would understand the comparison between listening to a CD and listening to a 128 kps MP3 file because of the quality difference, which is what an online film festival might present. Unless you are speaking to the interaction of the live audience but then, we do watch movies on DVD alone.

I agree with you, for the most part. The things I do not agree with may be trivial and a matter of taste but you wouldn't reject a 16mm film simply because you only watch 35mm and you probably wouldn't reject 35mm film simply because it is being projected on a less than fullsize screen like some theaters do, right?

Uh, yeah, and what about us DVDers who shoot on digital? It costs a fair bit to transfer digital information to film.

I would understand the comparison between listening to a CD and listening to a 128 kps MP3 file because of the quality difference, which is what an online film festival might present. Unless you are speaking to the interaction of the live audience but then, we do watch movies on DVD alone.

Yeah, it is hard to find the right analogy. Yours is better because it is one of quality rather than space. I have always had that in the back of my mind after hearing Tim White (at Life on the Vine) rightly scoff at the idea of bands directing him to mp3 files online as demos.

Uh, yeah, and what about us DVDers who shoot on digital? It costs a fair bit to transfer digital information to film.

Projection is always fine.

Projection is always fine.

You mean, they all have digital projection? I wasn't aware that was the case.

Well, if we are taking this comment back to its original context of Flickerings then, yes, it does have digital projection.