TV shows on DVD

What tv shows do you buy for DVD? I mainly buy comedies because that has the most re-watching value for me. So I've got the first 3 seasons of The Simpsons, Mr. Show S1-3, Strangers with Candy's first two seasons and Family Guy S1-3. I also picked up Homicide's first box set and although I enjoy the show I regret the purchase a bit since after watching it I have no real desire to see it again anytime soon.

Stealing! How could you? Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain whats-his-name.

- Homer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy films all of the time, both DVD and VHS, but I'm a bit of a tightwad and have bought no TV at all, partly because reruns are so prevalent and because I rarely consult my "Rocky & Bullwinkle" videos.

Oops. I purchased HBO's "Band Of Brothers" last year. Best study of war on film. Period.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I have season 1 of 'The Simpsons' and seasons 1-3 of 'Homicide' - no regrets on the latter purchase, since we don't have cable and would therefore have no chance to watch reruns of our very favorite TV program. I haven't checked out the special features on season 3, but for the season 1-2 set, they were nothing special: a grotesque documentary about real-life murder detectives and a useless commentary on the premiere episode.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I've got the first three seasons of The Simpsons, the first two seasons of Futurama, the complete Fawlty Towers, and, um, that might be it. (Well, I guess Walking with Dinosaurs and its follow-ups, Allosaurus and Walking with Prehistoric Beasts, also count as TV shows.) I would probably get the original Star Trek if they re-issued it in the snazzy season packs that they have used for the subsequent shows, but I refuse to buy the series as a series of single discs, two-episodes-per-disc.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Buffy

Angel

Firefly

I actually write "scholarly" papers on this stuff, so I consider them investments in my career. Also, DVD is the only way to see the episodes of Firefly that were never broadcast by Fox.

Am seriously considering Babylon-5, but it's so expensive that I can't quite make up my mind to it yet.

Rental, thanks to Netflix, has been wonderful for things like Farscape, Upstairs/Downstairs--that are fun to re-watch once, but I don't expect to be reviewing on a regular basis.

If I'll Fly Away is ever available on DVD, I'd buy that.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 2 months later...
Guest Russell Lucas

I own the first season of The Simpsons, the first season of Twin Peaks and four four-episode volumes of The Twilight Zone. I'd love to buy the entire TZ run, since my only opportunities to see the show are on Sci-Fi's once or twice a year marathons or during their 1:30 a.m. weekday airings, but I can't justify the cost at this point.

I've got the first season of Michael Mann's Crime Story on the way, though, and I'm excited about revisiting that old favorite.

I've become hooked on the 11 or 11:30 Futurama rerun on Cartoon Network (a contributing factor in recent decreased movie watchage), and in general, if a show can be watched in syndication still, I prefer that to owning DVD sets. Yeah, it's nice to be able to watch an episode when one wants to do so, and some shows are sliced for syndication purposes, but I enjoy not knowing, for example, which Futurama or Simpsons or Twilight Zone I'm going to get when I tune in.

my only opportunities to see the show are on Sci-Fi's once or twice a year marathons

I'm right there with ya', Russell. That's my annual TZ fest as well, although I don't watch more than 2 hours' worth of episodes. This year I saw two I hadn't seen before: One was about a hospitalized woman who kept dreaming about a nurse who took her to the morgue and told her there was "room for one more." The other was about a young woman who refused to conform, with said conformity represented by certain body and hair styles adapted by everyone else.

Two years ago I watched several episodes with my in-laws down at Sanibel Island, Fla. I may have missed last year's marathon. We don't have cable, so I see the Sci-Fi TZ marathon only when I'm with relatives over the new year.

The TZ marathon also represents my only time spent watching the Sci-Fi channel each year.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Somewhere down the line in our Netflix queue is the complete My So-called Life run--what was it, 12 episodes? I don't think I'll buy it, but I want to see it.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

• 2 weeks later...

Beth, I just finished MSCL a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. Great acting throughout. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. Probably it'll be a month or so.

• 11 months later...
Beth, I just finished MSCL a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant.  Great acting throughout.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. Probably it'll be a month or so.

Disc #1 of My So-Called Life arrived yesterday. Having a free morning, I spent it with the pilot and episodes 1 & 2.

I did watch this show when it originally aired, but it was, of course, way back when. I'm pleased with how well it holds up! Except for the hair & fashions--which regularly shout "eighties!"--the emotions are timeless, and even the issues seem surprisingly relevant.

I should probably reality test it by running it past my DH, who works with high-schoolers, and my college freshmen, who will doubtless think it's amazingly tame...

The only series that I own on DVD are Spaced, Freaks And Geeks, and The Simpsons.

I suppose I could also include all of the anime DVDs I have, seeing as how many of them were originally broadcast on Japanese television (and some of them, such as Last Exile, have also been broadcast here in the States).

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Oh my. I have many.

Firefly is the only one I bought in which I've never seen any of the episodes. I'm just about to start the third disc.

The others include:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, seasons 1-5

CSI, seasons 1-3 (show went downhill after that)

West Wing, seasons 1,2 (same as CSI, show went downhill)

Without a Trace, season 1

Angel, season 1 (will probably sell this one though, I hardly ever watch it anymore)

Quantum Leap, seasons 1,2

And coming soon, in March

THE PRETENDER, SEASON 1

I have been waiting for this for ages. I couldn't believe they'd release Punky Brewster before releasing this one. wacko.gif

I'd also like to see the release of The Sentinel, but that may not happen. It barely made it to four seasons.

Subtlety is underrated

We own:

Smallville, Season One

Alias, Seasons One through Three

Star Trek: The Original Series, Season One

and

V: The Original Miniseries

We haven't watched Alias:Season Three yet, but the rest were all excellent purchases, and we've watched Alias: Season One many times over. When you think about it, it's 24 hours of entertainment value EACH TIME YOU WATCH IT. Even at 100.00 for the ST:TOS discs, that's about $4 per hour for one person to watch it once. Add another person, or watch it more than once, and you're into pennies per hour per person.

Edited by crimsonline
In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I have the Tick on DVD, and Firefly.

It is my goal to have every season of Babylon 5 and Farscape as well.

I'd also like to get the first two seasons of Star Blazers. Preferably the dubbed in english version, because that's the one I saw as a kid.

It had a face like Robert Tilton's -- without the horns.

- Steve Taylor, "Cash Cow"

Oh my.  I have many. 

Firefly is the only one I bought in which I've never seen any of the episodes.  I'm just about to start the third disc.

The others include:

Angel, season 1 (will probably sell this one though, I hardly ever watch it anymore)

Several Firefly episodes hold up to repeated viewings, at least in our house, and the commentaries are good. Only nine-ish months till Serenity!

Angel season one has its moments, but season 2 rewards reviewing more, IMHO (which reminds me that the phrase "in my humble opinion" actually turns up twice in one episode of My So-Called Life, possibly with a dash of irony).

My wife and I are SO enjoying one of her gifts this Christmas -- Season One of Corner Gas. This Canadian sitcom is perfectly hilarious - way better than their website will lead you to believe. Some of the local references may lose some of their flavor for non-Canadians, but fans of The Office and Seinfeld may find it to their liking.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

My wife and I are SO enjoying one of her gifts this Christmas -- Season One of Corner Gas. This Canadian sitcom is perfectly hilarious - way better than their website will lead you to believe. Some of the local references may lose some of their flavor for non-Canadians, but fans of The Office and Seinfeld may find it to their liking.

My brother in Manitoba asked me if I'd ever heard of this show, and I never had! Must visit him soon...or tell him he can put this on our Christmas list for next year.

My wife and I recently finished watching Season 1 of 'The Wire,' courtesy of Netflix. Once the first few episodes get the HBO-required excess profanity and nudity out of the way, it becomes an engrossing series with an interesting group of personalities. We're both looking forward to Season 2 when it comes out later this month.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I'd also like to get the first two seasons of Star Blazers. Preferably the dubbed in english version, because that's the one I saw as a kid.

yayuh. I've been eyeing those for a while also! Also on my list: 1960's animated Spiderman box set, Survivor Allstars box set...

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

My favorite TV shows on DVD I own are British comedy series:

Fawlty Towers

Father Ted

The Office

Most everything else I have is comedies, except for Twin Peaks and the first two seasons of Buffy (though I haven't finished watching the second season yet):

Simpsons Season 1

All in the Family Season 1

In Living Color Season 1

The Ben Stiller Show

Arrested Development Season 1

Also I have a good collection of Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVDs. wink.gif

It is my goal to have every season of Babylon 5 and Farscape as well.

I'm fond of Farscape, but willing to rent it. When a mysterious stranger leaves $1000 on my doorstep, then I will buy Babylon 5, the greatest science fiction TV series ever.

Star Trek fans of all stripes may now pile on tongue.gif

I'm shooting myself over the leaving of a collection of The Kids In The Hall on the shelf at Costco last August as I've not seen it since. They became a bit too enamored of "The chicken lady" and teen garage band angst towards the the end and let Scott Thompson go on and on (at the end again), but all in all one of the great sketch comedy series I've ever seen. Anybody seen it for a good price (is that contradictory)?

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.