Sign in to follow this  
Chadb

TV shows on DVD

I'm shooting myself over the leaving of a collection of The Kids In The Hall on the shelf at Costco last August as I've not seen it since. They became a bit too enamored of "The chicken lady" and teen garage band angst towards the the end and let Scott Thompson go on and on (at the end again), but all in all one of the great sketch comedy series I've ever seen. Anybody seen it for a good price (is that contradictory)?

I saw it at my local Best Buy. Their website lists the first season for $38.99, second season for same, and something called "Brain Candy" that I'm unfamiliar with. It's $12.99.

I was also tempted when I saw it, but decided against it. And because I have absolutely no willpower, I bought the first season of Highlander this past weekend. Unfortunately, I just saw my credit card bill, and as such will not be buying anything else for a while. pinch.gif

Subtlety is underrated

Brain Candy was the Kids in the Hall feature film that played on the big screen in the mid-1990s. FWIW, it is the only Kids in the Hall production I have ever seen.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I couldn't resist buying the recently released season 1 and 2 set of Moonlighting, one of the few shows I never missed in the '80s (another one was St. Elsewhere--when is that coming out on DVD?).

"Season" 1 is really only the 2 hour pilot and 5 more episodes, but they're fine, especially "Gunfight at the So-So Corral"

Season 2 includes the much-Emmy-nominated, partly-B&W "The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice." According to the commentary by series creator/producer/writer Glenn Gordon Caron, network execs. were horrified by the idea of an episode in black-and-white, and only agreed to it if master of b&w film Orson Welles would introduce it and explain what was going on. Good grief! Incredibly, he agreed, and very classy he is. A few weeks later, he died. They used two different styles of b&w filmography (is that the right term?), not to mention two styles of writing and acting. It's like watching three mini-movies. Ironically, out of all its nominations, the episode won an Emmy for editing--not that the editing isn't well done.

Anyway, it's a hoot, and a great summer diversion, or anytime diversion. Youngish Bruce Willis is so obviously Going Places, and Cybill Shepherd is such a dame (in every sense of the word). It's just good fun.

On the downside, no subtitles, no scene/chapter selection. But I'm still happy to have it.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I own:

Freaks and Geeks

Alias (seasons 1 and 2)

The West Wing (season 1)

Gilmore Girls (season 1)

The X-Files (season 2, 6, and 7)

Plus my parents own all seasons of Friends, Seinfeld, The Simpsons and Curb Your Enthusiasm, so I have free access to those as well.

I wanted to get lost and love the questions there

Beauty and the truth I could breathe like air

--Sam Phillips

I was in Best Buy the other day, and was so tempted to pick up the complete Office set, as well the several volumes of MST3K that they had.

I definitely need to get the first volume of Nick Frost's Danger 50,000 Volts when that comes out. I watched a clip, and it's hilarious. And besides, it's Nick Frost from Spaced and Shaun Of The Dead... what else do you need?

Oh, and Bethany, I might need to borrow those Alias seasons. Renae's roommate rented a couple discs, and I think I might now be hooked.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I finished getting all the Babylon 5 DVD's, though I haven't finished watching them.

I thought about Dead Zone, but I've only recently started watching it and am not sure if I'm really hooked yet or not.

Subtlety is underrated

Gilmore Girls (Seasons 1-3)

X-Files (Seasons 1-3)

Six Feet Under (Seasons 1-3)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Seasons 1-3)

News Radio (Seasons 1-2)

The Office (all)

Sports Night (all)

Horatio Hornblower (all)

Kids in the Hall (seasons 1-2)

Crime Story S. 1

The Simpsons S. 1

The Office S. 1, 2 & Special

Twin Peaks S. 1

Some loose volumes of The Twilight Zone

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and Bethany, I might need to borrow those Alias seasons.  Renae's roommate rented a couple discs, and I think I might now be hooked.

Sure...season 1 is out on loan already, but you're welcome to it when I get it back.

Edited by Bethany

I wanted to get lost and love the questions there

Beauty and the truth I could breathe like air

--Sam Phillips

I'm not the biggest TV fan, but I do own a few.

The Simpsons Seasons 1-5

The Office Season 1&2 and The Special

Star Wars: Clone Wars Volume 1

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season 1

Batman: The Animated Series Volumes 1-3

Plus, my younger brother has:

Seinfeld Seasons 1-4

SpongeBob Square Pants Seasons 1-2

Futurama Season 1

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

My wife and I plan to be Friends and Seinfeld completists, because they don't run any reruns of the shows anymore.

We also have: Cheers (1), Simpsons(1), Curb Your Enthusiasm(1) and just got Moonlighting (1&2). We also have Saturday Night Live: Best of Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Will Ferrell, Christopher Walken, and their 25th Anniversary Special. When The Cosby Show comes out, we'll definitely get seasons 1 & 2.

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

My wife and I plan to be Friends and Seinfeld completists, because they don't run any reruns of the shows anymore.

Is this a joke? I can catch both twice a day here (orlando) on the fox syndicate. Not so where you are? Have Raymond, Queens, and 70's Show completely taken over?

Is this a joke? I can catch both twice a day here (orlando) on the fox syndicate. Not so where you are? Have Raymond, Queens, and 70's Show completely taken over?

It is a joke. Forgot sarcasm smiley.

BTW, also forgot to include Joan of Arcadia (1).

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

I've got that one too.

Hope they release season 2 as well. It's the least they can do! sad.gif

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

I've got that one too.

Hope they release season 2 as well. It's the least they can do! sad.gif

Beth:

Can I borrow it some time? (5 Discs right off my Netflix Queue).

Peace.

Ken

Of course. Check your [office] mailbox.

Beth

Corner Gas, Season 2 releases September 27!! Details.

There isn't yet an American (or European) network or distributor for this Canadian gem as far as I know, but this is expected to make it onto a US network sometime. Maybe you have to be from here to think it's hilarious, but I think fans of Seinfeld or The Office would think it's fun.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Mostly boring, already-been mentioned stuff:

* "Gilmore Girls" seasons 1, 2, and 3

* "The Simpsons" seasons 1 and 4

* "King of the Hill" season 1

* "The West Wing" season 1

* "Arrested Development" season 1

* four episodes of "Teletubbies" (for Matthew, Jr. to watch)

* all nine full-length Mike Leigh TV movies

* "As Time Goes By" (series 4-9, and series 1-3 on VHS)

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I forgot my favorite show from the last ten years: Freaks and Geeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is one TV show I would love to see get superior treatment on DVD, and that is WKRP in Cincinatti. It would probably be expensive to do, especially obtaining the rights to all the classic rock songs used in the original episodes. There are a few episodes (8, I believe) that are available on VHS, unfortunately they were made on the cheap. All of the classic rock from the actual episodes have been replaced with stock rock music.

For me, this show has always remained funny. Partly because I once worked at a station where the similarities were staggering, from a traffic reporter who would fake being in an airborne helicopter (if it stormed badly, she would sit in the grounded helicopter and do the report with the rotors turning) right down to a General Manager who only had his job because his grandma owned the station.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

There is one TV show I would love to see get superior treatment on DVD, and that is WKRP in Cincinatti.  It would probably be expensive to do, especially obtaining the rights to all the classic rock songs used in the original episodes.  There are a few episodes (8, I believe) that are available on VHS, unfortunately they were made on the cheap.  All of the classic rock from the actual episodes have been replaced with stock rock music. 

They dubbed out the classic rock used in those episodes? Wow! What a shame. That's part of what gave the show such an authentic feel.

Great call on WKRP. It was always one of the most underrated sitcoms of the 70s and 80s, IMO. Great characters and writing. (I'll never forget Les Nessman's Thanksgiving Day turkey drop.)

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I finally picked up Arrested Development Season 1 the other day. Man, I love this show.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

While we do most of our TV DVD watching via Netflix (whose going to pay to own all of those Star Trek series?) my wife and I have spent the dough on most of Chris Carter's canon (sans Harsh Realm, Joss Whedon's Angel, and seasons 1-5 of West Wing. I've tossed in a few select seasons of M*A*S*H (significant transition seasons) and King of the Hill as well. But the TV on DVD that gets the most airtime in our house is Sports Night. Can't beat it for smart writing, likable characters, and a serious engagement with serious issues all while making you laugh.

It also doesn't hurt that being a half-hour show means we can watch an episode over lunch without blowing the afternoon.

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones