Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

Sesame Street

For me, this amusing article by Joel Stein hits almost all the right targets as to why I, and many others, feel that Sesame Street is missing the mark with kids today.

"Sesame Street" — which still has sharp, funny writing — is being destroyed by idiot cuteness.... In the '70s, the human cast and the Muppets were quirky adults who didn't talk down to me with baby voices. Now the human cast gets almost no airtime, and the show is dominated by Elmo, Baby Bear and, now, Abby Cadabby — preschoolers enamored by their own adorable stupidity. The lesson they teach — in opposition to Oscar, Big Bird, Grover or Bert — is that bland neediness gets you stuff much more easily than character. We are breeding a nation of Anna Nicole Smiths.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

The main difference between Sesame Street now vs. then (1970's) is that i believe the average viewer age is much lower now. It was not uncommon back in 70's for kids 5 or 6 years old to still be watching Sesame Street. ( yeah, read this as a confession if you want) I think this occured in part because of the dearth of weekday children's programming back then. Having watched the show recently with my younger kids, everything seems to be geared towards 2-3 year olds. The lessons, character interactions, colors and humor are more along the lines of Teletubbies than the old school Mr. Hooper-era sesame street. But i dont see this as any kind of troubling declension in the show or the writing, just a shift. The truth is, Sesame Street has kinda sucked for years. It has been eclipsed by some wonderful shows on Noggin and Nick Jr. IMO.

I was talking to my Mom awhile back about the difference between Blue's Clues and Sesame Street. My Mom does reading consulting for a living, so she has an acute interest in effective learning mechanisms. Her understanding was that Sesame Street was more enjoyable for adults, but Blues Clues was actually better for fostering learning amongst children. The shorter duration and greater repetition was better for children. Does anybody else have any experience with this? I've never seen Blues Clues but I have seen plenty of Sesame Street. Since this is going to be a huge part of my world sooner than I realize I may as well start getting input now.

Blue's Clues is a great show; my kids would much rather watch it than Sesame Street. More interaction with kids, and the theme and thrust of the show is creative problem solving. Steve is the better host; his replacement Joe just isn't as natural.

As the parent of a toddler, I can second the notion that Blue's Clues is the more popular show in our house. Our daughter doesn't pay as much attention to Sesame Street, but she will sit and watch Blues Clues all the way through (talking to it the whole time).

I personally have fond memories of SS, though. I loved it then and still enjoy it when it's on.