Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Exorcism television series

CBS is bringing <a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060816/tv_nm/exorcism_dc_1" target="_blank">a drama about exorcism</a> to prime-time television.

And guess who's behind it...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CBS has given a pilot commitment to an exorcism-themed drama from "Joan of Arcadia" creator Barbara Hall and producer Joe Roth.

The project, from CBS Paramount Network Television and studio-based Joe Roth Television, is inspired by the real-life experiences of Bob Larson, an expert on cults, the occult and supernatural phenomena.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Larson may have been an expert at one point in time, but IIRC, he's become increasingly marginal, and if his Wikipedia entry is any indicator, also suspected of fraud and affairs. Of course, I suppose that just adds some extra "sizzle" for TV execs.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Our pal Jon Trott knows all about ol' Bob...

Anybody else happen to read the article Bob wrote after spending a week on Slayer's tour bus?

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

My two bits. I link to an article that a friend of mine wrote exposing Larson's fake exorcisms (either HE faked them, or the people being "exorcised" were just pretending to be possessed) seven years ago; it, in turn, quotes jon_trott_, who wrote his own article for Cornerstone magazine some 13 years ago, though there is no reference to demons or exorcisms there.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

exposing Larson's fake exorcisms (either HE faked them, or the people being "exorcised" were just pretending to be possessed)

I think a third option might offer a more precise explanation. Goons like Larson are so inebriated with sensationalism that they interpret the symptoms of severe mental illness as "demonic activity". I used to listen to Talk Back back in the late 80's and I'm not convinced Larson stages those deliverance sessions. I think he sincerely believes multitudes are possessed and/or part of a secret, powerful satanic underworld.

There are certain disorders that can compel the sufferers to believe they are inhabited by demons, beings, voices, "god", etc... The "manifestations" of shaking, falling and such can also be explained by pschological manipulation and the power of suggestion in a large group setting. Larson's low regard for the truth and addiction to hype make him all too willing to use these deeply troubled people as characters in his religious theater.

Edited by coltrane

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Anybody else happen to read the article Bob wrote after spending a week on Slayer's tour bus?

No, but i recall that he reached a conclusion that Slayer were not satanists and they were in fact really nice guys who just needed jesus. Correct?

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

coltrane wrote:

: I used to listen to Talk Back back in the late 80's and I'm not convinced Larson stages those

: deliverance sessions.

I was thinking more of the "exorcisms" he performs during his public, in-person appearances.

: Larson's low regard for the truth and addiction to hype make him all too willing to use these

: deeply troubled people as characters in his religious theater.

Deeply troubled people who show up at multiple public, in-person events? It's certainly possible, but you'd think that Bob (or "Bob-buddy", pronounced "bobbity", as my Pentecostal high-school classmates and I used to call him) would begin to recognize them and realize they were putting him on, or something.

Oh, one other thing: I really hope this series shows its Bob Larson character addressing "the demon of Heartburn", as Larson apparently did in real life.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Ack. I should have said CBS *may* be bringing this to prime-time. They committed to a pilot, but not a series.

And now, it looks like it ain't happenin'.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Maybe we can resurrect (hahaha!) this thread for a whole new series:

- - -

Exclusive: Discovery, Catholic Church team for exorcism series

Discovery Channel is teaming with the Vatican for an unprecedented new series hunting the deadliest catch of all: Demons.

The Exorcist Files will recreate stories of real-life hauntings and demonic possession, based on cases investigated by the Catholic Church. The project includes access into the Vatican’s case files, as well as interviews with the organization’s top exorcists — religious experts who are rarely seen on television. . . .

Entertainment Weekly, January 5

EXCLUSIVE: Discovery Claims Collaboration with Vatican on Exorcist Series, Which Is News to the Vatican

Last week the Discovery Channel announced an “unprecedented” collaboration with the Vatican on a new television series entitled “The Exorcist Files,” which explores cases of demonic possession investigated by the Catholic Church.

Discovery even claimed the upcoming series includes access into the Vatican’s case files. . . .

However, one slight problem – somebody might want to let the Vatican know that they’ve opened their doors.

"They (Discovery) may have had contact with some individual, but we've had no contact with Discovery here," Monsignor Paul Tighe of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, the Vatican agency that handles any filming inside Vatican City, told FOX411.com.

According to multiple Vatican officials, the Church had no official involvement with the series and the Vatican does not even have a group of exorcists.

A representative from Discovery told FOX411.com that the show is “working with Catholic priests at parishes all over the world for the show and look forward to telling their stories.” . . .

Fox News, January 10

Reverend Bob Larson and Five American Teen Satan Slayers Get Canadian-made Reality TV Show

TORONTO – Evangelist Bob Larson and his posse of Buffy the Satan slayers are getting their own reality TV show.

Canadian indie producer Cineflix is developing the series All-American Girls Fighting Satan, about five teen girl exorcists training to cast Beelzebub’s black-winged minions from the lives of ordinary Americans under the tutelage of Reverend Larson of the Spiritual Freedom Churches.

The five cross-wielding teens are Brynne Larson, daughter of Reverend Bob, sisters Savannah Sherkenback and Tess Sherkenback, and Christina Massih and Melanie Massih.

The series, being developed by Simon Lloyd and Joe Houlihan, will feature the five teenagers at Reverend Bob’s school for exorcists, saving troubled people from Satan while their peers are partying.

Cineflix added that, while the five teens are not fending off evil in suburban America, they find time to attend beauty pageants, or play sports like horseback riding and karate.

“The girls and the Reverend Bob believe they are on a God-given mission to save the souls of the possessed,” Cineflix said in a statement Monday.

Hollywood Reporter, August 15

‘We're not like normal teenagers': Meet the exorcist schoolgirls who spend their time casting out DEMONS around the world

So if the forces of darkness start getting the upper hand, who should you call? Evangelist Reverend Bob Larson of Spiritual Freedom Churches International - and his remarkable school for exorcists.

‘Think of it more of an exorcist franchise,’ Rev Larson tells MailOnline exclusively.

‘The Church just can’t keep up with demand. But I have 100 teams of trained exorcists working all over the world, and outbreaks of demonic possession are getting out of control.

‘Our phone lines are ringing constantly - we receive up to 1,000 individual requests monthly, and we travel to countries like Africa, Ukraine, England and even Australia.

But while his teams include exorcists aged up to 70, one group of his protégées are causing waves in the religious community. They are teenage girls.

Savannah Scherkenback, 19, and her sister Tess, 16, are Rev Larson’s latest graduates from his school for exorcists.

‘We have found that our female, teenage exorcists are particularly effective at curing the possessed,’ says Rev Larson, whose daughter Brynne is a supernaturally talented exorcist. . . .

Daily Mail, August 11