P.O.D. - New album cover too much for Christian retailers

Tim Willson

It seems P.O.D. has crossed the line with their most recent album cover. It's being reported that numerous Christian retailers, including the largest chain (Family Christian Stores), are refusing to stock the CD,

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

This isn't the first time this has happened, either. POD's cover for The Fundamental Elements of Southtown depicted- GASP!- cigars, which got it booted from Christian retailers. Their label released a censored copy, with a black border covering most of the original cover, which Christian stores accepted.

*Sigh*.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Hey, I completely understand the decision of the retailers to pull the album from their shelves. Last time they put out an album with a controversial cover, I ran out and smoked a pack of cigars, and I'm hopelessly addicted to this day. Having now seen THIS cover right here on this board, I am quickly removing all of my clothes.

Seriously, though, please do not misinterpret my decision not to stock MY cd shelves with this cd. That has nothing to do with the cover.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I suppose Family Christian Stores wanted to regain the moral high ground after their recent decision to remain open on Sundays -- they may not be keeping the Sabbath day holy, but they won't cause any customers to commit adultery in their hearts!

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Seriously, though, please do not misinterpret my decision not to stock MY cd shelves with this cd. That has nothing to do with the cover.

Geez, no kidding. Their label sent me a copy of the new CD, and much suckage does occur. If anyone wants a copy...

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

This is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. Well, close to the stupidest.

Have you ever taken a walk into one of these bookstores? There are a lot of CDs on the shelves that would be considered more morally offensive than the one shown above. Just peek into the alternative section sometime. And there are plenty of records in there that have band guys smoking on the inside pictures. Your average storeguy wouldn't know it because they never bother to crack open those particular recordings.

I'm no fan of the stores or P.O.D., although the hits from the last recording are kinda fun on the radio.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

This is just another case of judging the outside but then if they judged the heart of the performer they would loose too much capital.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Judge this: P.O.D. doesn't need Christian bookstores. They're very fortunate. This CD will be all over the airwaves, and teens from everywhere will be looking for it. Hopefully so-called secular record stores (where they actually sell recordings and not books) will make a lot of money on the CD. The greater hope is that further on down the road, more Christians will have their projects sold in outlets other than Christian Bookstores, and maybe someday we won't have Christian Bookstores.

(I realize this will never really happen, but here's to hoping.)

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Judge this: P.O.D. doesn't need Christian bookstores. They're very fortunate. This CD will be all over the airwaves, and teens from everywhere will be looking for it. Hopefully so-called secular record stores (where they actually sell recordings and not books) will make a lot of money on the CD. The greater hope is that further on down the road, more Christians will have their projects sold in outlets other than Christian Bookstores, and maybe someday we won't have Christian Bookstores.

(I realize this will never really happen, but here's to hoping.)

-s.

Actually, Stef, I had a very interesting conversation a week or two ago with a guy with a background in the CCM industry, and his prediction is that within 5 years there won't be a "Christian music industry," per se, with the music section at the local Christian bookstore. There are too many industry mergers and other developments to keep genres separated, and eventually they'll just move to a single distribution channel.

At first I thought he might be guilty of hyperbole (or hysteria), but some of the developments he cited made the argument quite credible. It's already happening with books, to some degree, as they are increasingly available in general market outlets.

Tim

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Everything has it's place and I do not hope for an end to Christian bookstores at all. I know that they serve a great purpose and know many people who benefit from their presence.

I just pray that these bookstores will get it together. They will not sell a CD with such a cover or "questionable" lyrical content BUT they will sell books that are stating messages contrary to the bible. They have to decide if they are a light or if they are in it only for the profit. TO me there is no integrity in their double standard decisions. They will not sell a CD by commited Christians with an "objectional cover" but they will sell a book written by a false prophet.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Asher, not that I don't agree to some extent, but which prophets are you calling false? I really am curious. I think that many small store owners have different sectarian interests. I am tempted to think that part of your objection is really one of the unintended consequences of the protestant enterprise.... OTOH, any store, if it can find a market to serve, will succeed if it keeps its customers happy. The contradictions you describe might not negatively affect an industry if its clientbase supports those contradictions. The only thing that can sink an industry is its confusion of business with ministry (such confusions will also sink ministries, if you know what i mean).

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Asher may have in mind such folks as Benny Hinn. Or even Tim LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins -- perhaps "false prophets" is a little harsh for those fellows, since they claim to be writing fiction, but their fiction is a good deal more fictional than even they realize.

The problem is that such books sell, and Christian bookstores are under enormous pressure to stock what sells. (Obviously the weak point in this argument is that POD sells, too, but I'll bet they look like pikers next to Left Behind.)

I'm put in mind of a very interesting article in Cornerstone a few years back, concerning a former editor at Thomas Nelson who was instructed by his employer to redact the heresy out of a Benny Hinn manuscript before publication. The article, of course, raised the question of whether it was more ethical to have Benny's theology corrected by an editor or to reject the manuscript. It appeared that Thos. Nelson didn't want to lose the revenue they expected from the book. So don't place all the blame on the bookstores; the publishers are making bad decisions too. If you can't trust Thos. Nelson ...

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

But we are talking about businesses and not everyone is agreed that LaHaye and Jenkins are teaching falsely. Hinn is another matter. Heh, I wonder what Hinn would have thought of the hacking up (from his POV) of his work. I think it is important to be a little soft on what a bad decision is in such a jumbled marketplace. The important thing, to my mind, is for all businesses to be open, honest, serve their publics, and not compromise their own principles and beliefs in order to be successful. I also have no problem with a consumer taking business elsewhere if he is offended by products by Hinn, LaHaye/Jenkins, Geisler (I can't stand the guy myself), Van Til, or Ratzinger. That is one way that managers and owners can find out what is wanted by those they serve. It would be nice if those consumers did not communicate their displeasure rudely and accusingly as well. I'm a markets man, but I prefer open and respectful markets. One of my weaknesses.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.