Sign in to follow this  
run

My Brightest Diamond - Bring Me The Workhorse

You can also download an MP3 and get a full album stream from Asthmatic Kitty's website.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I hate it when you have totally unrealistic expectations for an artist and when the artist fails to deliver you get upset at the artist, like it is his or her fault.

Keep in mind I've only listened to the lead track, the one hosted on Asthmatic Kitty's website, but I am punishing My Brightest Diamond for something that isn't her fault. I had it in my mind, for no good reason, that she would sound like the Illinoisemakers. She doesn't. She sounds like the artists mentioned above. Yet because she doesn't sound like what I want her to sound like I'm unfairly punishing her.

That being said, what I've heard so far I've liked, it just hasn't stayed with me. Maybe someone here can let me know how it still sounds after a month or so. It'll also give me time to get over myself and my stupid pre-conceived notions.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Shara W videos posted on Youtube:

I always thought Shara would make a good wonder woman on stage with sufjan as superman.

wonder woman

shara the sk8tr

shara's amazing voice Edited by run

After listening to "Something of an End" a half dozen times I decided to use my remaining monthly balance at emusic to pick this up and have been pleasantly surprised. I'm really enjoying it's Kate Bush meets Fionna Apple sound. I've only listened to it twice, but am looking forward to spending more time with it. At this point I'd be disappointed if I spent $12 to buy it new at a record store, but for the $3 I spent on emusic it will be well worth it.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Saw MBD before Sufjan a few nights ago and don't really have much to add, as I wasn't really impressed. Reminded me of Bjork mixed with some other singer I've never heard yet but am sure I also won't like very much.

Okay, I take a little of it back - she did sing one song that I really dug. It was by far the most blues-y of her songs, and afterward she gave a "thank you" shout-out to someone, which gave me the impression it may have been a cover. If it was an original, I really did like that one.

[goes to check album stream] A quick skim of the album didn't reveal the song, so I'm guessing it was after all a cover, or something brand new.

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

Okay, I take a little of it back - she did sing one song that I really dug. It was by far the most blues-y of her songs, and afterward she gave a "thank you" shout-out to someone, which gave me the impression it may have been a cover. If it was an original, I really did like that one.
If it was the same song she did last night in Berkeley, it was "Feeling Good." I know it best as a Nina Simone song, but I'm not sure who wrote it.

I thought she started out a little slow, but the end of her set was smokin'. Especially the song you mentioned and "Golden Star."

As for Shara's voice and the inevitable comparisons, I definitely see Kate Bush and bits of Bj

The bluesy song that she covered in the Austin Saturday show was Bill Wither's "Use Me"

That one brought the house down. Reminded me alot of Karin Bergquist.

If it was the same song she did last night in Berkeley, it was "Feeling Good." I know it best as a Nina Simone song, but I'm not sure who wrote it.

I thought she started out a little slow, but the end of her set was smokin'. Especially the song you mentioned and "Golden Star."

As for Shara's voice and the inevitable comparisons, I definitely see Kate Bush and bits of Bj

Man, I wish there was a link to the version she does at the Sufjan shows. Not that I don't like it here, but with the entire band kicking in behind her on tour it's so much fuller and more complete - at least to me. I'm sure some will like the minimalism.

Hype Machine Feeling Good

It appears several artists have covered it. Eels. Muse. I think Jeff Buckley also covered it. Jeff tend to cover a lot of Nina Simone songs.

I was only familar with Nina Simone's version originally heard on Six Feet Under commerical and Michael Buble's version which I heard when I was shopping at best buy.

Guest thom_jurek

I hate to be a philistine on this, but I heard the album a couple of times, listened tother NPR piece and went back to it, and I still just don't get it. There are literally hundreds of singers I've heard that cxan do so much more with a song. There is nothing remarkable there to me. I feel that way about M. Peyroux too and don;t understand the hype at all. But then, I am one of those people who agree with Stephen Thomas Erlewine, my esteemed colleague about S. Stevens as well.

I purchased other records from Asthmattic Kitty last year: Bunky's Born to be a Motorcycle, and Castanets' First Light's Freeze. I liked both. The first is colorful and fun, cool pop music. The second has a space thing that reminds me of Pink Floyd's More (which may be my fave post-Barrett Pink Floyd record), with some shades of Spiritualized, the latest Wilco, stuff like that. Nothing to be really big on, but cool, tasty stuff.

Don't know if this has been said yet.

Two free downloads from myspace. 'Something of an End', and 'Riding Horses'.

I saw them Sunday with Sufjan. I really enjoyed them, thought she had a fabulous voice. Very engaging. Reminded me a little of Sarah McLachlan/Regina Spector/Leigh Nash and etc.

Actually, IMHO, My Brightest Diamond is everything that Evanescence should have been. Similar sounds, but as far as I can tell, MBD hasn't yet sold their soul to the mainstream industry.

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

Actually, IMHO, My Brightest Diamond is everything that Evanescence should have been. Similar sounds, but as far as I can tell, MBD hasn't yet sold their soul to the mainstream industry.

:blink:

:blink:

Ok.

Let me condition that quote. I don't mean Evanescence in the weird goth rock kind of way, but more in the dark, piano-driven, haunting vocals kind of way, with engaging lyrics. It's got that same kind of chills-down-your-neck kind of sound. But MBD takes far more risks, and ventures far further into the unknown. It has a similar, but far more intricate sound. You might say that the sound is almost unique. But not quite.

I have a different impression of MBD everytime I hear them. Tonight I'm thinking more Regina Spektor, and maybe even Muse—If you de-electrified them, and turned half of their sharp guitar riffs into part-classical, part-jazz pieces on the piano. Very reminiscent of their song Apocolypse Please, in certain moments.

Edited by Joel C

Listen to my tunes by visiting my website, or come say hello on Facebook and Twitter

I really dig this album.

And I'm delighted to discover that they're opening for The Decemberists here in Seattle next Friday night... and I'll be there. Woo hoo!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I really dig this album.

And I'm delighted to discover that they're opening for The Decemberists here in Seattle next Friday night... and I'll be there. Woo hoo!

Wow, that would be quite the concert...I missed the decemberists when they were in Seattle last October, and it looks like I'll miss them again by a small margin. But I saw MBD with Sufjan in October instead. You're in for a real treat. She's 10 times better live IMO.

Can anyone convince me to download this album? The reason I haven't is because I'm pretty much convinced I hate her vibrato.

I need some new music though for travel over the weekend. The new NIN is OK, but the kids are going to be in the car.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

We saw MBD last night, opening for the Decemberists at the Warfield. I thought MBD thoroughly showed up the Decemberists, mainly due to the comparison between Shara and Colin's voices. I like the Decemberists, but MBD WAS AWESOME. Riveting. And a ton of fun.

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry