Every which way but 8-track!

This was prompted by stef's inquiring as to whether or not I have Lone Justice's Shelter on CD...

Random curiosity question of the moment:

Which albums do you love so much that you just have to have them in every manifestation--mp3, surround-sound CD or DVD, CD, cassette, and vinyl, etc?

These aren't necessarily my favorite albums of all time, but off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure I have CDs, tapes, and vinyl of...

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Leslie Phillips - The Turning (+ the CD re-release with the awful cover)

Leslie Phillips - The Indescribable Wow

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Amy Grant - Unguarded

Lone Justice - Shelter

Michael W. Smith - The Big Picture

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I don't have any album on all four mediums, but I do have a few on vinyl, MP3, and cd:

Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album

Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co.

Pedro the Lion - Whole

The Shins - New Slang

MxPx - On the Cover (Hides Head in Shame)

I'm realizing I just don't have many LP's. I have plenty of 7"'s, but never went the LP route.

Edited by Kyle

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

Terry Scott Taylor: Knowledge & Innocence

Daniel Amos: Doppelganger, Vox Humana

Not sure how many others I have in all three formats. (mp3 is kind of redundant, since I can just rip 'em off my CDs.) I can think of a few where I made the leap straight from vinyl to CD (e.g., James Horner's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Steve Taylor's Meltdown, virtually everything else Daniel Amos released between Horrendous Disc and Darn Floor Big Bite), and I can think of a few that I owned in both vinyl and cassette without ever getting 'em on CD (e.g., Servant's Light Maneuvers), but not of all that many that I owned in all three formats.

In the case of D and K&I, I had the cassette first, then bought the LP for the liner notes, then bought the album again when it came out on CD. VH is an odd case of me having the LP first, and I'm not really sure WHY I got the cassette (prior to the album's CD release), but I did.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The CD/MP3 combinations are too numerous to mention.

The vinyl/CD combos are much more rare, mainly because I could never bring myself to repurchase an album I already had, even if it was on old and scratchy vinyl that was last played on a Radio Shack turntable with a quarter balanced on the needle to keep the album from skipping. There's too much good new music to justify repurchases. Nevertheless, it's happened a few times, mainly with classic albums that have retained some sentimental value for me. Let's see:

-- Jethro Tull -- Aqualung

-- Jethro Tull -- Thick as a Brick

-- Led Zeppelin -- IV/Zoso/Runes

-- Bruce Cockburn -- Humans

-- Bob Dylan -- Blood on the Tracks

I think that's about it.

Tapes? What are tapes? I have a bunch of mix tapes that I've traded with people over the years, and lots of bootleg Dylan, Van, and Springsteen that, at the time, I could only find via tape trades with the shadowy owners of the bootlegs. I don't think I've ever purchased a legitimate album on tape.

Never had much vinyl since the turntable I was forced to use had trouble maintaining a consistent speed.

Boston - Boston -> Had in vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, 2006 remastered CD, Apple Lossless format (burned from the remastered CD)

Boston - Don't Look Back -> Had in 8-track (my first 8-track!), cassette, CD, 2006 remastered CD, Apple Lossless format (burned from the remastered CD)

Had everything U2 on cassette until I finally upgraded to CD in 1994, and then upgraded to Gold Disc versions of War, Unforgettable Fire, and Joshua Tree.

Edited by TexasWill

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Almost everything by U2 on both vinyl and CD, including "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (don't buy this as it sounds like an MP3 copy of the CD was used for the vinyl). Further, I had a chance to pick up a number of UK-pressed 12 inch 45rpm singles from Joshua Tree and Actung Baby. On these, everything sound so much bigger and more immediate.

I also notice duplication with the Bealtes and a few other artists of the pre-CD era. Mostly because I put my records away when CDs hit the mainstream, caught up in the "perfect sound forever" marketing. A couple of years ago, I bought a decent turntable and listen to the records of my youth and many new treasures found along the way.

Clive