Sign in to follow this  
Joel C

R.I.P. Pluto

So it has finally happened, according to this article.

The smallest member of our planetary system has been booted, and we are again back to eight planets, as people knew the solar system back in the early 20th century. Kind of strange, that after all this time, they'd just throw it out. But I guess it's true. A planet is a planet, and a small, orbiting ball of ice isn't.

So farewell, pluto.

Huh...talk about reification...

"Nails," of course -- it's a great counterpoint to "very elegant mother."

Dale

The version I learnt and that is taught in most UK schools is

Many Vicious Elephants May Just Sit Upon Naughty Pupils.

... I just learned "Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto..."

or "... Pluto, Neptune," depending on whether or not they'd crossed paths, but I guess that doesn't matter now...

Clyde Tombaugh would be spinning in his grave... if he had had enough mass to do so.

This is a sad day for me and all proud native sons and daughters of Flagstaff, Arizona, where Pluto was discovered. No, I don't know what it was doing there.

Looks like Clyde will get to visit Pluto in a few years.

I never heard ANY of these mnemonics until this past week. Yeesh. Aren't mnemonics supposed to be EASIER to remember than the thing you're trying to remember?

The only mnemonic I've ever needed with regard to the planets is "SUN" for "Saturn Uranus Neptune" -- once you're past Saturn, the gas giants are a blur, so that helps me to keep them in order.

But from Mercury to Saturn, each planet is like a step up from the one before. Mercury is small and hot. Venus is not-as-small, hot, and has an atmosphere. Earth has an atmosphere, and is LIVABLE. Mars has an atmosphere, and is the place where all those aliens come from. Jupiter is nothing BUT atmosphere, and it's friggin' huge. Saturn is friggin' huge AND it has a ring.

After that, you've just got two more orders of "friggin' huge", followed by a tiny caboose.

Or at least, we USED to have a caboose. Sigh.

What a way to spoil a good mnemonic. Now how will students learn the planets?

Try this:

Mass Vexation! Eight? Mumbo Jumbo. Stargazers: Unreasonable Nitpickers.

Contrarians are free to render "Nit Pickers" as two words...

The only mnemonic I've ever needed with regard to the planets is "SUN" for "Saturn Uranus Neptune" -- once you're past Saturn, the gas giants are a blur, so that helps me to keep them in order.

Except, of course, that sometimes SUN(P) would be SUP(N) thanks to those pesky orbits.

Not that it matters now... sniff ... :cry:

Edited by mrmando

I've never used a mnemonic for the planets, but this I've used on many an occasion: Kermit pukes cookies on Fozzie's green sweater.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Anyone ever used Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts, But Vodka Goes Well?

I have no idea what Dale's mnemonic is for. Something to do with handbells?

Uh, no. It's something everyone ought to know, but no one does.

Dale

The accidental planet

If not for a cosmic coincidence in 1930, the controversy over Pluto et al. wouldn't be happening

Surdas Mohit, Vancouver Sun, August 24

Pluto vote 'hijacked' in revolt

A fierce backlash has begun against the decision by astronomers to strip Pluto of its status as a planet. On Thursday, experts approved a definition of a planet that demoted Pluto to a lesser category of object. But the lead scientist on Nasa's robotic mission to Pluto has lambasted the ruling, calling it "embarrassing". And the chair of the committee set up to oversee agreement on a definition implied that the vote had effectively been "hijacked". . . .

BBC News, August 25

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Anyone ever used Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts, But Vodka Goes Well?

I have no idea what Dale's mnemonic is for. Something to do with handbells?

Could Dale's be: Kingdom Phylum Class Family Genus Species

Ding ding ding, except you forgot "order."

Dale

Link to Peter's thread for film's mentioning 8 planets of the solar system.

FWIW I was reminded of this thread at Greenbelt this weekend. In a meditative/worship type thing on the creation of the universe the guy read straight off his script about the 9 planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and...(cue narrator's "oops should've changed this" smile) Pluto.

Minor titters from the crowd, vaguely embarrased looking narrator, and thankfully didn't spoitn an excellent meditation.

I found it funny at least.

As for all those mnemonic's at least they didn't extend the numbers of planets to ten - how would they have incorporated 2003 UB313?

Matt

What's mrmando's?

The only mnemonics I ever remember anymore are Roy G Biv and Every Good Boy Does Fine.

Pluto demoted again

Pity poor Pluto, the puny former planet is facing yet another indignity. Demoted from planetary status a year ago into a new category of dwarf planet, it now turns out that it isn't even the biggest one of those. "This is sort of Pluto's last stand," joked Emily Schaller of California Institute of Technology, co-author of a report in Thursday's issue of the journal Science.

Associated Press, June 14

S'funny. I started off thinking this was a sad story and then I suddenly realised what I was doing and thought "get a grip - it's just a lump of rock" (and a small one at that as it turns out)

Matt

Hi all - new to the site! So far, fun!

Heard the new mnemonic to remember the 8 major planets and the 3 dwarfs?

(Yes, Pluto is now in its right place among the little oddballs of ice and rock.)

http://www.space.com/news/ap-080227-planet...ic-contest.html

"Ten-year-old Maryn Smith's winning mnemonic is My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants."

In case you're curious who are these strange dwarfs?

Ceres (largest body in the Asteroid Belt - discovered over 100 years before Pluto),

Pluto (duh), and

Eris (larger than Pluto but over 3x further out).

(Yes, I'm a science teacher and a true nerd at heart...) ::geeky::