Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

2006 College Football

Chashab   

So, my wife and I are going to try and be better Arkansas Razorback fans this year

So, my wife and I are going to try and be better Arkansas Razorback fans this year

Chashab   

It's not about loyalties . . .

. . . and I've personally ceased making any predictions about any game. But you're welcome to it :)

No, Nebraska is in a bit of a pickle since (stupidly) letting Solich go. And Arkansas, well, they seem to have a good head coach and some talent, but other than that I don't know much. Yet.

MattP   

. . . and I've personally ceased making any predictions about any game. But you're welcome to it :)

No, Nebraska is in a bit of a pickle since (stupidly) letting Solich go. And Arkansas, well, they seem to have a good head coach and some talent, but other than that I don't know much. Yet.

Be careful about becoming too big of an Arkansas fan. I've got a few friends who are Razorback fans, and it's a recipe for perennial frustration...

Chashab   

Be careful about becoming too big of an Arkansas fan. I've got a few friends who are Razorback fans, and it's a recipe for perennial frustration...

Noted ;) And I'm kind of aware of that; they are in a really difficult conference, traditionally anyway. And we'll always have Nebraska to fall back on, even in mediocre years.

I've also been somewhat of a Syracuse fan for some time, and they haven't had the best of times lately either.

Adding: Geez; there's a ::smiley:: in every post in this thread so far :D

Edited by Chashab

Noted ;) And I'm kind of aware of that; they are in a really difficult conference, traditionally anyway. And we'll always have Nebraska to fall back on, even in mediocre years.

I've also been somewhat of a Syracuse fan for some time, and they haven't had the best of times lately either.

Adding: Geez; there's a ::smiley:: in every post in this thread so far :D

The only reason my posts have smilies is because I quoted people. There is nothing to smile about if you're an opponent of Ohio State. Notre Dame makes me gag, but I couldn't find a smilie for "gagging".

Darren H   
the Buckeyes will defeat ND in Tempe again this year for the championship

Don't they have to get past Texas first? ;) That's going to be a great game. Between that one and the Miami-FSU game, this season will be getting off to a fast start. Oh, and GO NOLES!

Closer to home, we're all really nervous about the Volunteers. It'll be great having David Cutcliff back as offensive coordinator, but we are weak at the skill positions. I'll be thrilled if we can manage a single pass play of greater than thirty yards all season.

Chashab, the Razorbacks would be a decent team if they played in any league other than the SEC, but there are at least seven teams in the conference who are better. The parity makes SEC football a heckuva lot of fun to watch, week in, week out, but we're not going to have a national champion again any time soon. It's almost impossible to get through the conference schedule and the championship game undefeated.

MattP   
the Buckeyes will defeat ND in Tempe again this year for the championship

Don't they have to get past Texas first? ;) That's going to be a great game. Between that one and the Miami-FSU game, this season will be getting off to a fast start. Oh, and GO NOLES!

Closer to home, we're all really nervous about the Volunteers. It'll be great having David Cutcliff back as offensive coordinator, but we are weak at the skill positions. I'll be thrilled if we can manage a single pass play of greater than thirty yards all season.

Chashab, the Razorbacks would be a decent team if they played in any league other than the SEC, but there are at least seven teams in the conference who are better. The parity makes SEC football a heckuva lot of fun to watch, week in, week out, but we're not going to have a national champion again any time soon. It's almost impossible to get through the conference schedule and the championship game undefeated.

Darren,

Not that we know each other all that well, but - as a life long Alabama fan - I just realized that we can never be friends...

Chashab   

Hmmm; the emotions start rolling early!

I don't really have it out for any team. I guess I like to root for the ones I like and not worry about all of the others. I probably had something against Texas teams for a while, but then, it's Texas. They still want to secede, right?

Go OrangeMen!

Hey Buckeye! Does this sound familiar? Wasn't Michigan in '97 supposed to be the last Big Ten national champion ever because of parity and the BCS? Gonna be an interesting year.

Hey Buckeye! Does this sound familiar? Wasn't Michigan in '97 supposed to be the last Big Ten national champion ever because of parity and the BCS? Gonna be an interesting year.

Yeah. I actually see the Buckeyes stumbling twice this year -- at Texas, and in the annual brawl against Michigan. Although the offense should be spectacular, that defense is still missing 9 starters from last year, and that's too much to overcome in terms of a national championship. I like the Buckeyes (went to grad school at OSU, but never quite developed the passion for the Big U. that I had for Ohio University in my undergrad years), but I just don't think they have quite enough to put them over the top. Why the defeat vs. Michigan? It pains me to write it, but Lloyd Carr is due, and Chad Henne is a much better quarterback than he showed last year.

My pick for the national championship? The USC Trojans. They're under the radar. Watch them go undefeated.

Well, thanks. Just don't let Buckeye Jones see that post. What I meant was that UM won (tied, sadly) the last pre-BCS title. Detroit is a cosmopolitan sports town where folks talk about almost EVERYTHING. Back then everyone said that with Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, and sometimes MSU on the rise; and Joe Pa not going anywhere; and OSU and UM insisting on playing each other all the time (while everyone previously mentioned gets an occasional year off from one or both of those two); the Big Ten would always beat itself to a pulp, BCS-wise. Obviously the '01 Clarrettes, I mean Buckeyes, as well as other near misses in BCS polls on the part of Big Ten teams have given that the lie. I'll bet the same will hold, in the long run, for SEC teams too.

The Texas game does not concern me. (At least, we'll see soon enough).

Iowa does a little--away, and a night game.

M&*(%*^gan is at home, and will be Lloyd Carr's last Big Ten game.

M&*(%*^gan is at home, and will be Lloyd Carr's last Big Ten game.

I see that you have been reading Detroit sportswriters and the Michigan Ulumni Newsletter.

Awww. He's quoting scripture, ain't that nice. I figure that untested defense is going to make everyone enthusiastic about a Buckeye visit this year, particularly on their away night games.... As to Michigan judging Carr on the merits of his Ohoi State performances, 1. UM is glacial in its temporal responses, 2. playing in Columbus is like a reconnaisence in force in enemy territory losing its supply lines (and nobody is saying that there will be a loss at this point, we've won there before, even when we weren't good), but losing in The Peoples' Republic of Ann Arbor one too many times is a capital crime.

Everyone wants Carr's head up here, but no one will get it anytime soon. I wouldn't whine if I were you. You'll probably have his efigy for quite a while. Just last week, Michigan (don't you just love how that name looks on a page?) was ranked sixth overall by the Wall Street Journal as a school whose grads do well in the pros because of intelligence, work ethic, and being underrated in drafts (think Brady and Cato June). This is the sort of thing that old Blues LOVE to hear. That's good coaching whether they kick rubes' asses or not.

MattP   

Just last week, Michigan (don't you just love how that name looks on a page?) was ranked sixth overall by the Wall Street Journal as a school whose grads do well in the pros because of intelligence, work ethic, and being underrated in drafts (think Brady and Cato June). This is the sort of thing that old Blues LOVE to hear. That's good coaching whether they kick rubes' asses or not.

Well, if I'm correct, Florida State was #1 on that list, and I can ASSURE you that intelligence and work ethic aren't factors in their case. I haven't seen the list myself, so I don't know if those qualities were specific to Michigan, but if they were generic qualities for the entire list, it's a bunch of hooey!

...Oh, and Darren - get in your shots now because ol' Phil and UT (possibly the only bigger bunch of thugs than FSU <_< ) is about to have a LOOOONGGG year...

Well, if I'm correct, Florida State was #1 on that list, and I can ASSURE you that intelligence and work ethic aren't factors in their case. I haven't seen the list myself, so I don't know if those qualities were specific to Michigan, but if they were generic qualities for the entire list, it's a bunch of hooey!

All of those were precisely the factors that scored Michigan so high, particularly the linemen. FSU was far and away the best school, attributable to the state (all three biggies in the top 10) and Bowden. Must be the coaching and the tradition (Miami grads push members of the team to step up)

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Chashab   

This . . . is . . . why . . . they . . . play . . . the . . . games.

And in comparison, what fun is the speculation??? ;)

MattP   

The speculation is fun because before the games everyone is undefeated!

The speculation is fun because before the games everyone is undefeated!

I will be so unbearable if the Bucks are still undefeated on 9/9 that Rich will have to ban me from this part of the site.

I will be so unbearable if the Bucks are still undefeated on 9/9 that Rich will have to ban me from this part of the site.

No no. I'm one of those sporting Wolverines that wants the rubes to have a decent record in the leadup to THE GAME. It's never about the record, it's always about the battle, is it not?

MattP   

Kentucky gets the award for worst football uni.

I had to click the link just because I couldn't believe what idiot wouldn't put Oregon #1 on that list -- then I find that they've been retired from the list because they're so bad every year! With them in the competition, it's not even close!