Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

2006 College Football

Darren H   

That sound you hear is a quarter million Tennesseans singing "Rocky Top"! UT just beat #9 Cal 35-18, but the game was a blowout. UT was up 35-0 and playing their second string quarterback midway through the third quarter.

MattP   

That sound you hear is a quarter million Tennesseans singing "Rocky Top"! UT just beat #9 Cal 35-18, but the game was a blowout. UT was up 35-0 and playing their second string quarterback midway through the third quarter.

Is that what that sound is? I thought it was the sound of a thousand screaming babies scaping their tiny nails on a thousand chalkboards as a thousand pterodactyls screached overhead.

Must be similar sounds.

<_<

Darren H   

Okay, the sound you hear now is the Florida State war chant. Our defense just limited the Hurricanes to 11 yards of total offense in the second half, and they did it at the Orange Bowl. This could be a really fun season.

On Thursday I'm headed to Toronto for 10 days of the International Film Festival. Thought you all might be interested to know that I haven't scheduled any films for the night of 9/16 because, instead, I'm going to find a bar to watch the UT v. Florida game.

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I love college football. :)

But Darren, this Saturday** is the evening you should clear your slate for: (1) Ohio State vs. (2) Texas*.

*Assuming those starry-eyed panderers at the AP get it right and give up their Charlie Weis-a-palooza love fest in light of the awkard and bumbling performance Saturday.

**Embarrassed edit.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

But Darren, this Friday is the evening you should clear your slate for: (1) Ohio State vs. (2) Texas*.

*Assuming those starry-eyed panderers at the AP get it right and give up their Charlie Weis-a-palooza love fest in light of the awkard and bumbling performance Saturday.

Good suggestion, but just a note that the game is actually Saturday night. If you cleared your slate for Friday evening, you'd probably end up watching poker on ESPN. Go to a movie instead.

[

Yeah. I actually see the Buckeyes stumbling twice this year -- at Texas, and in the annual brawl against Michigan. Although the offense should be spectacular, that defense is still missing 9 starters from last year, and that's too much to overcome in terms of a national championship. I like the Buckeyes (went to grad school at OSU, but never quite developed the passion for the Big U. that I had for Ohio University in my undergrad years), but I just don't think they have quite enough to put them over the top.

Andy, I might give you the Trojans in the national championship game, but the Buckeyes will beat them too.

[

Yeah. I actually see the Buckeyes stumbling twice this year -- at Texas, and in the annual brawl against Michigan. Although the offense should be spectacular, that defense is still missing 9 starters from last year, and that's too much to overcome in terms of a national championship. I like the Buckeyes (went to grad school at OSU, but never quite developed the passion for the Big U. that I had for Ohio University in my undergrad years), but I just don't think they have quite enough to put them over the top.

Andy, I might give you the Trojans in the national championship game, but the Buckeyes will beat them too.

You could be right. That young defense performed far, far better than anyone expected or dreamed last night. Still, I've seen too many juggernauts get derailed. Better to go with the anti-woof approach, I think. Those Cincinnati Bearcats can be fearsome. And that Bowling Green Falcon squad may be one of the best to ever emerge from the MAC.

Sigh. The bad thing about mighty Michigan's dispatching (finally) Notre Dame is that they have now been softened up for Sparty and for Ohoi State.

Now THAT is a performance we have been waiting for for years. It's about time too. There is a lot to avenge this year. Next week we get our Paul Bunyon Axe back. In Madison. We are also owed a Little Brown Jug this year. But it is one game at a time. GO BLUE.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Sigh. The bad thing about mighty Michigan's dispatching (finally) Notre Dame is that they have now been softened up for Sparty and for Ohoi State.

Now THAT is a performance we have been waiting for for years. It's about time too. There is a lot to avenge this year. Next week we get our Paul Bunyon Axe back. In Madison. We are also owed a Little Brown Jug this year. But it is one game at a time. GO BLUE.

i would love to see Ohio State win two more 1 vs 2 match ups this year. keep it up, Wx$@#@%ines.

Chashab   

Well, my new team to root for, Arkansas, pulled off some kind of meager victory. What's interesting is that they're starting a true freshman at QB who was highly touted, and hails from Arkansas.

Colorado is 0-3???

And my alma mater, the team I root for, is on it's way to lose to USC. I didn't expect a win. But the Huskers are doing a lot better this year. Their defense, with the exception of the corners, played well. And the play calling on offense was aa bit strange, a bit suspect. USC wasn't all that impressive other than the QB and his #8 receiver Jarrett, however. Of course they lost a lot of offensive power.

I must say though that after catching some glimpses of other games today that the sportsmanship in the NU vs USC game was refreshing on both sides.

Is anyone else completely put off by sports announcers these days? I don't know if they have changed or if I have changed, but the last few years they have come across in the games I watch or listen to as silly, at best. It seems like they are completely terrified of dead air, and while I understand it's not a good thing in broadcasting, they end up making a fool of themselves trying to fill time inbetween plays.

i would love to see Ohio State win two more 1 vs 2 match ups this year. keep it up, Wx$@#@%ines.

Heh heh. We'll see about that. This just might be the year of revenge for the smart guys.

Why do I keep thinking about '68 and '69? With all of the problems I've had from the Westerville (Columbus suburb) and Cincinnatti offices of my Ohio based company this year, a win at the Horseshoe and no tickets on the way back to the border would go a long way towards ameliorating those pains too.

Clint M   

I was happy as a Kentucky Wildcats fan can be to see that the University of Louisville Cardinals finally told the nation that they have a real football team in a Basketball state.

Now if they could just quit losing All-Americans to injuries!!

Heh heh. We'll see about that. This just might be the year of revenge for the smart guys.

Why do I keep thinking about '68 and '69? With all of the problems I've had from the Westerville (Columbus suburb) and Cincinnatti offices of my Ohio based company this year, a win at the Horseshoe and no tickets on the way back to the border would go a long way towards ameliorating those pains too.

The way OSU students have been behaving of late, I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't receive a ticket on your way back to the border. Your car would be torched before the game was over (in the absence of cars with Michigan plates, we just burn couches), and therefore undriveable. There are some seriously deranged people disguised as rabid Buckeye fans.

Here is a letter from the sports section of today's Columbus Dispatch. It's about Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, who hails from Dublin, Ohio, a Columbus suburb:

"Brady Quinn left Columbus!! His family should leave too!! How could you put a large color picture of him on the front of the Sports section and a small picture of our own Troy Smith on p. 3? I suggest you move to Notre Dame where you can publicize your favorite. This is Buckeye country, and I do not want to pay for a paper with that crap on the front page when I wake up in the morning."

Right on, Bubba Buckeye. Love those exclamation points!! And if y'all don't like it, you can just move to Notre Dame too!! By the way, Rich, if you ever venture to that suburban Columbus office, let me know. I live in Westerville.

MattP   

Okay, the sound you hear now is the Florida State war chant. Our defense just limited the Hurricanes to 11 yards of total offense in the second half, and they did it at the Orange Bowl. This could be a really fun season.

On Thursday I'm headed to Toronto for 10 days of the International Film Festival. Thought you all might be interested to know that I haven't scheduled any films for the night of 9/16 because, instead, I'm going to find a bar to watch the UT v. Florida game.

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I love college football. :)

I thought about posting something derogatory about UT after their loss to Florida yesterday, but then I noticed in this post that you're an FSU fan too. Seeing how they lost yesterday to Bowden Jr. as well, I'd say you're probably hurting enough right now without me piling on...

:D

The way OSU students have been behaving of late, I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't receive a ticket on your way back to the border. Your car would be torched before the game was over (in the absence of cars with Michigan plates, we just burn couches), and therefore undriveable. There are some seriously deranged people disguised as rabid Buckeye fans.

Here is a letter from the sports section of today's Columbus Dispatch. It's about Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, who hails from Dublin, Ohio, a Columbus suburb:

"Brady Quinn left Columbus!! His family should leave too!! How could you put a large color picture of him on the front of the Sports section and a small picture of our own Troy Smith on p. 3? I suggest you move to Notre Dame where you can publicize your favorite. This is Buckeye country, and I do not want to pay for a paper with that crap on the front page when I wake up in the morning."

Right on, Bubba Buckeye. Love those exclamation points!! And if y'all don't like it, you can just move to Notre Dame too!! By the way, Rich, if you ever venture to that suburban Columbus office, let me know. I live in Westerville.

What's wrong with the exclamation points!!! I worked extra hard to get those all in!

By the way, Rich, if you ever venture to that suburban Columbus office, let me know. I live in Westerville.

Yes, I know. I thought long and hard before posting something that might be perceived as a slap to your neighborhood. I'm not that high up in the chain right now and given the chaos of the ongoing merger (two and a half years and counting), I'm not sure I want to. Thanks for the invite, though.

Up here, we were unaware of the fact that Krenzel came from a Detroit suburb until his breakout season. Many felt betrayed, but I believe the Krenzels are still safe in Clarkston. We prefer to play it smug up here. We don't even have a sideline mascot, just a transcendent fight song with prelude.

Chashab   

So should the Oregon/Oklahoma game be overturned?

I hope the Buckeyes will leave their first half bumblings behind them as they head out to Iowa. This is only game I'm nervous about this season. Well, Penn State had me a little tense yesterday.

Heh heh. The only one, huh?

Sorry, Rich, but that team up north just doesn't worry me anymore. Not with Tressel at the helm. Smith is unbeaten against them, and the game's in Columbus.

I will grant you the Rose Bowl, with a one- or two-loss team vs. USC or Auburn.

The Rose Bowl, huh? Sounds like a good fit for the Bucks.

Chashab   

Any one else notice that most college football players major in (generally speaking) one of two fields:

Communications or Sociology.

I know it's not always. A walk-on and friend of mine at Nebraska (this is 8 years ago now) was actually an engineering major, which I found impressive. It's a demanding major.

Any one else notice that most college football players major in (generally speaking) one of two fields:

Communications or Sociology.

I know it's not always. A walk-on and friend of mine at Nebraska (this is 8 years ago now) was actually an engineering major, which I found impressive. It's a demanding major.

The above mentioned Craig Krenzel, who led the Buckeyes to their 2002 championship, was a molecular genetics major. He'll be a doctor someday. (Given his NFL career it may be someday soon, unfortunately).

If anyone is going to veer from the norm, it will most often be an offensive lineman. Michigan has sent quite a few to law and med school.