Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

2006 College Football

nevermind

You have been an excellent foil this season. I am not accustomed to that in a fan of the Rubes. Not being a Big Ten fan, I did kind of root for FLA tonite, forgive me. (Myer has come in for a lot of heat up here for his campaigning for a slot in this bowl. This is not the Michigan way. Say what you will about Carr as a game coach [we certainly do], he'd never fuss and fulminate like that).

OTOH, the vindication I feel is not for the fun we've had, but for all the stuffed shirt truck drivers out of the Delaware Warehouse I've had to suffer through since The Game. I'm hoping that one in particular stops by again real soon.

MattP   

It's going to be a little harder to play the "overrated SEC" card next year after tonight's game. And to think, I'd still play Florida any day of the week before I'd take on LSU...

First Michigan, then Notre Dame, now Ohio State. It's fun to be a southern football fan right now. ::blushing::

"Honestly, we've played a lot better teams than them," Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss said. "I could name four or five teams in the SEC that could probably compete with them and play the same type of game we did against them."

Ouch. :lol:

Darren H   

O-ver-Ra-ted CLAP CLAP CLAP clap CLAP!

:)

As a Knoxvillian and Florida State alum, I hate Florida, but, man, it was fun watching the SEC embarrass the Big Ten.

As a Knoxvillian and Florida State alum, I hate Florida, but, man, it was fun watching the SEC embarrass the Big Ten.

As an Ohio State alum and a resident of a Coiumbus 'burb, I have to say ... not so much.

That was dismal. Going into the game, I obviously knew Florida was talented. I even thought they might win. But I never, in my wildest dreams, expected the kind of beatdown they administered on the Buckeyes. Too much turkey and Christmas cheer for the big boys, I suspect. The linemen's feet seemed to be encased in cement. Troy Smith never had a chance.

But ... on the bright side, people in central Ohio may rediscover that they have lives, and that will be a good thing. They will mope around for a day or two, eventually figure out that the next football game isn't for another nine months, and perhaps decide to focus on God, their families, and their careers in the meantime. Idols will let you down every time.

Check that. Spring practice starts in early April. Still, people have a few months to regroup.

While Florida embarrassed Ohio State, the Big Ten has a 2-1 record against the SEC this bowl season.

And this was the worst game I've seen the Bucks play since the 2000 Outback Bowl that cost Cooper his job. But I don't know if anyone could have beaten the Gators last night. Wow. If I thought Meyer was insufferable before, I'll need to cancel cable (and thus ESPN) now.

Anyway, I'm still rooting for Boise State vs Ohio State. Honestly, what would that look like? Could they beat OSU? Eh, not really. What about someone like Florida or Cal? I'd love to see a non-BCS team win a BCS bowl game. Not that it's likely to happen...

Well, it happened. Now I'm really curious: could BSU have beaten OSU?

On to another topic, I have a question for those who actually watched the whole game last night. I scratched my head through the first half, and gave up at half-time. So...in reality, last night's surprise was the result of a badly underperforming Ohio State team and a severe underrating of Florida. But if one was to oversimplify the matter, which way would you tend? Was it the case that OSU had a really bad night, Florida had a great night, but the two teams are more or less equal at the fundamental level? Or, is Florida really a significantly better team that OSU, and last night's game demonstrated that amply?

I've been turned off this year by all the talk of the SEC being the greatest/toughest/dominant conference. But I'm nearly a believer after last night.

Edited by Jeff Kolb

Anyway, I'm still rooting for Boise State vs Ohio State. Honestly, what would that look like? Could they beat OSU? Eh, not really. What about someone like Florida or Cal? I'd love to see a non-BCS team win a BCS bowl game. Not that it's likely to happen...

Well, it happened. Now I'm really curious: could BSU have beaten OSU?

On to another topic, I have a question for those who actually watched the whole game last night. I scratched my head through the first half, and gave up at half-time. So...in reality, last night's surprise was the result of a badly underperforming Ohio State team and a severe underrating of Florida. But if one was to oversimplify the matter, which way would you tend? Was it the case that OSU had a really bad night, Florida had a great night, but the two teams are more or less equal at the fundamental level? Or, is Florida really a significantly better team that OSU, and last night's game demonstrated that amply?

I've been turned off this year by all the talk of the SEC being the greatest/toughest/dominant conference. But I'm nearly a believer after last night.

I don't think any team could have beaten Florida last night. I also haven't seen the Bucks play like this for years. So its a combination of both--such a drubbing cannot be completed attributed to one factor. Note the defense held the Gators to one TD in the second half--they made the correct adjustments. But the offense could not handle the Florida d-line at all.

Darren H   
While Florida embarrassed Ohio State, the Big Ten has a 2-1 record against the SEC this bowl season.
True, but the SEC was 6-3 overall in the bowls, and their three losses were by a combined 16 points. Alabama lost by 3 to Oklahoma State in the "How Did Either of These Teams Make It To a Bowl" Bowl, a 10-and-3 Arkansas team almost pulled it out against an 11-and-1 Wisconsin, and if Arian Foster hadn't fumbled the ball on the Penn State 3 yard line Tennessee's 10-point loss could have very easily been a win (not that they played well enough to deserve it). The Big Ten's five bowl losses were by a combined 63 points. Ugly.

Note the defense held the Gators to one TD in the second half--they made the correct adjustments. But the offense could not handle the Florida d-line at all.

The Gators changed their offensive style in the second half, too. They passed more than I expected them to, actually, but the offense slowed things down and played more conservatively -- running and throwing short passes -- in order to control the clock. Ohio State only had the ball four times and ran only 19 plays in the second half, so I'm not sure how much credit I'm willing to give OSU's defensive adjustments.

But if one was to oversimplify the matter, which way would you tend?

If forced to oversimplify the matter, I'd say that Florida was that good. I watched them play five or six times this year, and I've been watching Leak since he was a freshman, and that was the best coached, best prepared, most efficient Florida team I've seen in years. As a Vols fan, I've always been able to count on Leak to force three or four ugly passes and to fumble the ball once or twice while scrambling. He was impressive last night.

I wonder if that opening kickoff return was the worst thing that could have happened to OSU. Maybe an opening drive, even if it only went for 30 yards or so, would have settled them down? Their defensive line got knocked back on their heels during that opening Florida drive and they never really recovered.

The Gators changed their offensive style in the second half, too. They passed more than I expected them to, actually, but the offense slowed things down and played more conservatively -- running and throwing short passes -- in order to control the clock. Ohio State only had the ball four times and ran only 19 plays in the second half, so I'm not sure how much credit I'm willing to give OSU's defensive adjustments.

I wonder if that opening kickoff return was the worst thing that could have happened to OSU. Maybe an opening drive, even if it only went for 30 yards or so, would have settled them down? Their defensive line got knocked back on their heels during that opening Florida drive and they never really recovered.

I think the 4 possessions and 19 plays is the offense's fault--the d got the ball back, but Smith & co. could do nothing with it. At the end of the day, Florida's third TD was enough to salt this one away, so I don't know how much it matters what adjustments the D makes for the 2nd half.

The same thought crossed my mind about the kickoff return. Not only did Ginn get hurt in the celebration, his loss killed our offensive screens and deep threat (Ginn did both very well during the season).

The biggest shame for me is that the Bucks just looked 180 degrees different than they have in any game in the last four years. I could handle a loss, but this embarrassment--there's almost nothing I can grab ahold of as a positive. Except that since the offense had such a horrid night maybe the silver lining is that (a) Ginn, Gonzalez, Pittman return for their senior years, and ( b ) Tressel can't renegotiate his contract so then he's not tempted by the Brown's offer.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Aaahh. I'm getting sucked into a Big Ten defense here. Comparing Bowl records, the Big Ten looks awful. OTOH, how far do SEC teams have to travel to most bowl games? Ever since I moved up here 36 years ago, the point has been made concerning the inherent advantage the Pac 10 had in the Rose Bowl and the fact that it was practically a home game for two of the best teams in the conference. Not an excuse, a factor. This is a natural advantage/disadvantage. Nobody wants to travel to Big Ten country for a New Years' bowl game.

mrmando   
Aaahh. I'm getting sucked into a Big Ten defense here. Comparing Bowl records, the Big Ten looks awful. OTOH, how far do SEC teams have to travel to most bowl games? Ever since I moved up here 36 years ago, the point has been made concerning the inherent advantage the Pac 10 had in the Rose Bowl and the fact that it was practically a home game for two of the best teams in the conference. Not an excuse, a factor. This is a natural advantage/disadvantage. Nobody wants to travel to Big Ten country for a New Years' bowl game.

In terms of distance, Cleveland's a little closer to Phoenix than Tallahassee is, ain't it? But in terms of climate, perhaps Florida had the advantage. Maybe OSU just wasn't accustomed to playing in warm weather.

MattP   

In terms of distance, Cleveland's a little closer to Phoenix than Tallahassee is, ain't it? But in terms of climate, perhaps Florida had the advantage. Maybe OSU just wasn't accustomed to playing in warm weather.

FYI, Gainesville, not Tallahassee...

Hmm. Ohio State is in Columbus. And its been unseasonably warm here and cool in PHX, so my guess is that weather did not have a negative effect on the Bucks. The crowd was mostly Buckeyes too. And we've owned the Fiesta Bowl the last four years. There's no good excuse, we just flopped.

mrmando   
Hmm. Ohio State is in Columbus. And its been unseasonably warm here and cool in PHX, so my guess is that weather did not have a negative effect on the Bucks. The crowd was mostly Buckeyes too. And we've owned the Fiesta Bowl the last four years. There's no good excuse, we just flopped.

Well, it takes talent to get BOTH cities wrong. ::blush:: Sorry.

Edited by mrmando

There's no good excuse, we just flopped.

Don't feel too bad. My school flopped 38-8 against a non-BCS conference team...