Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

2006 College Football

So should the Oregon/Oklahoma game be overturned?

Of course not...

-Jeff, a Duck

[persuasive, ain't I?]

So should the Oregon/Oklahoma game be overturned?

Of course not...

-Jeff, a Duck

[persuasive, ain't I?]

Very persuasive ;)

Although from where I sat, the ball didn't go 10 yards.

But I don't think it should be overturned either. I mean, what of the games 60 years ago where replay wasn't an option anyway? Deal with it. I respect Stoops and Oklahoma generally, but I think he made too big of a deal out of it.

Hmmm, I don't think anyone else here is really following the Big 12, but it's kind of a mess this year.

My team, Nebraska, struggled needlessly against against Kansas after being ahead comfortably in the first half. But more interesting than that was 1-3 cellar dweller Baylor beating 3-1 Kansas State.

It was pointed out yesterday though that some other "shoe-ins" yesterday lost or barely eaked out a win. Maybe there was something in the air!

Hey hey! Something to cheer for with respect to my newly adopted team to root for. Unranked (and for good reason, really) Arkansas knocks off #2 Auburn.

Yeah, congrats, Chashab (as if you're the one to credit!). That was great to see Auburn knocked off like that. Arkansas played beautifully.

Ducks vs Bears starts in an hour. Man, this has the potential to be a good one. Or, Cal could choke a la Tennessee, or Oregon could extend an extensive history of buckling under pressure. But the teams both have such nicely-matched strengths.

Edited by Jeff Kolb

Holy crap! The Volunteers just put up 51 points at Georgia, 37 of 'em in the second half! Jeff, five weeks ago I also assumed that UT's whuppin' of California was the product of a UC choke. Now I'm starting to think the Vols are the real deal. That game tonight was the most fun I've had watching football in a long time.

Jeff, five weeks ago I also assumed that UT's whuppin' of California was the product of a UC choke.

Me, too. And with Florida at #2, that one 1-pt loss is looking less and less bad.

Ducks vs Bears starts in an hour. Man, this has the potential to be a good one.

I said potential, mind you. Gosh, that was wretched.

I'm amazed that Missouri is 6-0 right now! I never would have expected that. It's like they finally figured out since they're the only Division I program in a state with two large urban areas, then they ought to start being a consistently good team for a change.

Nebraska walk-on gets cut then earns scholarship while blind in one eye.

I'm amazed that Missouri is 6-0 right now! I never would have expected that. It's like they finally figured out since they're the only Division I program in a state with two large urban areas, then they ought to start being a consistently good team for a change.

Yeah, I'm more worried about Missouri than anyone else in the Big 12 North for Nebraska. I think Nebraska has a lot of potential but isn't executing consistantly . . . story of a lot of teams.

Well, how 'bout that? Looks like my namesakes will win three 1 vs. 2 matchups this year. That must be some kind of record.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Lot of confidence there. Seems like Michigan's been doing really well . . .

Was a week of messy upsets in a lot of ways though. My alma mater plays Texas next week. The only consolation is that it's at home. If Nebraska plays it's best game and plays THE WHOLE game they could probably pull it off. But they still don't seem to be executing as well as they can/should be.

Meanwhile, Arkansas is in an unusual position for itself, 13th in the BCS and with sole possession of the SEC west.

Lot of confidence there. Seems like Michigan's been doing really well . . .

And I hope they continue to do really well, and that USC stumbles in the next three weeks. And that scUM stops doing really well on Nov 18th.

I'm not really worried though. Iowa was the game I was concerned with, after Texas. But the Bucks looked stellar against Iowa--just really, really efficient. I always enjoy seeing Drew Tate get upset, and he did not disappoint. But then IU beat them last week...

MSU looked embarrassingly bad Saturday, and I'm a little disappointed our third string defense didnt' keep them off the board, but I couldn't believe that two injuries would turn the team that manhandled ND (for 3 qtrs) into Northwestern.

Now for me, its just who do I want to be number 2 in January? Not USC, but I would like to see an undefeated. How about the Mountaineers? I think the best game of the season will be on the 18th, I guess.

Now for me, its just who do I want to be number 2 in January? Not USC, but I would like to see an undefeated. How about the Mountaineers? I think the best game of the season will be on the 18th, I guess.

I just don't have a lot of respect for WVA. They might make it, but I'd rather see a tested team. Michigan deserves that. :P

Texas at Nebraska game tomorrow only the third meeting of teams with 800 wins or more. Notre Dame and Michigan also have more than 800 wins, and played each other last month.

POST GAME:

Wow, what a great game this was! I haven't been so into a game as I was into this one (particularly the second half) in a loooooooooong time. Seems quite likely TX and NU will play again in the Big 12 Championship, although NU has some competition ahead of it still in Missouri and TX A&M.

I thought Nebraska's D played really well all game — especially in the red zone. And both teams had a couple of miscues and caught a couple of breaks. It was more well-matched than I even expected. Nebraska's O was still less consistant than I think they should be.

Edited by Chashab

So, how's this for a scenario:

ND loses to Navy, but beats USC

USC drops one to Oregon and UND

Louisville does in WVa

OSU beats M$%@#gan

Fiesta: ND vs. Texas

Rose: USC vs. Louisville

Orange: WVa vs. Fla

Sugar: Auburn vs. Tennessee

Jan 8 National Championship: Ohio State (1) vs. M$#@%gan (2)

So, how's this for a scenario:

ND loses to Navy, but beats USC

USC drops one to Oregon and UND

Louisville does in WVa

OSU beats M$%@#gan

Won't happen, at least in that scenario. Then it would be (I would think) Ohio State (1) vs. Louisville, or Ohio State vs. once-defeated Texas, assuming that both Louisville and Texas win out. There's no way a once-defeated M$#@%gan will be in the title game if there are a bunch of other once-defeated teams who lost much earlier in the year.

Auburn and/or Tenn would also have a better chance of reaching the game in that scenario. Given that the media generally is in agreement that the SEC is the toughest conference this year, either of those one loss teams would likely make the title game if there aren't two undefeateds (and possibly even over a no loss Big East team).

Under no circumstances will Louisville make the title game. .7215 BCS rating. I don't think they can make up the difference in the next four weeks, even if they win out.

Two major problems with this scenario: 1) No way one conference will get three BCS bids, and 2) Um, you forgot about the ACC, which is a BCS conference. Clemson's for real and will deserve their spot.

Won't happen, at least in that scenario. Then it would be (I would think) Ohio State (1) vs. Louisville, or Ohio State vs. once-defeated Texas, assuming that both Louisville and Texas win out. There's no way a once-defeated M$#@%gan will be in the title game if there are a bunch of other once-defeated teams who lost much earlier in the year.

Heard an interesting interview of Kirk Herbstreidt on "Stoney and Wojo" today. His reasoning says it is impossible for Michigan and the Rubes to meet in the title game. When an undefeated team loses, regardless of place in it's schedule, it will almost never drop only one spot, but two at least. Therefore, if the Rubes lose, they will end their season at best third. If The Victors lose, no better than fourth. Herbstreidt argues that, whatever happens, only one will survive. His irony is that the winner plays for the national championship, the loser goes to The Rose Bowl.

Buckeye: do you really believe that USC will lose two? They very well could win out.

Two major problems with this scenario: 1) No way one conference will get three BCS bids, and 2) Um, you forgot about the ACC, which is a BCS conference. Clemson's for real and will deserve their spot.

My bad. Substitute one of the Big East teams.

Buckeye: do you really believe that USC will lose two? They very well could win out.

Now, I'm just having a little bit of speculating fun. I think of the teams that are left in the top ten that have a chance to lose two, USC is definitely one. ND is another, and Louisville still another. My knowledge of the SEC and ACC is woefully ignorant, but I certainly don't think they're as tough as they make out.

My knowledge of the SEC ... is woefully ignorant, but I certainly don't think they're as tough as they make out.

Just saving this for posterity...

:D

My knowledge of the SEC ... is woefully ignorant, but I certainly don't think they're as tough as they make out.

Just saving this for posterity...

:D

I think the SEC is probably the toughest football conference, top to bottom. Which is not to say that they have the best teams, or, more correctly, team. I think that honor is reserved for the team that is currently ranked #1. I suspect Rich might disagree. We'll find out on November 18th.

I think the SEC is probably the toughest football conference, top to bottom. Which is not to say that they have the best teams, or, more correctly, team. I think that honor is reserved for the team that is currently ranked #1. I suspect Rich might disagree. We'll find out on November 18th.

There's a reason that Michigan started so low back in August (no one, even UM fans, thought they deserved a top 15 or better ranking until they creamed ND in South Bend, something they had failed to do for a while). Michigan has to prove its worth. The Bucks have been successful in that business for a while now.

But the best conference has nothing to do with housing the best team. Can anyone say that the Pac 10 has been the toughest conference, or the Big 12 recently? The SEC is dense, very dense. maybe TN, Auburn, and AR might stand out in the final analysis, but playing GA, Fla, LSU, AL, and now SC is never an easy task, even when any of those teams struggle to stay above .500. I'd say that the ACC (my sentimental fave conference, as to the Big 10, I'm a Michigan fan. Period. That's heresy up here) is a big disappointment this year. Clemson is good, but all the import power houses are having absurdly down years, which makes Clemson misleadingly strong. This is the year to beat FSU, Miami, Va Tech, etc. The other schools are waiting for basketball season.

There's a reason that Michigan started so low back in August (no one, even UM fans, thought they deserved a top 15 or better ranking until they creamed ND in South Bend, something they had failed to do for a while). Michigan has to prove its worth. The Bucks have been successful in that business for a while now.

I was kinda bummed I couldn't see the Mich/Nebraksa bowl game last year. Apparently it was really good.

But the best conference has nothing to do with housing the best team. Can anyone say that the Pac 10 has been the toughest conference, or the Big 12 recently? The SEC is dense, very dense. maybe TN, Auburn, and AR might stand out in the final analysis, but playing GA, Fla, LSU, AL, and now SC is never an easy task, even when any of those teams struggle to stay above .500. I'd say that the ACC (my sentimental fave conference, as to the Big 10, I'm a Michigan fan. Period. That's heresy up here) is a big disappointment this year. Clemson is good, but all the import power houses are having absurdly down years, which makes Clemson misleadingly strong. This is the year to beat FSU, Miami, Va Tech, etc. The other schools are waiting for basketball season.

SEC is really solid right now, yup. And the Big 12 is a little like how you describe the ACC, IMO. Being a Husker fan, this is the conference I follow, and in the last 5 years it's become much more of a mish-mash than it used to be. And other than Texas, there haven't been any real standouts in the conference for some time now. (Adding: At least, not that I recall. My stat-head brother-in-law would be able to say this for sure or not.)

Edited by Chashab