Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

2006 College Football

Clemson's for real and will deserve their spot.

Might want to hold that thought...

Boston College, Wake Forest, and Maryland are now in a three-way tie for first in the ACC Atlantic division. Won't the BCS bowls be licking their chops for the chance to host one of those teams!

Edited by popechild

I went to the Ohio State-Minnesota game yesterday. Worst 44-0 victory I've ever seen! Can't wait until the 18th!

I hate games like that. I like a mini-war for my money. I've got the day off for the 18th, or at least I've put in for a personal day. Only problem is that my wet-blanket-spouse will start complaining about how bad we suck as soon as OSU strings two or three first downs to gether on the same drive. To her, the team of her choice is only good if the opposition cannot get off of the line of scrimmage, get on base, make a pass past the Blue line, or cannot drive to the hole. I wish that she had played some of these games as a kid, though it is a blessing in itself to have a wife who is a sports fan.

So, can we start complaining about the BCS yet? Tennessee has one loss -- a one-point defeat to #4 Florida -- but we're still ranked behind Cal, who we trounced on opening day. And when I say "trounced," I mean it. The final score was, I think, 35-17, but we were up 35-0 in the third quarter before our third-stringers gave up a couple cheap touchdowns late in the game.

Anyone else hoping that Louisville and West Virginia both lose on Thursday?

Only problem is that my wet-blanket-spouse will start complaining about how bad we suck as soon as OSU strings two or three first downs to gether on the same drive.

I'm feeling for you, Rich. Just think what she'll be doing when you're down 21-7 at halftime.

So, can we start complaining about the BCS yet? Tennessee has one loss -- a one-point defeat to #4 Florida -- but we're still ranked behind Cal, who we trounced on opening day. And when I say "trounced," I mean it. The final score was, I think, 35-17, but we were up 35-0 in the third quarter before our third-stringers gave up a couple cheap touchdowns late in the game.

Anyone else hoping that Louisville and West Virginia both lose on Thursday?

Yeah, I'm not too sure how Cal is ranked behind Tennessee. It is a head scratcher. And no, I don't hope Louisville or West Virginia lose. Growing up rooting for the Washington St. Cougars, football programs like Louisville give me hope.

Yeah, I'm not too sure how Cal is ranked behind Tennessee. It is a head scratcher. And no, I don't hope Louisville or West Virginia lose.

Well, Thursday night your hopes will be dashed. Go Cardinals!

I'm feeling for you, Rich. Just think what she'll be doing when you're down 21-7 at halftime.

HA! That has to be the nicest thing you've said of the fabled Maise and Blue and their loyal, if elegantly restrained fans. Is that a promise? Is this an indication of your skills at prognostication?

Edited by Rich Kennedy

HA! That has to be the nicest thing you've said of the fabled Maise and Blue and their loyal, if elegantly restrained fans. Is that a promise? Is this an indication of your skills at prognostication?

Rich, I can't tell if its your mind in the gutter, or mine. ;)

Alright, Cardinals! (good year to have your team named after the redbird.) Now, go Rutgers! Beat Louisville! Go WVU, beat Rutgers!

And stumble, Florida, stumble!

Are you actually rooting for a rematch for all the marbles? All we will get is something like USC or other wounded duck unless everyone but our heroes has two losses. Actually, if WVA or Louisville survives and gats #2, whoevever wins out on 11.18 will look like superheroes against either of those defenses.

BTW, as to your twist on the halftime score, if you prove to be correct, there will be no opportunity for doubling that entendre. Like I say, she gets bent out of shape at three first downs, somebody scoring first against the 'Wings, a five point run early against the Pistons. You get the idea. Has nothing to do with THE GAME.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Ah, I'm a bit disappointed Louisville won last night. I was really hoping to see them in the BCS championship. It looks more and more like its going to be the OSU-Michigan winner verses somebody from the SEC. As a West Coast person, if I hear one more "the SEC is the best thing going" comment I'm going to vomit. Statements like that are sort of self-fullfilling.

"Why is Florida so good?"

"Look at who've they've played. Auburn. LSU. Georgia. Tennessee. It's brutal."

"OK. Then why is Auburn so good?"

"Look at who've they've played. Florida. LSU. Georgia. Tennesse. It's brutal."

Good grief.

Ah, I'm a bit disappointed Louisville won last night. I was really hoping to see them in the BCS championship.

Louisville lost.

You may still see Rutgers in the BCS championship, but I think that WVU will beat them.

I think you'll see a rematch in the BCS. Ohio State vs. Texas or Ohio State vs. M@#$igan.

Kyle, until you name another conference whose top five teams are better than the SEC's, I don't have any sympathy for you. Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Arkansas are easily among the best fifteen teams in the country.

Ken, I love your scenario, especially if Florida or Auburn or Arkansas and Southern Cal or Cal also win out. I guess some of the one-loss teams will end up playing against each other in the other BCS bowls, but there's a chance for a real log jam at the top of the polls this year. And isn't that what makes college football so much fun? ;)

Ah, I'm a bit disappointed Louisville won last night. I was really hoping to see them in the BCS championship. It looks more and more like its going to be the OSU-Michigan winner verses somebody from the SEC. As a West Coast person, if I hear one more "the SEC is the best thing going" comment I'm going to vomit. Statements like that are sort of self-fullfilling.

"Why is Florida so good?"

"Look at who've they've played. Auburn. LSU. Georgia. Tennessee. It's brutal."

"OK. Then why is Auburn so good?"

"Look at who've they've played. Florida. LSU. Georgia. Tennesse. It's brutal."

Good grief.

Come on. After we've all had to hear for 3 years in a row how good the Pac 10 is, even though they only have one horse in the race year in and year out.

How 'bout this. Auburn 40, Washington State 14.

Or this. Tennessee 35, California 18.

If you want somebody to prove a team is good, and then take away all their conference wins as proof because it's circular logic, then you're never going to have anybody left with more than 1 Top 25 non-conference win.

Ah, I'm a bit disappointed Louisville won last night. I was really hoping to see them in the BCS championship.

Louisville lost.

You may still see Rutgers in the BCS championship, but I think that WVU will beat them.

I think you'll see a rematch in the BCS. Ohio State vs. Texas or Ohio State vs. M@#$igan.

Never happen for Rutgers. As long as there are "major" teams left with 1 loss, Rutgers will never see the inside of a BCS Championship game.

The OSU/Mich rematch will never happen either unless some other teams stumble badly. For better or worse, you get punished much more severely for late season losses than early season ones.

I knew I might stir a hornets nest with my comments about the SEC. I was exagerating more than slightly. And no, I don't think the Pac-10 is better than the SEC. I think the Pac-10 has been pretty weak this year. The SEC, might very well be the best out there. I don't know. I don't think we really know until the bowls come around. I'm just saying it's hard to evaluate the strength of a conference because the vast majority of the games any team play are against conference opponents. Any time a team can go undefeated in its own conference should be celebrated, no matter your conference.

Part of the problem with the comparision of confrences is the non-conference match-ups come early in the year. Yes, Tennessee gave Cal a serious, and I mean serious beatdown. I'd be interested in seeing how they match-up at the end of the year. The same is true of USC/Arkansas. USC won pretty easily. I think it might be a different story now. Take last year for example. Texas beat Ohio St. on what, the first week of the season? I'm not so sure.

I guess the only solution is to have a national championship tournament. But I'm actually old school. I kind of enjoy all the bickering and complaining about who is and isn't getting hosed.

Oh, and I'd forgotten about Bosie St.

How about Bosie St. vs. Rutgers for the BCS championship?

Edited by Kyle

So...four teams in the top eight lost. That was pretty crazy.

I'm a bit bummed I have class all day Saturday. I'm missing Ohio St. and Michigan and the game that really matters, Washington St. and Washington.

I guess the only solution is to have a national championship tournament. But I'm actually old school. I kind of enjoy all the bickering and complaining about how is and isn't getting hosed.

Not just that, there's something to be said (and some are arguing this) about the tradition wrapped up in bowl games. I was more adamant about this myself a few years back, before sponsorships became so entwined in the bowls and they started adding bowls just because of sponsorships. This is dorky. It ruins the aura of the bowl games for me.

Yesterday was a wild wild ride. The Texas/K-state game was NUTS! Nebraska barely pulled it out (consistancy in execution again, when will they play well through a whole game?) and Arkansas really turned some heads for the first time.

I'm a bit bummed I have class all day Saturday. I'm missing Ohio St. and Michigan and the game that really matters, Washington St. and Washington.

I'll pray that your prof gets sick.

I'll pray that your prof gets sick.

Is there a game coming up this weekend? In Columbus you'd hardly know it. :)

As evidence of Buckeye mania, I offer "Block O" pizza. A "Block O" pizza is a pizza with pepperoni arrayed in the shape of an "O" near the center of the pizza. Normally, the pizza establishment that is selling this inspired bit of marketing genius advertizes "edge-to-edge pepperoni." Here they put on one third the pepperoni and charge $2 more per pizza for the privilege. Brilliant.

I'm thinking of doing them one better and starting my own "Block O White Out 1950" pizza. A "Block O White Out 1950" pizza commemorates the famous 1950 Snowbowl between Ohio State and Michigan, a game in which the OSU student "Block O" section was impossible to see because of all the swirling snow. It will be a plain cheese pizza, but I'll charge $2 more than the regular "Block O" pizza.

I'm thinking of doing them one better and starting my own "Block O White Out 1950" pizza. A "Block O White Out 1950" pizza commemorates the famous 1950 Snowbowl between Ohio State and Michigan, a game in which the OSU student "Block O" section was impossible to see because of all the swirling snow. It will be a plain cheese pizza, but I'll charge $2 more than the regular "Block O" pizza.

Speaking of preparations in Columbus, are the suburbs requiring residents to move their couches off their porches like the City is doing?

Seems a bit mean spirited--its hard to watch the cars burning while eating your Block O slice without a comfy couch to sit on.

Speaking of preparations in Columbus, are the suburbs requiring residents to move their couches off their porches like the City is doing?

Seems a bit mean spirited--its hard to watch the cars burning while eating your Block O slice without a comfy couch to sit on.

We don't have couches on the porches in the suburbs. In fact, we don't even have porches. We have decks. And ten-foot inflatable Brutus Buckeye lawn ornaments.

I did see an article in yesterday's Columbus Dispatch noting that no bars/carry-outs within a two-mile radius of campus will be able to sell bottled beer next weekend. Cans are okay because they're lightweight when they're empty, and can't cause much damage. I also note that this bottle ban does not extend to imported beers. Apparently the students can only afford Bud and Miller Lite.

I also note that this bottle ban does not extend to imported beers. Apparently the students can only afford Bud and Miller Lite.

That's SO true! I always raise an eyebrow when I'm carded while buying a $10/4 pack of North Coast Old Rasputin. If someone underage is trying to buy beer, they're not going to be buying a $2.50 Imperial Stout!

We don't have couches on the porches in the suburbs. In fact, we don't even have porches. We have decks. And ten-foot inflatable Brutus Buckeye lawn ornaments.

Ahh yes. Sometimes it is good to be too snooty even to have a mascot. We're happy merely to sport block M flags. On the house, cars, everything.

Ahh yes. Sometimes it is good to be too snooty even to have a mascot. We're happy merely to sport block M flags. On the house, cars, everything.

Hey, Brutus has slimmed down. I remember the days when Brutus resembled a mutant beach ball. Now he merely resembles a very large man with a hugely disproportionate poisonous nut on his head.