revelation -- the mini-series!

Peter T Chattaway

Can anyone here access this Variety story? All I can read at the moment is the opening blurb, which states: "It's the end of the world -- and NBC smells ratings. Net is partnering with scribe David Seltzer ("The Omen") and producer Gavin Polone to develop a six-to-eight hour limited series focusing on the final smackdown between God and Satan as foretold in the Bible's Book of Revelations..."

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"the Bible's Book of Revelations..."

Does the Variety piece really refer to the book of "Revelations"? Last time I checked, the book was "Revelation," but I've heard so many people call it "Revelations" that I'm starting to believe I'm wrong.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I would love to see an animated Revelation that would just take what exists in the book, and make it visual. There is so much amazing visual imagery in that book.
I'd also prefer a animated version. Although I'd like to see the images, there are also ways that the images are really hard to make visual (e.g., the elders seated on thrones, who are constantly falling down to worship - do you set up a loop? When do they ever get to sit on the thrones? Or a sward coming from someone) And what do you do with heaven being silent for about half an hour (Oh, I know - intermission).

Some years ago I led a class on Revelation at church. One of the suggested activities was often to have people draw some of the pictures. It was often a challenge. I really think the real visual imagry is our mental images.

But it would be great to see someone do it, and it would be great to have it just as it is, without anyone trying to set it in contemporary world events or even in a 21st century setting. Maybe a job for the visual bible project and Pixar.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Animation would be interesting, BUT the mind reels at the possiblities for screwing it up on this project. I mean no personal offense for the following: scan through various posts here tangential to Eschatology and read some of the comments and rants. After all the squawk over "The Reagans" right and left, the commentary over this particular project will make for interesting reading in the entertainment press.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Christian wrote:

: Does the Variety piece really refer to the book of "Revelations"?

Yup.

: Last time I checked, the book was "Revelation," but I've heard so many

: people call it "Revelations" that I'm starting to believe I'm wrong.

No, you're right. There's even a scene in Tribulation in which the Margot Kidder character takes someone to task for mistakenly pluralizing the title like that.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Interestingly enough I'm doing an Eschatology Muodule at the moment which uses the analogy of sending a video camera back and forward in time to show how we shouldn't take the images literally.

Has anyone seen the film Revelation? They have it at our blockbuster but it just looks to horrific to even bother with.

One further thought. the 1966 film The Bible took a completely literal approach to the opening chapters in Genesis, but the result was that somehow it totally undermined literal reading of it. Prior to watching it I was largely in the non-literal camp anyway, but still had a few doubts and occasional "I mean maybe it did happen in 168 hours", but I just remember at the end thinking that any lingering doubts I had on the issue were now well and gone, and the literary nature of the texts were more ingrained.

I wonder if the project could be done in such a way that would undermine the Eschatological baloney that seems to be so prevalent at the moment, and bring us to a truer reading of the text?

Matt

MattPage wrote:

: Has anyone seen the film Revelation? They have it at our blockbuster but

: it just looks to horrific to even bother with.

You mean this one?

PTC (somewhat unbelievably) wrote:

: But Revelation is a remarkably assured piece of filmmaking in its own right.

What really? Other than that the rest of the review reads a bit like you'd really slate it if you got the chance :wink: , but this makes it sound like it might be worthy of a second star...

Either way I thought the first line of the final para

"That sort of eschatology must sound more than a little peculiar to Christians around the world for whom persecution has long been a daily reality"

...summed up for me what I find so distatsteful about so much dispensational pre-millenialism, particularly its "artistic" outworkings.

Matt

MattPage wrote:

: : But Revelation is a remarkably assured piece of filmmaking in its own right.

:

: What really?

Um, well, one must see these things in context, mustn't one. smile.gif

I mean, it's no good saying you hate the genre and therefore you hate all films made WITHIN the genre. You have to appreciate the film WITHIN its genre, and I do think this film was better than most, on some levels. Mainly because of Jeff Fahey's performance, as I recall.

Anyway, here, at last, is the complete Variety story:

- - -

Apocalypse wow

God vs. Satan in NBC's end-of-the-world skein

By JOSEF ADALIAN

It's the end of the world -- and NBC smells ratings.

Peacock is partnering with scribe David Seltzer ("The Omen") and producer Gavin Polone to develop a six-to-eight hour limited series focusing on the final smackdown between God and Satan as foretold in the Bible's Book of Revelations. Just as intriguing as the storyline: Assuming the project gets a final greenlight, NBC hopes to roll out the series right after its broadcast of the Athens Olympics ends in late August, airing an hour a week as an event designed to create momentum for the fall season.

What's more, NBC development prexy Kevin Reilly said the net is thinking of launching other event-style limited series throughout the year, though none are in active development yet.

"Events in network TV have always meant movies and sometimes miniseries," he said. "I'd like to have event series -- something that is demanding of your time, but in a shorter episode arc, and something that may or may not return."

Reilly said he believes Seltzer, who will also exec produce the series, can "masterfully weave theology and reality into a truly frightening epic tale which we would hope to platform into a very big event."

Set just before the start of Armageddon, the series will follow two central characters -- a physicist and a nun-- who are racing against the clock to see if the end of the world apocalypse can be averted. It's possible the skein could include an Antichrist character, insiders said.

"What the Book of Revelation predicted is at hand," Seltzer said. "Nuclear brinkmanship, worldwide terrorism, collapsing economies and environmental atrocities make it clear that the critical mass of injury to this planet is sufficient to bring down the wrath of God and put the biblical prophecies into play. What is not written in the Bible is whether man can do anything about it. This is where our story begins."

Polone has lofty ambitions for the still untitled project, which will be overseen by Pariah TV execs Vivian Cannon and Jessika Borsiczky.

"If we achieve our goal of creating a series which is not only an original but also a respectful look at the events foretold in the Bible, we will have a larger potential audience than any show on television," he said. "I have total confidence that David Seltzer can realize our objective."

Indeed, while the Seltzer skein will have the feel of a mystery-thriller, there's a large untapped audience for religious and spiritual themes that network TV has largely ignored. Exceptions include "Joan of Arcadia" on CBS and the WB's "7th Heaven."

Peacock has made a premium six-figure script commitment to the project, with UTA-repped Seltzer writing the first two hours and a bible for the skein. NBC insiders said the project will be self-contained and offer a resolution, but like the scribe's "The Omen," there will be a hint of more things to come. That will offer the net the chance to bring it back as another limited series or even as a weekly skein.

ABC is readying its own attempt at a limited series with next winter's "Kingdom Hospital" from Stephen King. Alphabet is producing 13 episodes with the option for more next season.

NBC also unintentionally programmed a limited skein last season, airing "Kingpin" over three weeks.

The wires have picked up on this story -- and on the incorrect spelling of the name of the last book of the Bible:

----------------------

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - You'll never believe what those crazy TV marketing gurus will get up to next: Executives at NBC think the end of the world may be an ideal promotional platform for next year's fall season.

Hey, there may be nothing like an apocalypse to boost ratings.

The network has hired "The Omen" screenwriter David Seltzer to develop the script for a mini-series about a physicist and a nun racing to avert the apocalyptic final showdown between God and Satan as foretold in the Book of Revelations, NBC said on Wednesday.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker