Sign in to follow this  

Sarah Connor Chronicles

So ... when will this series be set?

Post-1995, as per the timeline of Terminator 2: Judgment Day? Pre-1994, as per the timeline of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (and assuming it will take place BEFORE she is diagnosed with leukemia)?

And who will the bad guys be, if there are no robots? (I mean, there was no indication anywhere in Terminator 3 that John Connor had seen ANY robots since the events of Terminator 2.)

Jeff   

Supposedly a Terminator 4 is in the works, slated for a 2008 release. I wonder if this show will be connected with that project somehow. At any rate, the publicity from the show will no doubt carry over to the movie if the movie indeed happens.

I don't see how they could do a Terminator 4, now. The whole premise of the series was that the nuclear apocalypse was going to come at some point in the future, but we could decide the outcome -- or try to prevent the nuclear apocalypse from happening altogether -- in the here and now. Well, Terminator 3 ended with the nuclear apocalypse beginning (and no later than July 2004, based on the date that Arnold's internal chronometer counts down to). From this point on, we are no longer in the "here and now" -- we are now in the "future".

I guess they could still do the time-travel thing, and have people from the far-off future constantly sending robots into the not-quite-so-far-off future, until eventually we get a film in which a robot is sent back to yesterday. And maybe the robots would evolve to the point where the bad guys are sending beings of pure electrical energy -- virtual ghosts -- into the past (but wrapped up in naked organic matter, of course, otherwise they would never make it through the time machine). But that would be just silly.

And like I say, no robots seem to have arrived in the "here and now" between the events of T2 and T3, so any TV show that takes place during that time period would have to be a show without Terminators -- and really, what would be the point? The alternative would be that the producers ignore T3 altogether, in which case I really don't see how the show could be tied into anything resembling a Terminator 4.

Alan Thomas wrote:

: Don't forget Sara would be wanted by the authorities. This could ending up being like the Hulk TV

: show, where the protag is chased around by cops.

Well, yeah, but without robots upstaging the cops every now and then, what would be the point?

I am reminded of the rumoured Lois Lane spin-off movie. Why would anyone want to see a movie in which there was a Lois Lane but no Superman?

Alan Thomas wrote:

: Don't forget Sara would be wanted by the authorities. This could ending up being like the Hulk TV

: show, where the protag is chased around by cops.

Well, yeah, but without robots upstaging the cops every now and then, what would be the point?

I am reminded of the rumoured Lois Lane spin-off movie. Why would anyone want to see a movie in which there was a Lois Lane but no Superman?

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd pay to see a show about a lovely 30-something woman who wanders mournfully from town to town helping to change the lives of strangers that she meets, while occasionally getting angry and changing into Lou Ferrigno. Now THAT's good TV!

IGN.com reports that Summer Glau -- of Firefly and Serenity fame -- is in the cast. But as what? Since she's done the nude-first-appearance-followed-by-the-revelation-that-she's-a-killing-machine thing before, obviously some people expect or want her to be a Terminator. But would that be too obvious?

Headey Reveals Connor Chronicles

Lena Headey, who stars in the the Fox SF drama pilot The Sarah Connor Chronicles, told SCI FI Wire that the show will begin with a confrontation between Headey's title character; her son, John Connor (Heroes' Thomas Dekker); and two new Terminators: a female model, played by Serenity's Summer Glau, and a male one, which she called Cromartie, played by Owain Yeoman. One is good and one is bad; she didn't say which is which. (Glau's character is named Cameron, an apparent nod to Terminator franchise creator James Cameron.)

SciFi.com, March 4

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

FWIW, my thoughts on the pilot, which I BitTorrented a couple weeks ago but didn't get around to watching until last night. I focus mainly on the continuity issues, and here are the key points:

-- This series is completely ignoring Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

-- The back-story is more or less consistent with the first two movies, with a few key dates moved up or down. In the first two movies, John Connor is conceived in 1984, born in 1985, and he destroys Cyberdyne with his mother and a "good" Terminator in 1995 -- only two years before Skynet WOULD have nuked the world in 1997. Whereas as far as the pilot seems to be concerned, John was born in 1984 (rather than 1985) and the events of the second movie took place in 1997 when John was 13 (rather than in 1995 when John was 10).

-- The pilot itself takes place in 1999, when John is 15; the events of the second film are referred to several times as having taken place "two years ago".

-- The "good" Terminator in this pilot says she came back from 2027. But in all of the movies, the Terminators were sent back from 2029 or later. (If memory serves, John Connor won the war against the machines in 2029, discovered that they had a time machine and had sent a Terminator or two back in time, and then sent a couple of his own agents back in time to protect his mother and his younger self from those same assassins. The third movie -- which this series is ignoring -- went on to assert that John's victory was short-lived, and that he was assassinated by another Terminator in 2032, which his wife then reprogrammed and sent back to 2003.) So did the grown-up John Connor have access to a time machine BEFORE his victory? And why does the "good" Terminator in this pilot have a more advanced personality than the Terminators that we saw in the films, which were sent back in time from some later point in time? (The easiest way to explain this would be to simply say that the future has changed since the events of T2 -- indeed, BECAUSE of the events of T2. But if the future is no longer what it used to be, then why would the life or death of John Connor matter any more?)

One thing I don't mention at my blog is the date when "Judgment Day" is now supposed to have taken place. Just like T3, this series suggests that the events of T2 DELAYED the rise of the machines but did not PREVENT them entirely -- and the "good" Terminator tells us that the new "Judgment Day" took place

in April 2011, which, conveniently, would be around the end of the show's fourth season, should it last that long

. Even better, no one knows exactly WHO is responsible for the rise of Skynet, now that Cyberdyne is out of the picture -- so the pilot puts a mystery into play that the characters will presumably try to solve over the course of the series.

And that's about all I can say without getting into some serious spoilers.

The embedded video clip wrote:

: THE VIDEO YOU ARE TRYING TO WATCH CANNOT BE VIEWED FROM YOUR CURRENT COUNTRY OR LOCATION.

This sort of thing is seriously beginning to piss me off.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I guess if it's worth annoying all the other non-Americans to you, too (and possibly Alaskans and Hawaiians, too?) ...

In other news:

- - -

4 for 4: Actors called for fall series

Garret Dillahunt has joined Fox's drama "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," . . .

On "Sarah Connor," an offshoot from the "Terminator" franchise, Dillahunt will play a mysterious character named Cromartie.

Dillahunt, who is finishing a four-episode arc on FX's "Damages," will next be seen on the big screen in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "No Country for Old Men." . . .

Hollywood Reporter, September 24

My TiVo clipped probably the last minute of the episode, but I liked what I saw. Tense, scary, and no moments screamed "low budget!" to me. Summer Glau was VERY effective as the she-Terminator, and the guy Terminators (well, at least the last one) were cool, too. Lena Hedley was awesome as Sarah Connor, and Thomas Dekker plays a whiner-baby cry-boy John Connor. THIS is the leader of the future? I guess necessity IS a mother.

But the show was great. I liked it a lot.

Really? If so, they cast someone who looked a lot like Morton.

In the original Terminator movie, didn't Reese say that the resistance didn't really understand the time travel machine that they found? If so, how could they send someone back to build one?

Is it possible that Cameron is NOT a classic Terminator? I don't remember her ever agreeing to that designation.

Is it possible that Cameron is NOT a classic Terminator? I don't remember her ever agreeing to that designation.

She's neo-classical, I think. ;)

I missed this, and regret it; having seen some of the TV trailers, my fears of it being low-budget and cheesy were washed away. Maybe they'll show the first episode again some time?

I kept waiting for her to say classic Terminator lines (like "your clothes - give them to me."), but the lines she said were echoes of the lines of humans in the Terminator series ("come with me if you want to live" was said by Kyle Reese, no? And her explanation of what would make it through the time machine was, if not word-for-word, quite parallel to Reese's dialogue).

Also, her cryptic line that "in the future, [John has] a lot of friends," said with a yearning look in her eyes. Is she a human brain in a Terminator chassis?

She's neo-classical, I think. ;)

:) She's got kind of a Greco-Roman look to her, facially.

The show lost me when the bad terminator had Sarah in his clutches and let her live. Of course she will escape now and off we go. I guess this brand of terminator can only duplicate voice. it can't shape shift like in the movies, eh? He really needed her to snooker John Conner? I'm not sure I can give the show much of a chance.

MrZoom   
I kept waiting for her to say classic Terminator lines (like "your clothes - give them to me."), but the lines she said were echoes of the lines of humans in the Terminator series ("come with me if you want to live" was said by Kyle Reese, no? And her explanation of what would make it through the time machine was, if not word-for-word, quite parallel to Reese's dialogue).

I don't remember if Reese said that line in T1, but I definitely remember Ahnold's "good" terminator saying "Come with me if you want to live" in T2.