Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Season 1: Kept me on the edge of my seat.

Season 2: Ok until the writers went overboard with torture scenes.

Season 3: I was having trouble getting into it until...

...the last few minutes of last night's episode! Did anybody see it?

Any fans of the show here? Detractors?

Diane

I persevered through season 2. (Let's see, he found an atomic bomb, flew off with it into the dessert, parachuted out of the plane, got back to LA, kept hunting the terrorist, died being tortured, resusitated and kept going inspite of chest pains, and saved the world and the presidency -- and I'm leaving out most of it.) It was a little too much. I took a pass on it for this year.

I felt like passing on this season, too, and have only been halfheartedly watching. You're right about last year. It was way overboard (again, the torturing thing

Actually, no, I haven't been watching. But I still glean what I can from the nutshell reviews at www.televisionwithoutpity.com (snarky, to be sure, but the mini-reviews keep me informed). Plus, a couple of my co-workers are hooked, so I can always ask them.

Are you referring to a certain evil someone who may have finally met her demise?

Actually, no, I haven't been watching. But I still glean what I can from the nutshell reviews at www.televisionwithoutpity.com (snarky, to be sure, but the mini-reviews keep me informed). Plus, a couple of my co-workers are hooked, so I can always ask them.

Are you referring to a certain evil someone who may have finally met her demise?

Absolutely. It was pretty revenge-filled too. (Spoiler material of sorts:) Nina tries to shut down CTU from the same room that she shot Teri Bauer. Kim finds her and pulls a gun, but just as Nina is about to shoot her, Jack appears and shoots Nina. He then tells Kim to find Tony, and while they are left alone, Jack asks Nina if she knows anything else. Nina says yes, Jack says "I don't believe you", then fires three times into her. Wasn't one of the better endings, as it was too blood-thirsty to be considered an act of vengance. Ah well. Onto Act III!

I'm sure the writers figured people wanted to see Jack get his long-awaited revenge on Nina. I'm still stunned by the ending of the first season. I remember sitting there thinking, "What just happened? What did I just see? Nooooo!" Still, the gunning down might be more realistic, but it makes me uncomfortable.

I'm surprised they could pass up the opportunity of having her hold Kim hostage for a while. I mean, everybody else has, so why not Nina? :wink:

What's Kief gonna do now without his arch enemy?

I'm sure the writers figured people wanted to see Jack get his long-awaited revenge on Nina. I'm still stunned by the ending of the first season. I remember sitting there thinking, \"What just happened? What did I just see? Nooooo!\" Still, the gunning down might be more realistic, but it makes me uncomfortable.  

I'm surprised they could pass up the opportunity of having her hold Kim hostage for a while. I mean, everybody else has, so why not Nina?  :wink:

What's Kief gonna do now without his arch enemy?

I hear one person say that Kim should have killed Nina. It would have redeemed all of the stupid actions she's had in the last two seasons. (Bear trap and cougars, anyone?)

While I'm thinking about it...

http://www.worldmag.com/world/issue/02-14-.../cultural_2.asp

Fox's big, fat Greek drama? 24 is real-time TV

By Gene Edward Veith  

For the Greeks and Romans, drama had to follow rules. Violence could not be shown onstage. Characters must be treated with proper decorum. And, most importantly, the \"unities\" had to be observed: the unity of action (only one plot); the unity of place (only one setting); and the unity of time (a two-hour play should show two hours in the characters' lives, or, at the very most, one day of 24 hours

I hear one person say that Kim should have killed Nina.  It would have redeemed all of the stupid actions she's had in the last two seasons.  (Bear trap and cougars, anyone?)

HA! No kidding. The lamest moment ever

Surprise - the show is back to Season 1 standards. I have no clue who is going to last till the next episode - even among the major players.

Okay, Clint, I watched last night. To me, it seemed more intense than usual, even by 24 standards. Or maybe it was just more depressing than usual. Um, so is Chappelle...you know? It certainly looked like it. And I'm wondering how long it will be before Michelle's nose starts to bleed. Ugh. Those scenes made me get all girly squirmy.

Regarding the preview for this week's episode: I just knew they wouldn't be content to let Kim sit in the office all season!

Edited by Diane

Okay, Clint, I watched last night. To me, it seemed more intense than usual, even by 24 standards. Or maybe it was just more depressing than usual. Um, so is Chappelle...you know? It certainly looked like it. And I'm wondering how long it will be before Michelle's nose starts to bleed. Ugh. Those scenes made me get all girly squirmy.

Regarding the preview for this week's episode: I just knew they wouldn't be content to let Kim sit in the office all season!

spoilers1.gif - if you didn't see Tuesday's episode...

Yep. Barring some major miracle, Mr. Chapelle is dead. Kim didn't do too bad in her field op debut, but that whole scene between her and Jack was not written or acted very well.

Should be interesting to see what Jack extracts out of Saunder's daughter.

I'm new to the board, and just caught this thread. Anyone follow the whole season? It got really great and intense with the "virus in the hotel" storyline, but then trailed off again. They took the easy way out too many times this season ... Tony is shot in the head, but survives and is back to work hours later. Michelle is exposed to the virus, but miraculously is one of the tiny minority of people immune to it.

Killing off Nina, Sherry and Ryan Chappelle wasn't exactly shocking. I.e., the killings didn't have long-term consequences the way the first-season murder of Teri and the treachery of Nina did. All in all, a very disappointing season.

Next season they ought to put Jack Bauer in some exotic hot spot (Eastern Europe? Middle East?) and bring in a whole new cast of supporting characters. The folks at CTU and President Palmer's crew are going to get awfully boring if the writers don't take some real risks.

Welcome to the boards, Mark.

I caught the last episode and bits and pieces of others episodes toward the end of the season. To me, nothing will ever compare to season one. It will be interesting to see what they do next season. I mean, how many times can Jack avert disaster (stupid question, I know, since he is the star)? They cheated their way out of season two's finale cliffhanger by having the story pick up several years later with Palmer being healed from his brush with biological warfare. I agree; they need a big change for season four. Maybe it will also pick up years later in another locale.

But will Palmer and his crew even be back next season? Didn't this one end with Palmer realizing he'll probably be a one-term president? Maybe he'll return in some other occupation.

I am glad they decided not to end with yet another cliffhanger. After all he's been through, I guess it's about time Jack sat down by himself and had a good cry, however brief.

Yeah, it seems appropriate that Jack would end the season with a cry ... now if only those pests at CTU would let him get some sleep!

I read a gossip column on Fox's website that aside from Kiefer Sutherland, many of the cast members won't be back next year. Not sure if that's just Fox's attempt to stir up interest or if it's true, but they'd be wise to go that route.

I'd like to see Palmer come back as a quasi-bad guy ... not fully bad, but developing some of the darker tendencies Jack Bauer's character has. Maybe Palmer could become a covert agent trying to stir up trouble in a rogue nation?

Or even better, since Jack comes back each season with a bit more of his soul chipped away, perhaps HE becomes season 4's arch villain and David Palmer is the hero?

Yeah, it seems appropriate that Jack would end the season with a cry ... now if only those pests at CTU would let him get some sleep!

I read a gossip column on Fox's website that aside from Kiefer Sutherland, many of the cast members won't be back next year. Not sure if that's just Fox's attempt to stir up interest or if it's true, but they'd be wise to go that route.

I'd like to see Palmer come back as a quasi-bad guy ... not fully bad, but developing some of the darker tendencies Jack Bauer's character has. Maybe Palmer could become a covert agent trying to stir up trouble in a rogue nation?

Or even better, since Jack comes back each season with a bit more of his soul chipped away, perhaps HE becomes season 4's arch villain and David Palmer is the hero?

No, that's true. Most of the "featured players" from this season are not coming back in such roles. They might have a Sherry Palmer type appearance (show up for a few episodes) next season.

AFAIK, Jack and Palmer might be the only two feature players. Elisha Cuthbert has said that she doesn't know if Kim will be involved in next season at all.

Thanks for the info, Clint. It's interesting that Elisha Cuthbert was always the whipping girl for 24 detractors, but this season I thought she was one of the least annoying characters. I think the "Sherry Palmer" approach for the other regulars is a good way to go.

Any word on whether they will ever bring back Kate Warner from Season 2? I liked her quite a bit, and thought they could work her character in again since her family is connected to the CIA (and her sister is presumably still in prison for being a terrorist).

Yeah, I guess the idea is to present next season seamlessly, with no five-week breaks like they did this year. If waiting until January means we get a more coherent season next year, I'm all for it. cool.gif

Shohreh Aghdashloo?!? Wow, that seems like a coup. I hope her character develops into more than a red herring or a side plot.

FWIW, has anyone seen this comic book prequel:

http://comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=3534

In case anyone's still interested, critics are raving about the new season of 24. Both USA Today and the NY Times huh.gif are saying the overhaul is a big improvement over last season's snoozer plotline. NYT's Alessandra Stanley even calls it "one of the best shows on television".

Here's a link to USA Today's preview: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...know-jack_x.htm

I'm planning on watching again, even though last year was a disappointment.

I was impressed with last night's premeire. There was a good amount of tension, and it will be interesting to see where the story goes from here. I like the fact that they're opening with two two-hour shows on consecutive nights. It draws the viewer into the heart of the story more quickly.

Although after the controversy of Abu Graihb, I found it a little uncomfortable to watch Jack's interrogation technique.

I hope there is more to Shohreh Aghdashloo's character to be unveiled through the season. It would be disappointing to see her just as a stereotypical terrorist's wife.

I hope there is more to Shohreh Aghdashloo's character to be unveiled through the season.  It would be disappointing to see her just as a stereotypical terrorist's wife.

I found it interesting that they hired Jonathan Ahdout, who played her son in House of Sand and Fog, to play.... her son this season.

This is a much better plot than Season 3, and it's interesting to see a re-boot of sorts with the series. The first episode borrowed from the Season 2 start (Jack quits CTU, an issue arises where he is involved, shoots a suspect while he's not allowed to, etc.) but the nice twist at the end of the 8:00AM-9:00AM

with the Sec. of Defense being shown in a manner similar to some of the recent real-life terrorist videos

is a real draw for me.

"Spare me your sixth-grade Michael Moore logic." Funniest line all night. (Next to the obligatory "THERE'S NO TIME!" or "WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!" lines that showed up in the first hour.)

I hope there is more to Shohreh Aghdashloo's character to be unveiled through the season.  It would be disappointing to see her just as a stereotypical terrorist's wife.

She indicated in an interview that there's more to her character than meets the eye. I think she might be this season's new Lady Macbeth, with the demise of Sherry Palmer last season.

This is a much better plot than Season 3, and it's interesting to see a re-boot of sorts with the series.  The first episode borrowed from the Season 2 start (Jack quits CTU, an issue arises where he is involved, shoots a suspect while he's not allowed to, etc.) but the nice twist at the end of the 8:00AM-9:00AM

with the Sec. of Defense being shown in a manner similar to some of the recent real-life terrorist videos

is a real draw for me. 

"Spare me your sixth-grade Michael Moore logic."  Funniest line all night. (Next to the obligatory "THERE'S NO TIME!" or "WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!" lines that showed up in the first hour.)

I was trying to remember how last season even started, and the only part that was slightly compelling was the slacker kid who supposedly carried the virus. Otherwise, I never really got into it until the mid-season hotel storyline - whereas the first two hours of season 4 had me hooked and caring about the characters' fates already.

It's obvious, though, that they're recycling certain plot elements - e.g., said slacker kid from last season is recycled in the person of this season's computer hacker played by Lukas Haas. And as much as I hate nitpicking the plot holes, how unrealistic was it that he would have been at work at 7 a.m.? wink.gif

Overall I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. It was a great call to get rid of most of the cast and start over. I love William Devane as the secretary of defense.

It's obvious, though, that they're recycling certain plot elements - e.g., said slacker kid from last season is recycled in the person of this season's computer hacker played by Lukas Haas. And as much as I hate nitpicking the plot holes, how unrealistic was it that he would have been at work at 7 a.m.?