Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Wow...

This new season is vintage 24 (thus far, mind you). I love the new structure, the lack of CTU, the involvement of the FBI. I love the Senate hearings and the new president and cabinet, unencumbered by weak holdover characters from prior seasons (ala Lil' Wayne).

For once, I hope that they keep some of these characters for season eight. I want to see President Taylor stay in office. I want to see the new techie girl propped up as a sort of anti-Chloe. I want to see Jack dating Renee Walker; she's a very talented and beautiful lady.

(Maybe they can have Jack Jr! In the year 2035, maybe the Son of Jack will rise to power and fight off the terminator invasion or something.)

The plot is tightly written, suspenseful, and devoid of Weapons of Mass Destruction, which is a nice change. To me, the tying in of the 24: Redemption plot into this season has had great effect. All the subplots tie together, but not in a contrived way. I am falling in love all over again! :)

Agreed on all points, Jeff.

I'd been leaning towards seeing Boss-FBI guy as the leak, now I'm not so sure. The leaker had to know that telling the baddies that Renee had no other information out of the hospital-guy would endanger her life, and I don't think boss-FBI guy would do that.

Of course, this could just be clever misdirection on the part of the writers. I'm certainly not ready to discard the Agent Moss-as-leak theory yet.

Here is a bold prediction: When Jack, Bill, Chloe, Renee, et al. finally crack the conspiracy, they will discover that Kurtwood Smith's senator character is at or near the bottom of it.

I rewatched "24: Redemption" a couple of days ago. I am having a hard time believing that Col. Dubaku apparently suffered no ill effects from the land mine explosion.

Here is a bold prediction: When Jack, Bill, Chloe, Renee, et al. finally crack the conspiracy, they will discover that Kurtwood Smith's senator character is at or near the bottom of it.

That IS a bold prediction. It would be cool if they get to the end, capture the big badguy, pull off his mask, and find out that underneath, he's really been Kurtwood Smith's character all along. And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Morris? Who's Morris?

Oh! Morris, Chloe's husband.

No Morris last night!

But way to go, Janis! I liked that they at least tried to make us feel for the plant manager by giving him an aspect of a personality ("Honey"). It was a valiant effort. But his little story gave Janis something to do, and gave us a glimpse into her personality.

I'm falling in TV-love with Agent Walker...

Jack is bringing everyone back onto the side of the angels. Well, except for Tony. Who did some bad things, Jack.

With the CIP device destroyed, and Dr. Phlox blowed up, I guess that major threat is out of circulation. It seems a bit abrupt, though every season has a shift in threat about midway through. I'm glad that Dubaku remains the major threat, though - because it's hard to imagine that there's a hidden "boss" behind him, as in previous seasons. There is still the US government corruption and connection to the Sangala dictators to deal with, and I guess now the First Gentleman's kidnapping. And the FBI leak. But these are relatively small peanuts for 24; you have to believe that there will be yet another major threat to tens of thousands of American lives, coming around the bend. No?

Dubaku to Secret Service agent: "Bring him to me." And he hangs up the phone. Um. Hasn't your old hideout been destroyed? How is SS agent guy supposed to know where to bring him? I didn't hear any "I'm on my way to location B" dialogue there, and I think we heard the whole conversation, from both sides. Oh, well.

I'm glad that Dubaku remains the major threat, though - because it's hard to imagine that there's a hidden "boss" behind him, as in previous seasons.

But there are at least two such bosses we already know about, from Redemption: General Juma and Hodges, the Jon Voight character. Juma and Dubaku would need some inside help to corrupt the Secret Service. Tim Woods, the buzz-cut lead agent who's often in the room with President Taylor and Ethan Kanin, is looking more suspicious as time goes on.

I am reserving judgment on whether Tony ends up clean or dirty, which is why I didn't mention him in my previous post. This past episode only strengthens my hand. But here's another prediction: Tony dies at some point on Day 7, this time for real.

Dubaku to Secret Service agent: "Bring him to me." And he hangs up the phone. Um. Hasn't your old hideout been destroyed? How is SS agent guy supposed to know where to bring him? I didn't hear any "I'm on my way to location B" dialogue there, and I think we heard the whole conversation, from both sides. Oh, well.

Actually, smart criminals who work with multiple confederates may segregate the information they give those confederates according to what part(s) of the plan they're supposed to execute. It reduces risk: if a confederate gets caught, there's less chance that he'll blow the entire operation. John Wilkes Booth managed his conspirators in the Lincoln assassination in exactly this manner. No one but Booth knew the whole plan.

Edited by mrmando

Tonight's episode was awesome. But why is it a moral conundrum to threaten to harm the wife and baby, knowing full well you don't ever intend to do it?

Tonight's episode was awesome. But why is it a moral conundrum to threaten to harm the wife and baby, knowing full well you don't ever intend to do it?

That's the question I was asking years ago when torture was the hot scandal of the time. This is only my second season, so I'm not as fully briefed on 24's ways of doing. From the beginning though, head FBI guy and his little band of siblings have been something of a stalking horse for the do-everything-above-board-and- squeaky-clean crowd. Nice confrontation across from the Capital by Jack. "Not today."

I thought it was great seeing Chloe dissing Larry on his network configuration - SNAP!

And a geek showdown between Chloe and Janeane Garofalo over a satellite tracking mobile line, that's priceless! :computer002::watchonpc:

Yay, Aaron! He's THE MAN.

Agent Walker's unraveling. I still TV-love her, but she's unraveling.

And what's up with henchman's suggestion at the end that Dubaku outsource his smackdown of his woman? You don't get to be the butcher of Sangala by having someone else do your chop-work!

And now, we know who the mole is. For a while, I thought they were playing up the mole's negative characteristics to make us think he was a red herring. But no, he's just really a traitorous rat. Ah, well.

Oh - and my prediction for next episode, based on absolutely 0 spoiler evidence:

Jack Bauer and Agent Walker will kiss next episode, right after the slap she gives him, that they showed in the preview. "I need to know you feel the same pain that I do!" (slap!) Jack grabs her hand, and says something like: "I do feel pain, every day. I need someone like you to help keep my soul from sliding into darkness." And then they kiss.

I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

Bah! No kiss. But an awesome episode, and a great scene in the slap-happy hospital.

I am so glad Chloe takes precautions when she uploads sensitive data. I sat there thinking, wouldn't Chloe be smart enough, given the fact that this thing erases itself, to automatically make two copies, one off-site? Heck - *I* would do that, and I'm not Chloe-smart.

2 hours next week...

I am so glad Chloe takes precautions when she uploads sensitive data.

She learned from Season 5, when the goon from Homeland Security erased the digital recording of President Logan!

The target of Burnett's planned attack is quite obviously

the White House

Loose thread alert: the thumb drive that Samantha gave Henry Taylor. Agent Gedge took it from Taylor, but then Taylor killed him. So what became of the drive? Is it still on Gedge's body? Will whoever processes the scene find it and realize its importance?

Edited by mrmando

Bah! No kiss. But an awesome episode...

Really? I found this to be the most disappointing episode of the season. Too many things I just couldn't get over. Jack doesn't trust ANYBODY but he takes the single piece of crucial evidence that can unlock this massive government conspiracy and gives it to a random cop on the street that he's never met before? And the self-deleting data was incredibly convenient. Until it didn't matter at all. It felt awkward to me how the episode basically felt like the ending to a mini-season, where every single threat was dodged, until suddenly there's a totally new threat that comes seemingly out of the blue to kick-start part 2 of the season. I know the threats in 24 seasons have always evolved over the course of the season, but this felt like the most clear "that's over now, guess we need a new threat" that we've had. I don't know, it just didn't work for me at all. Here's hoping Part 2 of the season starts strong enough next week to make me forget my frustration.

It felt awkward to me how the episode basically felt like the ending to a mini-season, where every single threat was dodged, until suddenly there's a totally new threat that comes seemingly out of the blue to kick-start part 2 of the season. I know the threats in 24 seasons have always evolved over the course of the season, but this felt like the most clear "that's over now, guess we need a new threat" that we've had.

If I remember correctly, from some article I read, they filmed the first eight or so episodes of this season before the writer's strike hit. That would explain how they came to some kind of conclusion here, and picked back up after the strike was over. Or else the writers took that concept as far as it would go, and realize they have 16 more hours to fill.

But, I thought season 7.0 was terrific. I'm hoping season 7.5 starting next week is just as good.

It's a bit more complex than that, unfortunately. They did film the first few episodes (I don't know how many) before the writer's strike, but when the strike hit, they sat back and looked at the episodes, and concluded that they stank, so they ashcanned them all, and started from scratch when the strike was over.

The original episodes were set outside the US, I believe.

But, I thought season 7.0 was terrific. I'm hoping season 7.5 starting next week is just as good.

After last night's episodes, this is looking unlikely.

It looks this season has turned into

Dog Day Afternoon in the White House.

. And next week, we get

explosions!

It's obvious that 24 has become committed to being carbon-neutral.

White House security

has become so carbon-neutral it has become non-existent.

Yeah this one strained credibility way, way too much. Especially that some podunk African dictator leads his own special forces assualt on the white house through the sewer and his weaponry and electronics still work? Looks like the Navy SEALS could use some pointers from this guy.

And Aaron Pierce is too wounded to send the message himself, and so has to write it on the President's daughter's hand, wasting time, but a minute later, walks under his own steam to where the hostages are being held?

BUT

the episode still kicked butt. I loved it. Agent Walker bustin' heads! Even Larry Moss saving the day. I actually cheered for the guy. I'm going soft...

Yeah, this was the second "oh, come on" episode in a row for me. Forget for a minute the absurdity of a group of 12 african commandoes storming the white house from the sewer in the first place (hey, at least they had to bust through a thin brick wall, right?), forget the absurdity of a white house that apparently has no security cameras, or a secret service that just leaves the building when asked to, or a lock down room that's in a part of the white house where "not much ever happens". What really gets me is that they built this crazy secure white house lockdown room and somebody forgot to include a way for them to communicate with the outside world once they're inside?

And this season started with such promise...

Edited by popechild

RIP

Bill Buchanan

. It's a shame that he got killed off. At least Aaron made it through in one piece.

It looks like they'll need a stimulus package to put the White House back together. As well as to block off the sewers and create an anti-mole and anti-frogmen security system.

Now

Jack's on the run again from the government

. It's nice to see things are back to normal.

Edited by Crow

:spoilers: (because I don't feel like messing with tags today).

:( :( :(

I have to say, last week's fatality was monumentally depressing for me. One of my favorite characters, who I had hoped would be a fixture for the rest of the show's running, is gone. I am reminded of what Secretary Heller told Jack at the end of the last season- "Everything you touch ends up dead." Not only love interests, but friends too. :( Still, it's never really Jack's fault that the people around him die- in fact, many times he has been more than willing to die instead (George Mason, anyone?).

Alas. Anyway, for me, the season has seen a reduction in both plausibility and plot construction, but I still dig it. The FBI characters and the new presidential cabinet are still more interesting than Obama Lite and his idiotic cabinet in season six (still wondering why Wayne picked a creepy VP who hated his guts?).

I learned years ago that it is not always the sum of 24's parts that make it awesome, but the gravitas of the parts themselves. The White House's capture by terrorists was far fetched. Yet watching Bauer and friends manuever through such hellishly scary, eerily topical situations is thrilling. It was the same last year and the year before that- the nuclear explosion in Valenica, the vision of a United States crippled by daily terror attacks and under siege from within a la Israel, the use of chemical weapons in a mall. It's terrifying stuff, and while the manner in which it occurs is generally unrealistic, it speaks to me a lot more than fantasy-based espionage stuff like Alias.

So, when 24 stretches realism, one must swallow it down and take it philosophically. It still kicks ass, right? :)