Sign in to follow this  
Diane

The far fetched nature of some of this season still does not contradict the stunning message that I get from this and some police procedural series. Never underestimate the value of maintaining a calm and normal appearing demeanor. You increase the odds of not being noticed. It doesn't work forever, but it works. In my younger, healthier days this helped with Cuban cigars from Canada.

As to Buchanan being the latest buddy of Jack's to buy the farm, it came about as a result of clearheaded tactical thinking on Buchanan's part. He was a consumate inside guy. Neither he or Jack would do well in the other's job at all. It was Buchanan's choice and it was a good one.

And an action-packed wowzer of an episode tonight! Yow! That fight scene at the end was brutal!

But also some good character moments between Jack and

the senator

. I have to say, I was not expecting to see who was at the door.

Unfortunately, the President continues her slide from interesting character to obviously incompetent idiot. Sigh. Next, her daughter will be Vice-President, right?

Morris. Always messing things up. Dude.

And let's get Agent Walker back on the streets, writers!

I have to say, I was not expecting to see who was at the door.

Really? I knew who it was as soon as he knocked ... we already knew he had a

police band radio

, so it only makes sense that he would have used it.

Yeah, well, I suspend disbelief easily...

I don't like the President's beady-eyed, Reese-Witherspoon-as-June-Carter-lookin' daughter. :angry: She seems like a little snitch, and will likely prove to be a major liability to the heroes.

Last night, though, the writers did accomplish something significant: they gave the unlikeable Senator a realistic and (for 24) touching change of heart/understanding moment, prior to

his shocking death.

This is the kind of thing that keeps 24 working on an emotional level. Poignant subplots in the past have included

Paul Raines' unreciprocated love for Audrey, which climaxed with his death, and President Logan's seemingly sincere conversion to Christianity).

I'm glad to see that for all the action that this season has featured, the creator's haven't forgotten that character drama can still be just as powerful as gunfights and assassinations.

A lot of stuff happening this season makes me wonder if it's the last one for Jack Bauer. He seems to be time and again brought face to face with questions of his morality and mortality, and not allowed to come away with satisfactory answers. I wonder.

Great to see Connor Trinneer in tonight's episode (dang, I guess Manny Coto is pulling in all the Trek strings he can find!) as the corrupt-but-sympathetic port authority cop. It's a shame the last we see of him is running away. I expected to see him show up again,

to rescue Tony, only to die in the attempt

. But perhaps Jack's good deed will yet come back to help him?

This episode we got to see Renee Walker use the phone again - now let's free her to go back into action again, guys - please?

And yes, the President's daughter is now officially a

bad guy

. Now, we'll have to see if she's actually

working for Starkwood

. That would complete the circle.

A lot of stuff happening this season makes me wonder if it's the last one for Jack Bauer. He seems to be time and again brought face to face with questions of his morality and mortality, and not allowed to come away with satisfactory answers. I wonder.

Well, apparently he'll be

back for more

, despite getting

a snoutful of WMD

in the latest episode.

Does anyone remember the circumstances under which Agent Pierce found the president's daughter in her debut episode? IIRC, she was in the middle of some kind of business meeting...I wonder if she will indeed be connected to the corporate baddies.

I agree, Crimson- the writers need to get Renee Walker out of the holding cell and back on the road with Jack. I still think that a romance between them is not out of the question. Maybe she'll be his sweetie in season eight.

Last night was great, though there is some nerd minutiae that needs rectifying. If Ethan Kanin really has "known Allison for a long time", "has been with her from the beginning", and all of that other stuff he said as he resigned, then it leaves one wondering about whether the writers knew what they were doing when they decided to make him a major character this season. After all, he was briefly seen in season six as a part of the Palmer/Daniels administration, which means that before he was working for the Republican Taylor, he was working for the Democrat Palmer (party affiliations for the show's fictional presidents have been posted on the official site, and on fan sites, before). If Kanin was really such a life-long friend of Tayler, how did he end up in the administration of the opposing party for a time? Maybe in the world of 24, there is more cross-aisle reaching than in real life.

Not that it matters. :)

Edited by Jeff

Last night was great, though there is some nerd minutiae that needs rectifying. If Ethan Kanin really has "known Allison for a long time", "has been with her from the beginning", and all of that other stuff he said as he resigned, then it leaves one wondering about whether the writers knew what they were doing when they decided to make him a major character this season. After all, he was briefly seen in season six as a part of the Palmer/Daniels administration, which means that before he was working for the Republican Taylor, he was working for the Democrat Palmer (party affiliations for the show's fictional presidents have been posted on the official site, and on fan sites, before). If Kanin was really such a life-long friend of Tayler, how did he end up in the administration of the opposing party for a time? Maybe in the world of 24, there is more cross-aisle reaching than in real life.

I'm rather late to the series. What was his position in the Palmer/Daniels administraion? If he were low level, it might not be implausible, particularly if there was some policy overlap for Palmer and Taylor....

I'm rather late to the series. What was his position in the Palmer/Daniels administraion? If he were low level, it might not be implausible, particularly if there was some policy overlap for Palmer and Taylor....

The only policy overlap in 24 is that these people have enormously large bladders.

They never spell it out explicitly, though he assists Vice President Daniels with coordinating air strikes from a secure location during a national emergency. I don't think he's the Chief-of-Staff, but he seems to be holding some important job.

?? what is that, springisnotlate ???

About last night's episode:

I thought it was exciting! Setting up for what's to come. Renee is out of the interrogation room, and Jack is

infected with a pathogen that has no cure. I guess this may be his last season, eh?

Yay to Aaron Pierce! All that guy has to do is walk through a scene, and I'm happy.

Kiefer signed for an eighth season, so I doubt Jack bites the dust this season ... maybe it will be revealed that he's had K-J syndrome all along, ever since going undercover with cannibals in Papua New Guinea. That would explain some of his behavior.

Remember Michelle turned out to be immune to a bio-weapon in Season Whatever (2 or 3, I forget).

With Tony and the FBI pinned down, it's up to Jack, Renee and Chloe. Wonder if they'll use the old trick of reviewing archived satellite photos to figure out where on the Starkwood compound the helicopter touched down...

Edited by mrmando

Last Monday's episode was decent. I like the fact that Jon Voight is getting more screen time, though again, Renee Walker seems to be sadly relegated to the office ever since mid-March.

What's with Renee's

tears as she finds out about Jack's exposure to the bioweapon? And her pushing for him to try experimental cures? I think a romantic revelation is about to be made...though I wonder...Renee has barely known Jack for a day and she seems quite taken with him. Could there be a far reaching conspiracy here in which Renee is trying to gain Jack's trust for an alterior reason? Perhaps I read too much into things, but you never know.

For the record, me and my brothers have been re-watching season one. It is indeed amazing just how different Jack was back then; he was a caring family man who seemed invested in his domestic life. They have done a good job at evolving the character over the course of what, according to fan sites, has been 13 years of personal hell since "day one".

Renee will either track down Kim Bauer and convince her to

donate stem cells to save Jack's life,

or

Edited by mrmando

I predicted long ago that Tony Almeida might

go bad again,

but I did not foresee that he would

kill Agent Moss.

Being importuned by Renee & Kim is not enough to motivate Jack to submit to the experimental treatment. But he will be motivated by the

death of Agent Moss

and the subsequent realization that he, Jack, is the only person alive who could possibly

stop Tony: "I worked with him for X years. I know how he thinks."

Jack has an enduring death wish, and undertakes what is sure to be a suicide mission in almost every season. Ultimately, though, he always manages to find an even higher cause than dying for his country. This season is no different.

I may go back and look at the first episode to see if Elisha Cuthbert is visible in the gallery during the Senate hearing scenes.

I was saddened by

the evil deed of Tony Almeida, not just because I've always liked Tony but also because the show has again wasted a character (Larry) that had the potential to remain a compelling cast member for the future. If there is indeed going to be an eighth season, I would hope some of the people from season seven would carry over to it.

And FINALLY,

Kim has grown up enough to stop blaming her father for all of the awful things that have transpired in the Bauer family...as if the poor guy asked for his wife to be murdered, for terrorists to attack the U.S., for a starring role in the gritty process of stopping them, etc...

I've heard this from a few friends that still watch it (I think they do it out of some sick desire to see a train wreck, or some dust-coated stabs at loyalty).

I heard Jack electrocuted someone with his feet. Am I right?

I've heard this from a few friends that still watch it (I think they do it out of some sick desire to see a train wreck, or some dust-coated stabs at loyalty).

I heard Jack electrocuted someone with his feet. Am I right?

Yeah, a scene stolen directly from the original Lethal Weapon. They've really gone and turned Jack into Superman this year (at least as far as recuperating from injuries is concerned). Jack has walked away from an exploding helicopter blast. Following this he was tasered, handcuffed to a chair, and beaten by a cop (for which he shows no bruises or cuts once he's had a couple of minutes to clean up at CTU). He's been stabbed in the stomach (accidentally by Renee Walker, who was hit once in the face and has the bruise to show for it over a number of episodes), and then electrocuted by the Russian Mafia. Jack's survivability is a real shark jumping moment this season.

All this, and we are 10 episodes into the season with no clear idea of who the antagonists really are, their motives, and who they represent.

And the subplot with newcomer Dana Walsh is sooooo bad, it actually makes one long for the old days with Kim Bauer.

I'm only sticking with it to see if the smoke ever clears from this train wreck of a season.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Nothing but People Behaving Stupidly so far.

And plot holes. Boy, what plot holes. Jack reaches a suspect -- Farad Hassan -- who wants to turn informant but is dying from a couple of slugs to the abdomen. Jack needs him to identify some conspirators, but has to wait for CTU to upload potential conspirators' files. Does Jack ask Farad to start naming names? No, he keeps waiting for the files, and Farad dies in the meantime. Now we've got another conspirator who locks himself inside a hospital's therapeutic oxygen chamber so he can try to figure out how to rearm his suicide vest. Funny, the chamber is hermetically sealed 1" steel, but somehow he can still get a cell phone signal in there. And it obviously has a ventilation system and a controlled atmosphere, but no one considers pumping any kind of sedative in there to put him under until CTU can drill through the door.

And Jack survives his second bomb blast this season... doesn't even have a moment of hearing loss. I'm now just watching this to see how much more Jack can walk away from. Maybe they are setting it up so that the most mundane of things (perhaps a discarded banana peel) will kill Jack at the end of this season.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Or, all of the pain and damage inflicted on Jack in seasons past will hit him simultaneously, creating a rift in time in New York. (Maybe New York AND L.A.) And Kim Bauer has to stop it. New show idea!

Somewhat better episode last night, methought. Although thus far the terrorists are the ones making most of the smart moves. Almost makes one want to root for them.

I guess the EMP blast might be enough to keep Dana from having to implicate herself in the evidence-locker break-in. "Gee, Stephen Root, I'd love to give you that footage, but it was conveniently wiped out by the electromagnetic pulse. Sorry!" Was kind of looking forward to her being dragged back to jail, but I guess it ain't gonna happen.