Sign in to follow this  
Diane

great stuff from beginning to end last night

Without giving away spoilers (for the next 7 days at least), I'll just speak in general terms. How does this story compare to George Clooney's Syriana or Peter Berg's The Kingdom? (Personally I hated Syriana and was impressed by The Kingdom.) Or more specifically, with Syriana you get the character of Prince Nasir (who was pretty charismatic, and come to think of it, Alexander Siddig was also impressive as Hamri Al-Assad back in 24's Season 6), and while watching The Kingdom you learn to love Colonel Faris al-Ghazi's character.

So now we have Anil Kapoor as Omar Hassan. The reasons Hassan is doing what he is doing, and the reasons his opponents are fighting against him in his own country, keep getting voiced in this show. I'm wondering how deeper they're going to go into commentary on this (along with the Western/Mid-East culture clash), because making a statement about that sort of thing ... well, most shows just don't do that. Even more different than Syriana and most of Hollywood's middle east war stories, with 24 you know Americans are not going to come out in the end as the bad guys. And yet, at the same time, I think they just made a hero out of Hassan.

Bringing back Charles Logan????!?!?!?!?!?

I thought he was DEAD. Didn't Martha KILL him?

Big changes in this episode. I'm torn about the Chloe changes. On the one hand, I have no love for her character, and the way they've set her character up over the entire run of the show seems to make her current position unworkable. On the other hand, her character has done nothing but grimace, scowl, and solve small problems forever. Maybe this will give her a chance to do something worthwhile.

Charles Logan - a sleazy, oily villain if ever there was one. "Don't make me regret this"? You already are, Madame President.

I loved Renee Walker with a TV crush. As soon as she and Jack were in the embrace, I knew she was dead. But I hoped that maybe, given that the show is ending, they might keep her alive to give Jack a shot at happiness as the clock winds down. On the other hand, I believe they will kill Jack off at the end of this season, so maybe this is the right move.

Omar's wife is awesome, and has been since she first appeared on the show. Bringing her on as the President of the country is a strong move.

Funny how the show seems to have picked up some steam in the past few weeks... beginning with the episode I chose to cancel DVRing it. :lol: I guess I can catch up online.

Well, the Bauer character seems to have gone completely off the rails, taking the show along with him...

And still no Aaron Pierce.

How about this: In tomorrow night's 2-hour finale, the Secret Service assigns an extra security detail to protect President Taylor, in the belief that Jack will come after her next. Agent Pierce is summoned to be part of that detail, and it is he who corners Jack and receives the final pieces of incriminating evidence from him.

Come on, writers, it's your last chance.

Totally. The situation-saving action in the last half hour was not performed by Jack Bauer, but as a quiet, internal decision by President Taylor. What?

Jack's role in the last half hour was to... fail to escape? And get pistol-whipped by a reluctant flunky?

Did anyone notice that the chip that Taylor watched was not the chip that concerned everyone (Logan spilling the beans). I didn't catch where that chip went and why, if both were confiscated, Bauer's farewell was shown and the other destroyed (?). Sequel made-forTV-movie or otherwise? I agree, quite a letdown. The writers must be worn out.

Did anyone notice that the chip that Taylor watched was not the chip that concerned everyone (Logan spilling the beans). I didn't catch where that chip went and why, if both were confiscated, Bauer's farewell was shown and the other destroyed (?). Sequel made-forTV-movie or otherwise? I agree, quite a letdown. The writers must be worn out.

Well, there are several possibilities. Remember, Logan and Pillar got hold of the card before President Taylor saw it. So maybe they erased the Logan voice file and just left Jack's video apologia.

Or Bauer took a page from Pavel's book and swallowed the data card with the Logan recording on it. Not that it much matters now, with Logan having enacted his own version of "Face/Off." The guy's been slashed in the jugular and taken a self-inflicted bullet to the head, and still isn't dead? And you thought Bauer's immortality was a problem?

But I simply don't buy the notion that President Taylor magically relocated her spine in the act of picking up a pen. In fact, I was secretly hoping that it would turn out to be an exploding pen, and that then maybe Dalia Hassan would stick a nail file in Suvarov's neck for good measure.

"Madame President, the bullet passed through President Logan's brain and out the top of his head, but fortunately it didn't hit any vital organs..."

Did anyone catch the premiere of 24: Live Another Day?  I thought it started 9pm, so it was already an hour into the story when I switched over.  I decided to turn it off and catch the premiere online later today.

I watched it on Hulu today. I feel like 24 ran out of new scenarios a few seasons ago, so I wasn't surprised that this one seems to be recycling quite a few elements. At the same time, though, the set up has some interesting pieces in it, and I think the shorter season will help it to stay focused.

I thought this series ran out of steam about halfway through its original eight-episode run, but I was curious to see whether or not this new season would breathe new life into the concept. Judging my the premiere, it doesn't, but it will probably satisfy those who are looking for more of the same.

I watched it on Hulu today. I feel like 24 ran out of new scenarios a few seasons ago, so I wasn't surprised that this one seems to be recycling quite a few elements. At the same time, though, the set up has some interesting pieces in it, and I think the shorter season will help it to stay focused.

Yup. Three episodes in, and I'm finding it fairly enjoyable despite feeling very familiar.

So far, the shorter episode count means some tighter episodes, though there's still time for super-dumb subplots. (Nothing on par with Kim Bauer getting chased by a mountain lion. Yet. But there's still time.) I do not buy Chloe's new persona one bit, either. Still some good stuff: good to see Chris Partlow again, and I'm enjoying see the number of British actors adopting American accents (I think there are more Brits playing Americans than Americans playing Americans). 

I gave up on 24 halfway through the sixth season. As a friend said, the show is like cheap ramen—it's great every so often, but once you have it a few times in a row you begin to question your actions. Enough time has passed that I'm finding this enjoyable, but if the show is back for more seasons....

Did we not have a thread for "Touch"? I watched both seasons even though it turned into "24 Lite: The Reunion." DB Sweeney, Mykelti Williamson, Annie Wersching, Leland Orser, John Boyd ...  

Edited by mrmando

I think 24: Live Another Day was easily one of the best seasons in the show's run. I've seen a fair number of genuinely good shows over the past years, but the last few episodes of this seasons had me riveted unlike anything I've watched in quite some time.