Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Or that of the two black lovers where the man is a successful, strong willed individual with a woman who blackmails him for her own personal gain?  Seems vaugely familar, although I can't put my finger on it... tongue.gif

I almost thought at the end of the 10-11AM episode when they cut to Jack's POV looking at the gun in the car seat that he was going to take himself hostage (a la Sheriff Bart in Blazing Saddles.)

I'm not liking the mentally troubled child character, however.  Smells like a cougar to me.

laugh.gif

Let's not forget the "I'm sleeping with my boss's daughter but let's not tell him until the time is right" storyline (Jack & Audrey this year, Kim & Chase last year).

laugh.gif

Let's not forget the "I'm sleeping with my boss's daughter but let's not tell him until the time is right" storyline (Jack & Audrey this year, Kim & Chase last year).

Ha! Forgot that one!

Although... you get the idea that Heller knows, given the smirk he gave Jack after Audrey said she was having "dinner with a friend".

Last night's episode was one of the more disturbing that I'd seen. This seems to be the TV season for torturing individuals in realistic ways. First we have Jack and Sayid doing the ol' bamboo shoots under the fingernails sequence in Lost, and now last nights cringe-inducing

electricution of agent Breck

Yeah, they got right to it, didn't they? Of course, Driscoll as a character always makes the wrong decision. When the plot lets us know that a badguy has info Jack needs, Driscoll drags her feet. When the plot lets us know

agent Breck is innocent, she jumps right in with the torture

. I'd like for Driscoll to once in a while be right. But that's just me.

But, I did like the ep. last night!

I only started watching 24 about 3 or 4 episodes ago, but I'm hooked. Sadly, there are only two more episodes left this season. How are they ever going to

defuse that nuclear missile

in time???

Anybody know how long it usually takes for a season of a TV show to get to DVD? I'm not a big fan of TV shows usually, so I couldn't even make a ballpark estimate. But I do want to catch up on the episodes I've missed this season before the next one starts.

Don't worry, Jeff. Jack Bauer is invincible - he's never lost the world yet. The writers always pull something out of their butts, and with a little luck this year it'll be more plausible than last season's conclusion.

(The big rumor, though is that they'll kill him off in the season finale; and that another major character will die.)

I'm not sure how soon the DVD will be out, but if you're a total newbie to the show, you have to check out season 1 - by far the best of the series, although this year it's gotten its groove back. Season 2 was pretty solid, too, but skip season 3.

From what I've read, the big character that will die this season will be

Michelle

. This character is apparently killed by

Mandy, the contract killer from S1 and the end of S2

spoilers1.gif

From what I've read, the big character that will die this season will be

Michelle

Hmm, I'm not too emotionally attached to that character anyways. Not that I want to see innocent people die or anything, but we all have our favorites of course. Still, it was disturbing when

Audrey's husband died because Jack forced the surgeon at CTU to stop operating on him in order to save the Chinese nuclear scientist.

It left me depressed throughout the next day.

I'd definitely like to check out Season 1. My Dad has a friend who has the box set, so maybe we can snitch it from him. The showed first aired in 2001, right? Looks like I've got a lot to catch up on.

As for

Jack dying at the end of this season

, wouldn't that bring 24 to an end for good? I can't see how they could do another season without

Jack Bauer

involved. huh.gif

I'd heard

Michelle

might be killed off, too, but supposedly by

suicide

As for killing off

Jack

, it's probably more a Fox publicity stunt. Although

Keifer Sutherland has said in the past he thinks if the writers want to keep the show remotely realistic, Jack should die at some point. I'd settle for letting Jack be wrong once in awhile! They could still continue the show, they'd just have to bring in another star of Sutherland's caliber to be the new super-agent - maybe even reveal mid-season that Jack's not really dead, and have him partner with the new guy.

The disturbing scene with

Audrey's husband

was vintage 24 - showing Jack's dark side even as he does the right (?) thing.

If they want to keep the show realistic, shouldn't these people need sleep sometime soon? It's been several days now...

I really wish the realism, sharp writing and quality acting of the West Wing were combined with 24; as much as I love it, 24 is stretching the bounds of credulity.

If they want to keep the show realistic, shouldn't these people need sleep sometime soon? It's been several days now...

I really wish the realism, sharp writing and quality acting of the West Wing were combined with 24; as much as I love it, 24 is stretching the bounds of credulity.

Yeah, I agree. 24 is ridiculously entertaining, but too much emphasis on the ridiculous. It also irks me that this season they boasted about bringing in a whole new cast of characters except for Sutherland - and by mid-season, the entire "new" cast was gone, replaced by last year's regulars. Why bother bringing in heavy-hitters like William Devane and Shohreh Aghdashloo if you're not going to write for them? At least Aghdashloo's character

got a big "blown away" sendoff

- Devane just disappeared in the middle of the crisis. Shouldn't the secretary of defense be advising the president or something?

The disturbing scene with

Audrey's husband

was vintage 24 - showing Jack's dark side even as he does the right (?) thing.

Yeah, it was sad, but very dramatically effective. It provided an interesting moral grey-area. Poor Audrey, though. Her reaction was very believable; what's that actresses name?

As for killing off

Jack

, it's probably more a Fox publicity stunt.

Very true, the execs could just be bluffing. It would all depend on whether the actor in question feels like doing another season, I guess.

What I can't figure out right now (probably because I only recently jumped onto the 24 bandwagon) is what qualifies David Palmer to be called into the White House to run the show instead of the President? They keep on referring to him as Mr. President; was he the prez during earlier seasons of the show? Was there some kind of rivalry between himself and the current Secretary of Defense?

Devane's character was called to Washington; he'll be in the next episode.

Palmer was President for Seasons 1-2, anyway - maybe Season 3, too. All former Presidents are referred to as "Mr. President."

Devane was not on the show with Palmer, I don't think.

Yeah, it was sad, but very dramatically effective. It provided an interesting moral grey-area. Poor Audrey, though. Her reaction was very believable; what's that actresses name?

Kim Raver is the actress. I'd never seen her before, but apparently she was a Third Watch regular.

What I can't figure out right now (probably because I only recently jumped onto the 24 bandwagon) is what qualifies David Palmer to be called into the White House to run the show instead of the President? They keep on referring to him as Mr. President; was he the prez during earlier seasons of the show? Was there some kind of rivalry between himself and the current Secretary of Defense?

Palmer was President for Seasons 1-2, anyway - maybe Season 3, too. All former Presidents are referred to as "Mr. President."

Devane was not on the show with Palmer, I don't think.

Yup, you got it Jeff - this is where reality takes it to the chin on 24. A former president (Palmer was actually president in seasons 2 and 3, and was running for president in season one) might be called in as an adviser, but replace the sitting president? Palmer was brought in because 1) Dennis Haysbert's a terrific actor and fan favorite; 2) to give Jack a much-needed ally in the White House; and 3) to resurrect some dramatic tension from a few seasons ago, since Mike Novick, the president's chief of staff (?) was Palmer's right hand man until Novick betrayed him. So the writers are throwing in a bit of history for long-time viewers, which is cool.

But you're onto another of my big gripes about the show this season and last - the lack of a presidential cabinet or team of advisers. Last season, Palmer relied solely on his brother (also his chief of staff) to guide him through the worst security crisis ever; this season, the newly sworn in president had Novick and one cabinet member. So where's the rest of his cabinet? Where's his NSA chief? Air Force One was just taken down, the president incapacitated ... and the commander in chief isn't surrounding himself with his full staff?

The episode that reintroduced Palmer might have been the least realistic in 24's history - the new pres having Jack arrested just as he's about to collar the worst terrorist on American soil? Puh-leeze.

Oh well, poking holes in the plot is half the fun of watching!

Devane wasn't on the show at the same time as Palmer - it'll be interesting if they pit these two guys against each other - they're both strong actors, and good characters.

But you're onto another of my big gripes about the show this season and last - the lack of a presidential cabinet or team of advisers. Last season, Palmer relied solely on his brother (also his chief of staff) to guide him through the worst security crisis ever; this season, the newly sworn in president had Novick and one cabinet member. So where's the rest of his cabinet? Where's his NSA chief? Air Force One was just taken down, the president incapacitated ... and the commander in chief isn't surrounding himself with his full staff?

The episode that reintroduced Palmer might have been the least realistic in 24's history - the new pres having Jack arrested just as he's about to collar the worst terrorist on American soil? Puh-leeze.

Very good point. In particular, the absence of the Secretary of Defense bothers me a little. Maybe some of the cabinet was KO'd when

Air Force One went down

but it is unlikely that not even two or three of them would've been in D.C. at the time. And where is the director of the FBI? You'd think he would be a little more involved.

Also, I find Devane to be somewhat irritating; he calls in Palmer to take over for him, but he always complains about what Palmer is doing. I keep thinking that any time now, he's going to seize back power for himself and screw everything up. And that Novick guy looks suspicious to me; I keep thinking he'll end up being a villain of some kind.

I'm thinking now that the next season will somehow involve

fallout from the raid on the Chinese consulate

. I can't see how this issue could be wrapped up in 2 more episodes, and it would surely make for an interesting high-stakes storyline. I doubt it would involve an

open war with the Chinese as a result of the attack

, but maybe they would start sponsoring terrorism within the U.S. or something.

Edited by Mister Jeff

Also, I find Devane to be somewhat irritating; he calls in Palmer to take over for him, but he always complains about what Palmer is doing. I keep thinking that any time now, he's going to seize back power for himself and screw everything up. And that Novick guy looks suspicious to me; I keep thinking he'll end up being a villain of some kind.

You're a little confused, Jeff. Devane is the Secretary of Defense. The VP/Acting President called Palmer in.

Last night's episode - wow! - convinced me the writers are back on track at Season 1 level. All the show's subplots and quasi-soap-opera developments clicked perfectly in service of the main terrorism storyline. Now I'm finally believing all the hype that this will be the best season since number 1. (Of course there's still the 2-hour finale to get through, but from the momentum the show has built, it ought to be a humdinger.)

One thing 24 hasn't been able to get right is circling all its subplots back to the main plot line. But this year, everything back to hour 1 - the Araz terrorist cell, the Jack-Audrey romance, Erin Driscoll's bipolar daughter, Tony & Michelle's marital woes, the dysfunctional Heller family, the raid on the Chinese consulate - have been related to the main terrorism story, at least indirectly. Way to go, writers!

Who'd a thought last night's big reveal would be that

Richard Heller is gay? That scene was so well-played - a rare moment of complex characterization on 24. William Devane is such a good actor, he really ought to be a full regular next season. And poor Audrey - if she survives the finale, she's gonna need some therapy. Oh, and what a clever way to reintroduce Mandy, the bisexual assassin from Season 1!

Clint, have you read any rumors about where the missile is headed? My theory is it will hit

CTU, or at least Los Angeles. The writers cryptically said in a recent interview that it will be hard to come up with storylines for next season, leading me to believe they're going to wipe out CTU (the office at least, and maybe some characters, too). Chloe will supposedly be back - yee-hah! She's the most entertaining character on TV, IMO.

Last night's episode was pretty good. It was great to see the VP and Palmer interact with the Cabinet at last. And just how Jack and company will divert the impending nuke disaster is thrilling stuff. I'm not sure such a small nuclear warhead could fly as long as the show would have you believe, but hey. I won't be a killjoy.

I've really come to appreciate Kim Raver's acting these last couple episodes. She's doing a great job as Aubrey, and the way her relationship with Bauer is going provides an above-average soap-opera dimension that complents the action nicely. And I agree, Chloe O'Brien is pretty cool; she lightens the mood without ever sinking down to the level of wise-cracking comic-relief sidekick.

As for

Richard Heller being gay, well, I don't get it. I don't have enough experience watching

24 to know whether or not this is the result of previous foreshadowing or whether it just came out of left field. But it just seems like homosexuality for the sake of homosexuality, in my opinion.

Next week's episode is two hours long. It'll definitely provide a fun, judging by the clip played after last night's show.

Last night's finale was pretty cool! biggrin.gif I really enjoyed both halves of the double episode. The

hostage situation with Paul

was thrillingly handled, the

romantic subplot involving Jack and Audrey

was given a touching, satisfyingly uncertain close, and the

tension between Presidents Logan and Palmer

came to a fascinating head. January 2006 can't come soon enough.

Full marks for suspense and a gutsy ending -- not many shows seem to be willing to take the character in such a radical new direction. Jack Bauer may now simply be the ultimate undercover agent -- not even the President will know he's alive. I can't imagine what trouble he'll get into next.

Not to rain on the parade here, but the whole missile thing was laughable -- I mean, no way to track a missile with any kind of radar for 3 hours, then suddenly a fighter jet is able to lock on and blow it up after they find an approximate flight path in Marwan's computer? I enjoy the intensity of this show, but if the writers wouldn't over-reach like that, it might be a show you could watch more than once.

No kidding. That ending is very bold for a TV show that is now four seasons in. I'm hoping next season is less CTU-ish and more focused on rogue Jack Bauer. (Is it sad that I found the last fourty minutes of the show - when it focused on Jack and his possible death - more compelling than the resolution of the main season storyline?)

BTW - Mary Linn Rajskub (Chloe) will be a full player next season.

In the final shot of last nights show, was anybody besides me humming the theme to the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk series?

smile.gif

Yup, me too.

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I'll shoot you in the thigh."

Edited by crimsonline