Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Not to rain on the parade here, but the whole missile thing was laughable -- I mean, no way to track a missile with any kind of radar for 3 hours, then suddenly a fighter jet is able to lock on and blow it up after they find an approximate flight path in Marwan's computer? I enjoy the intensity of this show, but if the writers wouldn't over-reach like that, it might be a show you could watch more than once.

There are so many of those laughably bad moments ... but I remain addicted! (The whole Tony-as-hostage situation comes to mind. And the fact that for four years, security forces had footage of Mandy the assassin infecting President Palmer yet never managed to track her down ... er, wait a minute, maybe that's no so far-fetched unsure.gif )

No kidding.  That ending is very bold for a TV show that is now four seasons in.  I'm hoping next season is less CTU-ish and more focused on rogue Jack Bauer.  (Is it sad that I found the last fourty minutes of the show - when it focused on Jack and his possible death - more compelling than the resolution of the main season storyline?)

24's survival will depend on taking it out of the CTU office and building a whole new backdrop, IMO. Having Jack a rogue agent roaming around lands unknown could be the ticket.

That said, this was the most satisfying season yet, aside from the first. (and no Kim Bauer to deal with this time around)

Just saw a report that 24 is headed for the big screen -- likely 2 years away, and likely not strictly a real-time show, at least for the first hour of the movie.

Just saw a report that 24 is headed for the big screen -- likely 2 years away, and likely not strictly a real-time show, at least for the first hour of the movie.

huh.gif

Doesn't that belie the title 24? And without the real-time setup over the course of a day, isn't 24 really just another espionage thriller?

On a related note, USA Today's TV critic, Robert Bianco, did his "memo to Emmy voters" yesterday and called on the Emmy people to finally recognize some of the show's other actors aside from Sutherland, notably Shoreh Aghdashloo as the terrorist mom and Mary Lynn Rajskub as Chloe O'Brien. From his lips to Emmy's ear.

As I was perusing this thread, I noticed a couple of glancing references to a rather disturbing tendency in 24, namely, it's presentation of torture as a viable procedure as long it's done for the "right reasons." Was anyone else disturbed by this ends-justifies-the-means mentality?

I dunno, James Bond kills people as a means to certain ends, and no one seems to mind.

Hmm...so if no one minds, it must be ok.

However, stepping away from the logic problem, there seems to be a fairly clear difference between shooting someone who is chasing you and shooting at you or who is at least armed and clearly the enemy and inflicting pain on an individual totally within your power who may or may not be an enemy.

So is the problem the difference between the killing and the inflicting of pain? (As far as I'm concerned, if you can accept the former as a means to an end, then the latter is certainly acceptable as a means to an end, too; it is not a question of black-or-white right-and-wrong, but rather, it is a question of proportion and degree.)

Or is the problem the difference between knowing for sure that someone is an enemy and only suspecting that someone is an enemy? (To which all I can say is that soldiers often shoot the wrong people, hence the term "friendly fire". It's regrettable, but it happens, and in emergency situations, your thought-to-action ratio will tend to skew more towards the action side of things; sometimes you have to rely on instinct.)

Of course, Jack Bauer has the advantage of knowing which person will cough up just the right piece of information if inflicted with the proper 'encouragement.' Doubtful they'd include a storyline in which an innocent bystander gets picked up and run through the mill for nothing.

I agree completely, Tim.

Just to clarify, it was the criticism of the "ends-justifies-the-means mentality" that I was responding to. I am quite okay with torture as a means to an end, especially in fictitious contexts where, as Tim notes, the heroes "know" who is guilty in a way that those of us in the real world probably wouldn't. Indeed, I confess I get a thrill out of movies and TV shows that aren't afraid to depict heroes who have the guts to "do whatever it takes" to save the day.

Like I say, it's all a question of proportion and degree. I don't watch TV, so I don't watch 24, so I don't know what particular situations Jack Bauer has to deal with, but if the whole premise of the series is that he has less than a day to prevent some major catastrophe or other from happening, then yeah, I think the urgency and the scale of the disaster he is trying to avert could easily make a bit of torture here and there quite proportionate.

(This isn't quite the same thing, but in John Carpenter's The Thing, Kurt Russell theatens to kill anyone who challenges his plan to determine which of the scientists is a human being and which is the monster in disguise. Someone challenges him, he kills the guy. It later turns out that the guy he killed was a human being. The film does NOT try to wimp out by making the guy an alien or by making us see how bad Russell was for making his threat and sticking to it.)

Welcome to the boards, tctruffin. Glad to have you.

Of course, Jack Bauer has the advantage of knowing which person will cough up just the right piece of information if inflicted with the proper 'encouragement.' Doubtful they'd include a storyline in which an innocent bystander gets picked up and run through the mill for nothing.

Hmmm.... wasn't Agent Gavin tortured this season when Erin Driscoll thought she was the mole? And didn't Richard Heller turn out to be innocent of any direct connection to the terrorists? (and he was tortured a couple of times)

Still, I get your point, Tim, and Peter's as well. 24 doesn't challenge me to consider whether torture is legitimate because it doesn't mean to. It's an escapist espionage thriller. It takes place in a world where Jack Bauer can walk away from clinical death after being brutally tortured, and moments later dispatch his tormentors. I'm not sure the show has ever advocated anything - even during season 2, which appeared to be a pointed criticism of the Bush administration.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the question; 24's far-out world just isn't one in which I consider it seriously.

Well, after all our discussion regarding Season 4, I decided to catch up on the earlier seasons of this show over the summer. I've finished seasons 1 and 2, and both of them were really, really good. The first half of season one is borderline lame, but it ultimately redeems itself with an awesome second half. And season two was just thoroughly thrilling. I watched the final five episodes all in one night because I just couldn't stop. The adventures of Jack Bauer are certainly the best thing I've ever seen on TV. I'll be looking into getting season three soon too, although I think I might need a break so as to catch up on some movies I've missed.

Still, does anyone know when season 4 will be available on DVD? I'd like to catch up on the ones I missed. Also, does anyone know what to expect of season 5? I can't find any decent pre-release info anywhere. I heard a rumor that Scarlett Johanssen is going to be in a few episodes, but I find that hard to believe.

One thing, though: I'm glad Elisha Cuthbert has left the show. Her character damn near ruins season 1 with her sheer stupidity.

Looks like Sean Astin of Samwise Gamgee fame will be joining the cast for season 5 (according to AICN). He'll be playing a CTU agent, apparently.

Potential Spoilers below, but here's the cast and such for Season 5:

Four-Hour, Two-Night Premiere Event Sunday, January 15, and Monday, January 16, ON FOX

As 24's highly-anticipated premiere approaches, the cast is growing, with Julian Sands ("A Room with a View"), Peter Weller ("Robo Cop") and Oscar, Golden Globe and Emmy-nominated actress JoBeth Williams ("Poltergeist" and "The Big Chill") join the series for it's fifth heart-stopping season. 24 premieres with a four-hour, two-night event Sunday, Jan. 15 and Monday, Jan. 16 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. Additionally, the second hour on Monday, Jan. 16 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) will mark the series' 100th episode.

British born actor Julian Sands will play billionaire bad guy "Vladamir Bierko" while Peter Weller portrays "Christopher Henderson," the federal agent who recruited Jack to counter terrorist work more than a decade ago. JoBeth Williams is Henderson's wife, Miriam. All three characters will come face-to-face with Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) as he desperately attempts to prevent the series' most lethal terror threat yet on US soil.

Season five picks up 18 months after the exciting conclusion of season four, as national security is brutally breached. A presumed dead Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) is actually living a new life with Diane (Connie Britton) and her son Derek (Brady Corbet). A shaky President Logan (Gregory Itzin) is running the nation, while composed Bill Buchanan (James Morrison) commands CTU alongside key operatives Curtis Manning (Roger Cross), Edgar Stiles (Louis Lombardi) and Chloe O'Brian (Mary Lynn Rajskub). Also featured in season five will be Emmy Award-winning actress Jean Smart as First Lady Martha Logan. In addition, Tony Almeida (Carlos Bernard) and Audrey Raines (Kim Raver) return, while Lynn McGill (Sean Astin) joins CTU. 

24, created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, is a production of Real Time Productions and Imagine Television in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Brian Grazer, Joel Surnow, Robert Cochran, Howard Gordon and Evan Katz are the executive producers. Kiefer Sutherland is a co-executive producer.

I'm disappointed to hear that Jack Bauer is going to have yet another woman following him around this season. Why can't he stick with Audrey?

Still, I'm excited about the new season. I've been having 24 withdrawal syndromes, I think.

Audrey is annoying. And Jack has killed pretty much everyone else close to her by this point, or shot them in the thigh...

smile.gif

I didn't mind Audrey, but I do wish they'd stop trying to force some romantic subplot on Jack. The man's got enough problems to handle without having to deal with girlfriends and their kids.

But if they insist on giving him a love interest, I'd prefer Kate Warner from Season 2.

There are some fairly convincing spoilers out there about Season 5. Given 24's tendency to circulate false rumors about its storylines, they could all be fake. But if anyone wants to know what will supposedly happen in the first two hours, PM me.

Actually, no, I haven't been watching. But I still glean what I can from the nutshell reviews at www.televisionwithoutpity.com (snarky, to be sure, but the mini-reviews keep me informed). Plus, a couple of my co-workers are hooked, so I can always ask them.

Are you referring to a certain evil someone who may have finally met her demise?

Great link- a thousand thanks. I don't always get to watch prime time tv and I feel so left out at work-you know the whole 'around the water cooler talk' --so at least I can keep up now.

I saw the product-placement laden, Toyota-sponsored, ten-minute bridge between seasons four and five. Not much too it, except that Jack is now in

Chicago

and he's got

grungy long hair and an old-bum-on-the-street look about him

! Very interesting indeed.

Plus, FWIW, Chloe is looking pretty good these days. Who knew?

Is this the DVD preview of the new season? Supposedly the promo ends with a cliff-hanging bang - true? Worth watching?

As for Chloe, they've really glammed her up since Season 3, when she was totally Ms. Geeky Computer Geek. I'm betting they're grooming her for a romance with Edgar, who now holds Geekiest Computer Geek title. :unsure:

Also, USA Today's Robert Bianco today announces two new additions to season 5's cast -

They're burnishing the cast roster at 24. Set to launch its fifth season with a two-hour special Sunday, Jan. 15, the Fox hit has just added two more award-winning actors to its ensemble: Laurie Metcalf, a three-time Emmy winner for Roseanne, and Stephen Spinella, a two-time Tony winner for Angels in America. Metcalf plays a heavy-handed Homeland Security official, and Spinella is her subordinate.

Also, USA Today's Robert Bianco today announces two new additions to season 5's cast -

They're burnishing the cast roster at 24. Set to launch its fifth season with a two-hour special Sunday, Jan. 15, the Fox hit has just added two more award-winning actors to its ensemble: Laurie Metcalf, a three-time Emmy winner for Roseanne, and Stephen Spinella, a two-time Tony winner for Angels in America. Metcalf plays a heavy-handed Homeland Security official, and Spinella is her subordinate.

Update from USA Today says Metcalf is out:

Fox's 24 has made a casting switch, replacing Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne) with Jayne Atkinson in a multi-episode role as Homeland Security official Karen Hayes. Though executive producer Howard Gordon praised Metcalf's acting skills, he said the role was not the right fit for the actress, who was on the set playing the character last week. They decided to recast the role by mutual agreement, Gordon said in a statement. "We still hope that we will have the chance to create a role for (Metcalf) sometime down the line," Gordon said. 24's fifth season premieres Jan. 15 (8 p.m. ET/PT). Atkinson was a Tony nominee for Enchanted April and The Rainmaker.

In other 24 news, TV Guide reports this week that Elisha Cuthbert will be back this season as Kim Bauer. We can only hope she brings with her both a storyline and some acting skills (he said snarkily).

Whoa, sort of missed your post there Mark!

Is this the DVD preview of the new season? Supposedly the promo ends with a cliff-hanging bang - true? Worth watching?

Don't know if you've seen it by now, but no, there isn't really a cliff-hanger ending. For what it is, the promo is kind of cool, but it doesn't tell us anything new.

In other 24 news, TV Guide reports this week that Elisha Cuthbert will be back this season as Kim Bauer. We can only hope she brings with her both a storyline and some acting skills (he said snarkily).

Oh crap. I would rather have Kate Warner or Chase Edmunds or an undead Sherrie Palmer come back before I'd wish to see Kim again.

Then again...that action-packed opening 10-minutes that everyone is talking about........could Kim somehow become a casualty? This is pure speculation, but it would be interesting indeed, and Cuthbert's role probably isn't that extensive since she's busy doing movies and stuff....

Cool! Slam-bang start to things. I will miss Palmer, and Michelle (sorta). I KNEW that guy was bad. I KNEW it.

I thought the first episode was a really good start to the season, and it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Edited by Crow