Sign in to follow this  
Diane

So, thoughts on this past episode? (aired 3 April, 06)

:spoilers:

Seriously, I didn't see that coming. I think I fell out of my seat during the final scene. That was an effective bait-and-switch with the VP (Laura Palmer's dad, in my mind). I'm also really, really glad that some of the old faces (Wayne Palmer, Aaron Pierce, Mike Novak) are getting a TON of screen time this season.

As much as I like season one, this is probably the most consistent--in my mind at least--season of the show.

Hmmm....I don't quite know how I feel about the revelation that Logan is a baddie. I guess I'm having trouble figuring out just how much of the operation he planned, and how much was left up to chance. Did he knowingly unleash nerve gas on US citizens or was that not part of the original plan?

I still want to know what it was that Palmer "knew". For three weeks now, they have neglected to tell us.

Overall though this thing is awesome. I'm glad that Kiefer just signed that big-money 3-season deal, because 24 can easily keep going strong if they have scripts of this quality being turned out.

I'm with Jeff; the revelation was classic 24, a shocking twist from a show that's given us a lot of shocking twists this season. But now that revelation leaves us with a bunch of consistency issues. I can't wait for Season 5's DVD release so I can go back and figure out how Logan's earlier behavior stacks up against the revelation that he's behind it all. Was he in cahoots with Walt Cummings all along? Was Cummings protecting Logan when he committed suicide? Was the assassination of the Russians part of the plan all along? Was Logan sincerely torn when the First Lady got into the limo with the Russians, or did he see that as a way of shutting her up permanently? I want answers, dammit! :)

That said, this season absolutely rocks! (ignoring the fact that a U.S. president could never plan something like this in a vacuum, and would certainly NEVER be taking cell phone calls from the chief bad guy, detailing all the bad stuff he's doing. That's the whole reason presidents have aides and cabinets - probable deniability!)

That said, this season absolutely rocks!

I'm with you on this-- I think it's the best one so far.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to re-watching the season to figure some things out (namely the Logan-consistency ones). But I'm sticking with this mindset for now-- Logan may have orchestrated Palmer's assassination and some of the events directly stemming from that, but Cummings acted on his own, as did the terrorists once they go ahold of the Sentox. Everything snowballed because of Logan's actions, I think.

Heller, you IDIOT!

After 5 days of watching him save the world, why on Earth would you try to lock up Jack Bauer and ruin his world-saving plans in favor of bluntly hashing it out with a treacherous president? And locking up Audrey too??? That's going to make for some awkward family moments later.

When will the characters on 24 learn that Jack Bauer is always right and that resisting him is fruitless anyways? He can always just burn through the handcuffs and KO your security guards anyways.

Still, this season continues to rock. I hope Aaron Pierce finally gets to open a can of whup next week.

Still, this season continues to rock. I hope Aaron Pierce finally gets to open a can of whup next week.

I hope so too. He's been on the show for five seasons, and I'm glad they're finally letting him do things.

And, did anyone catch Martha's phone number? It wasn't a 555 number.

Heller should not have let Toonces drive.

[attachmentid=521]

Nice to see that Jack's hood contains invisibility powers. Who knew??

Otherwise, a solid episode last night. Glad to see Curtis back in the game.

post-181-1145970292_thumb.jpg

Oh come off it. We all know Heller is going to swim to safety and fight again another day. ;)

And wouldn't it be sweet if Jack finds out the plane he just got on is infested with snakes? Maybe Sammy L Jackson will show up. Bauer on a plane, baby!

Uh just kidding. :D

Last night was brilliant. How ironic is it that to stop terrorism, Jack Bauer would be forced to hijack an airliner full of innocent people at gun point, and knock out their air marshall to boot? The screenwriters sure know topical relevance when they see it.

Only three more to go. The suspense is killing me. It's time to make predictions regarding late-season casualties. Will Kim and Barry get it? Will that German agent who Jack doublecrossed come back? Will that woman and her son who were so important earlier come back? Is Heller really dead?

Last night was brilliant. How ironic is it that to stop terrorism, Jack Bauer would be forced to hijack an airliner full of innocent people at gun point, and knock out their air marshall to boot? The screenwriters sure know topical relevance when they see it.

Only three more to go. The suspense is killing me. It's time to make predictions regarding late-season casualties. Will Kim and Barry get it? Will that German agent who Jack doublecrossed come back? Will that woman and her son who were so important earlier come back? Is Heller really dead?

Is it really three? I thought the season started at 7 a.m. (which would make it four). I may be wrong.

:spoilers:

My thoughts? I think the German agent (Desmond, as I like to call him) will come back. I wouldn't be surprised if the scriptwriters wait to bring him back next season (ala Mandy in season 2). I don't think Heller is dead-- they wouldn't have zoomed in on the air bubbling out if they planned to deep-six him. Killing Audrey? This is a possibility, but they may just do something that prevents her and Jack from having a relationship again, like possibly KILLING JACK. It has to happen eventually. I just hope Bill Buchanan makes it to season 6.

Well, I do know that

Kim Raver is signed to another series for next season,

so there remains the possiblity that the character this person plays could be killed.

They've raised the bar high this season. Hopefully Fury and Coto stick around as the head writers. I can't imagine what they are going to do next season.

I'm fully aware of how silly that looked, but hey! It looks like an edited CTU document!

Edited by Clint M

This post will be laden with :spoilers: (I think we're the only four who read it anyway, but figured better safe than sorry). Wishes for the finale and going forth:

Heller survives the plunge, and returns a hero after Logan is exposed. Heller is elected president (thus ensuring William Devane's return to the series next season).

Audrey retains a governmental position, but breaks off her relationship with Jack. (I'm torn on Audrey ... she's grown on me, but retaining her risks making her the next Kim Bauer, i.e. a character who provides emotional baggage for Jack but little storyline substance. On the other hand, since she's got a government role, she might have a natural place in next season's storyline. Plus, killing her off might make this season finale too much like the Season 1 shocker when Terri was murdered.)

President Logan manages to weasel his way out of the scandal and lets others take the fall. However, Martha Logan goes off the edge, emotionally, and murders him. (This would kind of stink, because Jean Smart is fantastic at playing the unhinged Martha, and I'd love to see her stay on ... but retaining her risks the Sherry Palmer/Nina Myers syndrome, i.e., keeping a character long past her logical utility to the series.)

Bill Buchanan is reinstated at CTU under the supervision of Homeland Security director Karen Hayes (she has really become an interesting character; love the way the writers resisted turning her into one more short-sighted CTU director who tries to thwart Jack at every turn; also, the interdepartmental tension between CTU and Homeland provides some of that topical relevance Jeff mentioned).

Christopher Henderson - frankly, I'd like to see him survive and escape, so he can return to wreak havoc another day. But I suspect he'll be dispatched by finale's end.

Aaron Pierce - what a great supporting character who's been around since Day 1 (maybe not the first episode? But at least the first season). I hope he's alive. Would love for him to return in the finale and save Mrs. Logan, from herself or the baddies who will no doubt try to take her out.

Miles finally catches Chloe, and she uses her Taser gun on him. :)

Kim & Barry are never heard from again.

As for killing Jack - Sutherland himself has said he'd like that to happen at some point, but I just don't see it, unless they bring in someone with his intensity and star wattage as a replacement. Even then, with 24 at the height of its popularity, it would be way too risky to get rid of the star.

Jason's right, there are four hours left, but only three episodes. The two-hour finale airs May 22.

I've been watching this season. It's been quite entertaining, though definitely over-the-top in just about every way possible. Jack Bauer does seem to be more and more like a superman than a real character, though. But as long as the writers can keep the pace exciting and through enough plot into the mix, it works, like a high-wire act.

Here's some Basic Truths about Jack Bauer

- If Jack Bauer was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and Nina Meyers, and he had a gun with 2 bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.

- Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

- If it tastes like chicken, looks like chicken, and feels like chicken, but Jack Bauer says its beef. Then you better believe it's beef.

- Jack Bauer doesn't miss. If he didn't hit you it's because he was shooting at another terrorist twelve miles away.

- Jesus died and rose from the dead in 3 days. It took Jack Bauer less than an hour. And he's done it twice.

Laughing so hard that I'm crying!

As for killing Jack - Sutherland himself has said he'd like that to happen at some point, but I just don't see it, unless they bring in someone with his intensity and star wattage as a replacement. Even then, with 24 at the height of its popularity, it would be way too risky to get rid of the star.

Not sure if you guys know, Sutherland just signed a three-season renewal that pays him millions of dollars to stay on, and also makes him the show's executive producer. Bauer will be immortal yet.

Audrey retains a governmental position, but breaks off her relationship with Jack. (I'm torn on Audrey ... she's grown on me, but retaining her risks making her the next Kim Bauer, i.e. a character who provides emotional baggage for Jack but little storyline substance. On the other hand, since she's got a government role, she might have a natural place in next season's storyline. Plus, killing her off might make this season finale too much like the Season 1 shocker when Terri was murdered.)

I feel very torn on the matter of Audrey Raines. I liked her, than I didn't, than I did, than I didn't, now I sort of do. But I still think Kate Warner was the best female character the show has ever featured. I'd have to agree, killing her off would be a stale, rehashed idea, Terry Bauer Part Deux.

Anyone else find it funny that in season four Audrey chastised Jack's violent ways, yet has totally changed her tune what with the matter of Christopher Henderson? I seem to remember her once saying "Thank God there are people like you, Jack. But I can't be with you, your too violent, etc. etc." Now it's "Kill Henderson Jack! He killed my father!" Tsk tsk.

President Logan manages to weasel his way out of the scandal and lets others take the fall. However, Martha Logan goes off the edge, emotionally, and murders him.

That would be interesting, but I think 24 has done this before (Gael's wife in season three killed Saunders, and I think something similar happened in season two also). It wouldn't surprise me too much, but it would be a good way to tie up the loose ends regarding Logan.

Kim & Barry are never heard from again.

Amen! Either that or they can be eaten by seagulls.

Nice list, Crow! I especially like the first and last.

Not sure if you guys know, Sutherland just signed a three-season renewal that pays him millions of dollars to stay on, and also makes him the show's executive producer. Bauer will be immortal yet.

Yeah, I read that - the actress who plays Chloe also signed a multi-season deal. But if the creators (and Sutherland) really want to go the "Jack dies" route, they'd buy Sutherland out of his contract and let him retain the producer's credit (hasn't he already been billed as a producer for several seasons?).

That would be interesting, but I think 24 has done this before (Gael's wife in season three killed Saunders, and I think something similar happened in season two also).

Really??? Wow, I completely am blocking Gael's wife from season three ... did his wife even appear? Maybe it's because season three was so bad, I've mentally blocked the entire thing. Except, of course, for Kim in a brunette wig, disguised as Saunders's daughter ... a credulity-stretching plotline even by 24 standards.

It was hard watching last night's episode and take it seriously after having seen United 93 earlier in the day...

What irked me about last night's episode was the whole, "

Oh, Audrey, guess what? You're dad is alive. Okay, back to the main plot!

" thing. Way to make a molehill out of one the previous week's mountains.

Shoot, I thought I posted earlier but must have only hit "preview."

My big beef was the "twist" at the end:

What exactly is Miles' motivation for destroying the tape? All season he's been an opportunistic butt-kisser trying to climb the ranks of Homeland. Would a dude like that really attach himself to a president who's clearly disintegrating? Even if Logan survives the scandal, wouldn't Miles be better off keeping a clean nose about the whole thing, then when the fallout hits, turning on his boss, kissing up to the president, and stealing Karen Hayes' position? Maybe I'm thinking too hard about a show that strains credulity to the limits each week, but I like 24's plot twists to flow a little more smoothly. The Miles thing felt like the writers were fulfilling their "twist quotient" for the week.

I just wish

Chloe would have nailed Miles with her taser

;)

I hope that Myles gets his. I can't stand the sound of his voice, for some reason. Amen to the comment about the taser.

FWIW, I didn't think that Myles' betrayal was much of a twist. It was very predictable, given his pissy reaction to that conversation he had with Hayes. If only Myles watched more TV shows like 24...then he'd realize that you should always cast your lots with guys like Jack Bauer, and not guys like Charles Logan. ;)

So...

basically the whole plot just treaded water for an hour.

Except that Aaron's back!

So...

basically the whole plot just treaded water for an hour.

Except that Aaron's back!

And it looks like next week treads on some more water, if you catch my sinking drift. ;)

Would anyone mind filling me in on the last 20 minutes? Our DVR didn't take into account that Prison Break ran late (president's address?), so it cut off the final 20 mintues of 24 ...