Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Anyone?

A PM is OK if you don't want to post spoilers ... or did nothing happen in the last 20 minutes? It was a fairly uninvolving and predictable episode until that point, but stilll .... something must have gone on before the final "Ta-TING, Ta-TING, Ta-TING" ...

Let's see, from what I can remember--

Jack & Friends discover that Bierko is heading toward a Russian submarine docked somewhere in California-- it's there because of the treaty that Logan signed earlier. Jack tries to warn the sub crew, but Bierko uses the last Sentox canister on the crew. So, he now has a sub that can fire dozens of large-scale warheads. Not nukes, mind you, but they can still do lots of damage. Oh yeah, and Aaron tells Mrs. Logan to let Mike Novak know about everything that has happened.

EVERYTHING.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that I can think of!

And

Mrs. Logan shot the Secret Service agent that was about to pack Aaron into the trunk of a car and dispose of him.

At this point it's tough to know what to tag as spoilers so I'll just tag all of it.

I have mixed feelings about last night. Namely, it seems like we've shifted gears away from a promising plot device: the recording. I still think that it's very possible that Jack never truly gave up the recording to Chloe, and that the one he gave her is a bootleg. Otherwise, it seems as though we've chased this darn recording for half a season for no reason at all, only to have it tossed to the wind.

Of course, why Jack would bootleg the thing and never end up using it anyways, I cannot figure out...maybe he's just trying to flush out more terrorists? Or not...ugh.

But dAYum, Aaron Pierce is in da house! He was totally getting the Reservoir Dogs captured-cop treatment, but I can see now that he is being set up to get some major payback. Next week he's going to shoot Logan in the face, I bet.

And though it only took two seconds for the nerve gas to kill everyone on that sub, the idea that the terrorists would hatch such a plan is pretty interesting. Realistically, the navy would've been dropping bombs on that thing from the air left and right within a minute, but hey, it's 24, I'm not going to pick nits.

I have mixed feelings about last night. Namely, it seems like we've shifted gears away from a promising plot device: the recording. I still think that it's very possible that Jack never truly gave up the recording to Chloe, and that the one he gave her is a bootleg. Otherwise, it seems as though we've chased this darn recording for half a season for no reason at all, only to have it tossed to the wind.

Yeah, that bothers the heck out of me, too. What a waste. And then to have Miles dispatched off to the White House ... at that point I wanted to see Jack just cuff the guy, bring him to holding, and have a little friendly "discussion" with him ... but it was at least rewarding to see Jack and even Karen Hayes rough him up a little.

One thought about the

recording: Somehow Chloe and her buddies in processing figure out how to restore what was erased.

That would satisfy the feeling that it was a wasted storyline.

Overall, I agree with Jeff that the episode (what I saw anyway, combined with what you guys have told me) wasn't all that thrilling or surprising ... and now I'm worried that 24 has pulled all the rabbits it has for this season, and that the finale could be anti-climactic. Hope not. But it's always a worry with a show like this.

But dAYum, Aaron Pierce is in da house! He was totally getting the

Reservoir Dogs captured-cop treatment, but I can see now that he is being set up to get some major payback. Next week he's going to shoot Logan in the face, I bet.

Dream team in the White House next season - James Heller as president, Aaron Pierce as V.P.

You're right on the money: I'll bet anything that Heller occupies the Oval Office in season six (and yes, it would be pretty darn cool if Pierce were his right-hand man).Think about it: after Logan is found out, the American people are probably going to react against his whole political scheme by putting someone straightforward who will take no BS into power. Heller would get my vote if I lived in the world of 24 (actually, I'd just go ahead and give my write-in to Jack Bauer, since the man is apparently infallible). :)

I'm still laughing over how they handled the Heller situation, though;

I mean, Audrey frets and cries for a few episodes about his "death," and everyone is bummed, and they made a big show of his heroic act-- and then a few episodes later, you basically get this:

Jack: "Oh no, Henderson got away again! Oh yeah, Audrey, you're dad is alive."

Audrey: "Okay. Are we tracking Henderson?"

Anyone have any thoughts on the season finale?

I thought it was great, probably the best finale yet. Completely defied my expectations, and played the last hour low-key yet wholly suspenseful. Love how doors were left open for many characters, even

Logan

! And they did a nice job tying up some of the emotional loose ends - Palmer's casket loaded into the plane, Chloe crying over Edgar's photo, Jack's acknowledgement that three of his best friends died.

And the last 15 minutes - Way to wrap up an obviously dangling plot thread from last season while setting up the story for next season. Brilliant.

One minor quibble - the introduction of

Chloe's ex-husband.

Aside from "stunt plotting," there's a major plothole there ... supposedly this guy has a bad history with Buchanan. He also appeared to know Jack personally. But when Chloe was looking at the photo of her and Edgar, he asked who it was. Well now ....

Buchanan didn't come to the L.A. bureau of CTU until last season (18 months prior). On that same day, Jack Bauer faked his own death. So how could

Chloe's ex

have worked with Jack and Buchanan? And why wouldn't he know Edgar, since Edgar worked at CTU the whole time Buchanan was director? When was Chloe supposed to have

married and divorced this guy, anyway??

Edited by Mark

Buchanan didn't come to the L.A. bureau of CTU until last season (18 months prior). On that same day, Jack Bauer faked his own death. So how could

Chloe's ex

have worked with Jack and Buchanan? And why wouldn't he know Edgar, since Edgar worked at CTU the whole time Buchanan was director? When was Chloe supposed to have

married and divorced this guy, anyway??

Time travel, obviously.

I really appreciated how low key the last episode was. As you said, Mark, it was very suspenseful, but didn't use slam-bang special effects as a crutch. I'm also glad that

my homies Mike Novak and Aaron Pierce made it through yet

another year

My only gripe: something about the wrap-up with

the Chris Henderson plotline left me cold

. I don't know why, either, and I've been thinking about it all day.

My only gripe: something about the wrap-up with

the Chris Henderson plotline left me cold

. I don't know why, either, and I've been thinking about it all day.

Maybe it's the same thing that bothered this Chicago Tribune columnist:

"Person I

I was actually very disappointed with the episode(s). Especially with 24, you expect everything to build to a frantic, heart-pounding climax. I found the last hour especially to just be dull. For one thing, there were way too many completely unbelievable aspects - and I say this as someone who rarely has a problem with this side of 24. But the whole thing about

Jack getting onto the helicopter at the last minute, with no apparent concern from the pilot, then being able to coax the pilot (who presumably has to be pretty dedicated to the president and a "hero" in his own right to get that job) with a cheesy "I'll shoot you if you say anything" was ridiculous.

Deep breath...okay,

was I the only one who saw the video-conference confession "fake-out" leading to Logan's convenient confession later on coming from a mile away?

I kept thinking to myself, surely THIS isn't supposed to be a big unexpected surprise - especially when it means completely leaving Jack's character for about 15 minutes during the final half-hour of the season!

Other gripes (sorry, I was really ticked after waiting for a good finale):

1) I don't believe for a minute that

the AG took Logan into custody immediately (almost DURING a eulogy to the just deceased former president) based on the confession they got.

2) I don't believe that

Logan was dumb enough to confess, when he was obviously aware that she could be wired, ie. someone might want to be listening.

3) I don't believe that

Jack was let go minutes after hijacking the president's helicopter, knocking out secret service agents and military personnel, and threatening the president at gun point, all because he got the "confession."

4) I also didn't like the

twist of Jack being kidnapped while he's taking a phone call at a random phone in an abandoned warehouse, which his daughter apparently called instead of his cell phone (or just as bad, that CTU "patched" her through to)

and don't find the whole

"just go ahead and kill me"

speech to be at all consistent with Jack't touch-guy character.

So basically, I had way more problems than normal with general believability issues, I felt like it all played out according to cliche-ish twists and reveals, and I thought the languid pacing (and complete abandonment of Jack's (or anyone at CTU for that matter) storyline for an extended portion of the final half-hour, all to disguise a twist that wasn't disguised very well in the first place) and lack of high-stakes life and death suspense in the climax to be extremely disappointing.

I say all this as someone who LOVES 24 and was nearly giddy with excitement as the finale kicked off. Was no one else bothered by any of this?

Edited by popechild

So I partially agree with you and the blogger. But one of the things I like about 24 is that Jack's moral failings are rarely glossed over. He might have saved the day and given many people in the audience a jolt of satisfaction when he pulled the trigger, but the face of the Naval petty officer stood in for our moral conscience. (I think, anyway ... or maybe your gripe is something completely different ...)

Mark, you hit the nail on the head. I felt the same way after

shot Nina in season three

. As much as I cheer for the guy, he's so cold about some of his actions I'm sometimes repelled by his actions. But you're also right on the fact that the show's writers recognize the moral quandries and capitalize on them. That's better than glossing over them.

Yes, I was a bit bothered, pope. By all those things and more.

And the whole real-time concept got a bit shaky last night, eh? I mean,

Logan's wife says goodbye and she'll come back to Washington on her own later -- then meets him at the airport (in daylight) about 30 minutes later? And Jack goes from Marine One to a Chinese freighter at full steam in just 30 minutes?

I really just try to accept the comic-book aspect to the show and try to suspend my disbelief.

I thought it was a good finale, not a great one. I liked the more low-key feel of this episode, you don't have to cram a shocking twist or double cross every ten minutes. However, even I thought they were pushing the believablity of some of these plot points, particularly points 1, 3 and 4 in popechild's list, and I'm usually not the quickest one to catch on. I did like the moment of Chloe and Edgar's photo, that was very nicely done.

As much as I cheer for the guy, he's so cold about some of his actions I'm sometimes repelled by his actions. But you're also right on the fact that the show's writers recognize the moral quandries and capitalize on them. That's better than glossing over them.

I think that this aspect of Jack's character is a believable progression of having to endure these brutally stressful situations. After saving the world numerous times and shooting a large number of bad guys in the process, it's not surprising that he is becoming less human and more like a machine. I don't know how the show can going on like this without Jack becoming a total caricature. It's a limitation of the real-time formula, real character development takes longer than 24 hours. Maybe in the next season, with Jack forced into vunerability, we can see him try to deal with effects of the moral choices he's made on his own soul. But unless they bring in Joss Whedon in as a writer, I doubt that will happen.

Wow...I've just been kind of stunned all day. Jack has literally been Shanghai'ed! I almost cheered when I saw that Chinese official guy come back. "Mis-too Bah-wuh!" He's got the third-best voice on the show, after Dennis Haysbert and of course Kiefer himself.

Needless to say that's got to be one of the most intense cliffhanger endings that 24 has ever used. I say bravo to a season well done. We just saw 24 really good episodes in a row; no mountain lions, no stupid Kim Bauer subplots, no gaping plot-holes (well, there are some, but nothing as bad as those left by season 3, for example). This was a tightly-written season, less about action than suspence.

Also, think of all the new characters who can return next time; those Bluetooth suits who were working with Logan, Martha Logan herself, that German agent who got screwed by CTU, Collette Stenger (AKA the new Mandy), that woman and her son who Jack was living with at the beginning...that's a lot of new faces and I hope they are skillfully utilized in the future. I will very much miss Tony Almedia, though. :( Also, I think the writers lost an opportunity by killing Henderson: he would've been a good character for next season (and yes, that scene was disconcerting, but part of what makes 24 so gripping is that it does that to you; I was depressed for days after Jack killed Audrey's husband last year).

Speaking of Kim Bauer, are we supposed to assume that the Chinese killed her? Jack asked for one phone call and I think its obvious that he was going to call Kim...then the Chinese guy said something or other and Jack said "Kill me..." Does that mean Kim has been taken out and Jack has nothing left to live for?

I can't wait to see where next season takes place. For once, I don't think it will be LA. Will season six pick up while Jack is on the boat? Will it begin after his release from prison? Will it be about how he escapes from the Chinese? The possibilities are endless. We'll have plenty of time to speculate, apparently. Ok, I'll shut up now. :D

Eddie Izzard was set to be part of the new season of 24, but has left the series after only one day of filming.

Izzard Quits '24' After One Day of Filming

Emmy award winner Eddie Izzard is no longer part of the hit TV drama 24 - after completing only one day of filming. The cross-dressing comedian quietly parted with the show and is currently working on his upcoming TV series The Riches with fellow Brit Minnie Driver, which was picked up by the FX network in September. Izzard has been replaced by British actor David Hunt, husband of former Everybody Loves Raymond star Patricia Heaton. Hunt will take over the role and play a villainous accomplice on the show named McCarthy.

Just in case anyone missed it, the first four episodes aired in the US Sun and Mon night. You can pick them up on DVD tomorrow.

Didn't care for the "overly elaborate but easily escapable" torture room - plus the James Bond villain brilliance in telling Jack he's in charge - but the last ten minutes of hour 4 helped. Sucked that Curtis had to die - or appeared to die.

I just ran across this site: the Jack Bauer body count.

Season 1 - 10 kills

Season 2 - 30

Season 3 - 14

Season 4 - 44

Season 5 - 44

Season 6 - ...still counting.

Kinda makes you think....

Wow, the writers aren't kidding around this year. The first four hours were very tense and gripping. I wonder if they will be able to keep up this level of intensity over the next 20 episodes.

Jack's new-found agnst and guilt could make an interesting subplot, but it's hard to have a mid-life crisis when you're staring at a mushroom cloud.

Wow, the writers aren't kidding around this year. The first four hours were very tense and gripping. I wonder if they will be able to keep up this level of intensity over the next 20 episodes.

Jack's new-found agnst and guilt could make an interesting subplot, but it's hard to have a mid-life crisis when you're staring at a mushroom cloud.

Actually, I thought the whole

nuke thing was excessively contrived, essentially as it was just a maguffin to keep Jack from quitting--seems unfair to wipe out 100K people just so Jack Bauer won't bail on the mission

. I know 24 is about contrivance, but c'mon.

I found it all gripping, and like the direction they are going with the Jack Bauer character this season. What can you do to challenge him? Rather than battling to save his loved ones, there's an internal battle for him that should be very interesting.

Could have done without the scene where he

bites a hunk out of a bad guy's neck,

though.

Just watched the last two over the weekend online. The second one was a jaw-dropper.

WHY DID JACK HAVE TO KILL CURTIS????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I nearly cried!

That was one of the most haunting, morally chilly episodes I have ever seen. I'm stoked for tonight.

Just watched the last two over the weekend online. The second one was a jaw-dropper.

WHY DID JACK HAVE TO KILL CURTIS????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I nearly cried!

That was one of the most haunting, morally chilly episodes I have ever seen. I'm stoked for tonight.

Who says

he's dead

?