Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Just watched the last two over the weekend online. The second one was a jaw-dropper.

WHY DID JACK HAVE TO KILL CURTIS????

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I nearly cried!

That was one of the most haunting, morally chilly episodes I have ever seen. I'm stoked for tonight.

Who says

he's dead

?

I do. Besides, they're all going to be dead in ten years when those Santa Ana winds blow that

nuclear fallout

over CTU headquarters.

oops

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Just watched the last two over the weekend online. The second one was a jaw-dropper.

That was one of the most haunting, morally chilly episodes I have ever seen. I'm stoked for tonight.

Who says

he's dead

?

I do. Besides, they're all going to be dead

in ten years when those Santa Ana winds blow that nuclear fallout over CTU headquarters.

Umm... are we using spoiler tags in this thread? Because that's a relatively large one...

Edited by popechild

Who says

he's dead

?

The choral piece makes me tend to think that Curtis has met his eternal reward.

Still, you never know. There's always hope.

I wish the heck that Tony Almeida would come back from the dead.

Who says

he's dead

?

The choral piece makes me tend to think that Curtis has met his eternal reward.

Still, you never know. There's always hope.

I wish the heck that Tony Almeida would come back from the dead.

Yes, they definitely want you to *think* that. But remember what show you're watching...

Who says

he's dead

?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but see

http://www.fox.com/24/profiles/cm.htm

. I really wasn't expecting

the mushroom cloud

, but I saw

a showdown with Curtis and Assad coming on a mile away. I just didn't expect it so abruptly.

I understand how the writers

needed that moral breakdown for Jack, and how those shocking events were part of it, but I thought it all done rather sloppily.

Another thing, why wasn't there

a silent clock at the end of the episode for Curtis? Like I pointed out earlier, from the link, he's dead. So correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't each dead protagonist character get a silent clock at the end of the episode?

Edited by Joel C

Who says

he's dead

?

The 24 website knows for sure!

Last Monday night saw 24 turn from terrorist-related action to family drama. I knew it was only a matter of time before Empire Strikes Back-syndrome would infect the show:

now of course Jack's father is a key player, along with his brother who was the mysterious Blu-Tooth wielding villain last season

. I don't have a problem with this really, though I hope the family stuff is used creatively.

Also, I am quite certain that

Graham's son is, in fact, Jack's son, given the way Jack reacted when he saw the kid and also the way Graham's wife reacted when she saw Jack. This means that she's the seventh woman Jack has been with, after Teri, Nina, Kate Warner, Claudia, Audrey, and the lady from season five whom Jack was living with at the beginning. That man has certainly been keeping busy.

I have to say, though, that last Monday I was waiting for a real powerhouse moment where Jack would make up for

killing Curtis

. Now his focus is on interrogating his brother, which isn't quite what I was hoping for.

It was a jaw-dropper to find out that

Graem is Jack's brother.

I was almost jumping up and down (it wound up being kind of a swaying motion...).

I love Rena Sofer, and am so happy she's playing Marilyn. She is great on Heroes, she was great on Ed, she's just -- great.

It was a jaw-dropper to find out that

Graem is Jack's brother.

Yeah, that was a cool twist. Still, I'm getting that sinking, Season 3 feeling about this year. That was the year the main action nearly got derailed by a lot of Melrose Place-style subplots (Kim is sleeping with Chase! Chase has a kid! Tony & Michelle are on the rocks! The president's got a girlfriend! Wayne is sleeping with a married woman! Sherry Palmer is still a psycho! )

The nuclear blast and Curtis's killing

(not sure we still need spoiler tags, but I'll use them anyway) were shockers, but the show is lacking the snap, crackle, pop of Seasons 4 & 5. Maybe I'm just getting jaded; the show was bound to come down a notch after the brilliance that was last season. By this point, though, when Jack is into hour 6 of his day, I feel like I should be riveted and dying to know what happens next. And I'm not, yet.

And who, oh who, decided Wayne Palmer should be president??? Aside from the fact he's got way too much baggage to have been elected (he was present when his mistress and crazy sister-in-law died in a murder-suicide, for Pete's sake ... and surely some enterprising muckraker would have linked him to the mistress's husband's death????), he's just not convincing as a president.

And who, oh who, decided to glam Chloe up beyond recognition? What happened to our lovably awkward and socially unacceptable computer geek?? Chloe was a unique character in prime time; now she's been pushed into leading lady territory. Chloe in a dress? A black dress? Chloe in a black dress, getting groped by her Euro-trash ex-husband? Chloe in a black dress, being fought over by her Euro-trash ex-husband and her GQ-esque new boss? Chloe in a black dress, telling her Euro-trash ex-husband he has to try harder to get along with people???

They killed Chloe! You bastards!

And who, oh who, decided Wayne Palmer should be president??? Aside from the fact he's got way too much baggage to have been elected (he was present when his mistress and crazy sister-in-law died in a murder-suicide, for Pete's sake ... and surely some enterprising muckraker would have linked him to the mistress's husband's death????), he's just not convincing as a president.
Agreed. The world wanted Secretary Heller to be president this season, not Wayne Palmer! The producers should have done Snakes on a Plane-style re-shoots to accommodate for popular demand. ;)

And who, oh who, decided to glam Chloe up beyond recognition? What happened to our lovably awkward and socially unacceptable computer geek?? Chloe was a unique character in prime time; now she's been pushed into leading lady territory. Chloe in a dress? A black dress? Chloe in a black dress, getting groped by her Euro-trash ex-husband? Chloe in a black dress, being fought over by her Euro-trash ex-husband and her GQ-esque new boss? Chloe in a black dress, telling her Euro-trash ex-husband he has to try harder to get along with people???

I must say, she's looking mighty fine. But yeah, it's not a very believable character change.

And through it all, I still miss Soul Patch Almeida...

But the new boss is Milo, see? He's the last person I expected them to dredge up as a returning character.

And I'm anxiously awaiting Aaron Pierce's return; as the only character in all six seasons besides Jack, they better give him at least a little fanfare.

But the new boss is Milo, see? He's the last person I expected them to dredge up as a returning character.

True enough, but, um ... so? :) Not trying to be a wiseguy, but Milo didn't really have much to do when he was a regular during season one, so why bring him back now? Maybe because he's the only CTU operative from the past who's still alive. But more importantly, why link him to Chloe? It's just not a convincing plot development (nor very compelling, unless the writers have some tricks up their sleeves about Milo and Chloe and Maurice, which they might ...).

And I'm anxiously awaiting Aaron Pierce's return; as the only character in all six seasons besides Jack, they better give him at least a little fanfare.

Yeah!!! Aaron really came into his own as a character last year, and I've been eager to find out how the writers are planning on using him this season.

Edited by Mark

True enough, but, um ... so? :) Not trying to be a wiseguy, but Milo didn't really have much to do when he was a regular during season one, so why bring him back now? Maybe because he's the only CTU operative from the past who's still alive. But more importantly, why link him to Chloe? It's just not a convincing plot development (nor very compelling, unless the writers have some tricks up their sleeves about Milo and Chloe and Maurice, which they might ...).

My comment was made with gallons of sarcasm. :) As soon as I saw Milo, I thought, "They must be running out of recurring characters."

My comment was made with gallons of sarcasm. :) As soon as I saw Milo, I thought, "They must be running out of recurring characters."

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...... (Emily Litella-ing into the background now .....)

Did anyone else see this article, "The gospel of '24'"? It's dated Jan. 14, so I'm wondering if the show seems to bearing out the columnist's thoughts, or going somewhere else? Possible spoilers in the article, but as noted, it is two weeks old...

Wow, that article is funny. I know I can't verify this, but during the premiere episode I thought of the same thing. The guys I watched it with laughed when I suggested the Jack=Jesus parallel, and one of them (a seminarian) said it was completely ludicrous, but I definitely think there's something there...

The main difference between Jesus and Jack, as the writer points out at the end of his article, is that Jesus had not only to suffer, but to die. Jack hasn't done that yet. (Not true, strictly, since he did briefly "die" in Season 2, only to rejuvenate and immediately kick some bad-guy butt.)

And much as I love Jack, I'm a little uncomfortable with a Jesus stand-in who literally went for the jugular in this year's season premiere, allowing Kiefer to relive his "Lost Boys" days by turning vampiric in one of 24's most stomach-churning scenes, ever.

(On a tangential note: Wow, Mark McGwire sure looks different now that he's off the juice!)

Quick question: is anyone else really annoyed with Regina King's character? She's extremely shrill and short-sighted, IMO.

Yup. Big waste of a good actress.

Jayne Atkinson has really grown on me as Karen Hayes, though, especially in her scenes with Peter MacNicoll's character. So what do the writers do?

Have her shipped her back to L.A. by Sam Seaborn's little brother.

I wonder why the writers did not just leave Karen Hayes in LA to begin with. Having her in D.C. didn't really accomplish anything at all, IIRC.

And I must say, there has yet to be a truly butt-kicking "wow" moment since Jack threw that suicide bomber off the subway train a ways back...

I wonder why the writers did not just leave Karen Hayes in LA to begin with. Having her in D.C. didn't really accomplish anything at all, IIRC.

And I must say, there has yet to be a truly butt-kicking "wow" moment since Jack threw that suicide bomber off the subway train a ways back...

Umm...Howabout a

nuclear bomb going off in Valencia

? If that's not a truly world-altering, "wow" moment, I don't know what is.

As to Karen, I think the main reason she went to Washington was to allow Jayne Atkinson more screen time in her own environment, away from the CTU bubble, and her now-husband Bill. She has certainly proven herself to be an engaging and formidable character in her own right.

Umm...Howabout a nuclear bomb going off in Valencia? If that's not a truly world-altering, "wow" moment, I don't know what is.

I meant a "wow" moment for Jack personally; his interrogation of Graem was anticlimactic, and now he's stuck in family drama situations. I want to see him get a chance to do something. When the nuke went off, he was reduced to groveling on the lawn. I want to see him come back with a roaring vengeance.

The Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader paralells continue. I'm gonna make a prediction that something happens on Karen Haye's flight back to L.A. She's too interesting a character to leave alone for a four or five hour flight to L.A.

I have this sinking feeling that Morris is the next character to get the axe (literally).