Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Good call, Joel! Although nothing in the preview for next week indicates scenes set on a plane. But it could be a few shows from now.

My only complaint about last night's show was that Mrs. CrimsonLine and I knew who the engineer had to be immediately, as soon as Fayid looked at his picture on the computer screen, and didn't show the audience. Well, actually, we had it narrowed down to Morris or Marshall from Alias, but we thought Morris was an easier pick.

Good call, Joel! Although nothing in the preview for next week indicates scenes set on a plane. But it could be a few shows from now.

My only complaint about last night's show was that Mrs. CrimsonLine and I knew who the engineer had to be immediately, as soon as Fayid looked at his picture on the computer screen, and didn't show the audience. Well, actually, we had it narrowed down to Morris or Marshall from Alias, but we thought Morris was an easier pick.

I'm normally quick to figure out plot points like this, but they had me fooled. For some reason I kept thinking it was going to be Graem or Phil Bauer ("they know bomb engineering?" I shouted to myself), or Milo. The clues for Morris were basically red klaxons, but I still missed them.

Just caught up with the last one, and I'm psyched!

LOGAN

IS COMING BACK! ::w00t:: Yay for potential interesting subplots!

For someone who watched Season 1, couldn't get into S2, and then dropped the show for three more seasons, only to return to this one... who is

Logan

? Was he

S5's president

and was he

a bad guy

in some way?

Just caught up with the last one, and I'm psyched!

LOGAN

IS COMING BACK! ::w00t:: Yay for potential interesting subplots!

For someone who watched Season 1, couldn't get into S2, and then dropped the show for three more seasons, only to return to this one... who is

Logan

? Was he

S5's president

and was he

a bad guy

in some way?

Yes. He was the Prez in S5 and was a very baddy, engineering David Palmer's assassination and working with Graeme Bauer's company to "allow" a certain level of terrorist attacks in the USA to enable him to enact certain powers to protect the future of the country, all the while giving no bid contracts to the Bauer family business. Jack finds him out, and then uses Martha, the first lady, to trap him into a standard evil guy admission about his nefarious plans, which is transmitted to FoxNews by the hidden wire she's wearing.

Hm...last night was interesting. There was hardly any Jack action whatsoever. And Logan's return had quite an interesting spiritual resonance (he's a born again)! I wonder where the writers are going with this: how will they work neo-con Christian spirituality into the show? Is Logan sincere or is he being set up for a fall?

And as for the death of

Assad

, I'm not surprised he saw his demise coming. He'd be familiar with the kinds of tactics used to off him.

And as for the death of

Assad

, I'm not surprised he saw his demise coming. He'd be familiar with the kinds of tactics used to off him.

Is he dead, though? I was under the impression that

the fate of everyone in the blast radius--aside from lackey #1--was unclear

. Still, I watched the episode online, and there weren't any trailers for next week. Was something revealed in the teaser that gives this away?

The teaser shows

The President

being whisked off on a stretcher, but I saw nothing about

Assad

I'm guessing that

Assad is dead

, but

Palmer is still alive, albeit indesposed to run the country (aka, in a coma or something). He'll wake up at the end of the season, and exact his revenge

. In terms of

Logan

, I'd enjoy seeing where they'd take a sincere Christian faith with him, but was I the only person who felt a weird vibe with the whole Psalm 40 thing? First, he quotes it and does his "one step at a time, charles" thing, and then immediately after, Jack sees the verse when he opens the Bible. It made me think there was something eschew about the whole thing.

Eschew?

:)

I get jumpy whenever they show major characters as Christians. It's almost always a sign of villainy. I'm steeling myself for Logan's eventual betrayal and unmasking as a hypocrite - again.

The psalm 40 reference certainly appeared to be a clue of some sort, but to what? And coming on the heels of Morris's battle with alcoholism, the "one step at a time" quote seemed particularly well-timed. Oooh, I know - Charles Logan is Morris's new sponsor!! Which is a relief, considering it used to be Bart Simpson. No wonder the guy's messed up.

I, too, got a little queasy when Logan referenced his newfound spirituality, particularly when we saw the huge crucifix above his dresser. That's almost never a good sign that a character will turn out heroic. And yet, with all the Nixonian references to Logan last year, I also got a distinctly hopeful feeling that maybe the writers are turning him into a redeemed, Charles Colson figure this season ... too hopeful, maybe. Rumor has it Jean Smart will be back soon as Martha Logan, so no doubt if Charles is up to no good, he'll get a good smackdown from her. Can't wait to see that!

As for the assassination attempt - am I the only one who felt a profound sense of relief that

Wayne might be out of the Oval Office?

For the first time in 24 history, I was rooting for the bad guys to succeed.

Swapping out D.B. Woodside for Powers Boothe as president seems like a good tradeoff to me.

Sorry. ::blush:: Askew is the word I was looking for. Though "amiss" or perhaps "shady", or even "fishy" might have worked better!

As to the assassination attempt, I'd be sorry if Palmer were truly gone. I think he's gotten stronger as a president over the past few weeks, though he is still pretty weak with getting a game plan on the ground. When an atomic bomb goes off on domestic soil, you don't just get a terrorist on national TV to make a speech.

But I digress. On the 24 website, the normal "deceased" banner is noticeably missing from Wayne Palmer's profile. So, in all likelihood, he's still alive.

I'm still having a huge problem with the 'Janitor's Closet' in the bunker that has no security and is all access. I'm also having a huge problem with the cellular phone usage in the bunker that isn't monitored by any sort of security--incoming and outgoing cellular transmissions from the safehouse of the President in a state of national emergency aren't going to be monitored?

Other than these little things, it's pretty good.

It's no LOST, though... ;)

According to a little clip previewing this week's episode, Jack might be raiding yet another foreign consulate...if he gets caught, it would continue his vicious cycle of imprisonment in dangerous non-western lands. :unsure:

According to a little clip previewing this week's episode, Jack might be raiding yet another foreign consulate...if he gets caught, it would continue his vicious cycle of imprisonment in dangerous non-western lands. :unsure:

Sigh. This season is feeling so darn redundant. I suppose the writers nodded to this redundancy by having Logan (!) warn Jack it wasn't a good idea to invade the Russian consulate so soon after the Chinese released him for invading their consulate ... but at least this time, Jack tortured a guy who is actually guilty, instead of killing an innocent bystander. Still.

Other random thoughts:

The "President-is-incapacitated-so-the-VP-takes-over" plot is so Season 4. (Did we ever learn if President Keeler died when Air Force One went down? Or is he still in that coma?)

How did Wayne Palmer ended up with VP Daniels as a running mate? They don't seem a very likely ticket. But then, Wayne isn't a very likely president.

The evil-VP-trying-to-take-over-the-administration thing ... wasn't that a plot last year, too? Before we realized Logan was really the evil one, didn't he have a shady VP lurking in the shadows, ready to take over?

How the bleep is Morris managing to work his keyboard so fast after having a power drill in his shoulder a few hours ago??? That's gotta hurt more than carpal tunnel syndrome.

Interesting casting note on Powers Boothe as the VP - in Nixon, he played Alexander Haig, the guy who famously declared himself in charge after President Reagan was shot in 1981.

Peter MacNicol is at his squirrelly best as Tom Lennox! And Karen Hayes is back next week! Prediction: She'll end up helping Lennox prove the VP is really a bad guy.

And Martha Logan's back, too! And she's apparently married to Aaron Pierce! (Wasn't that him on the couch next to her as she hurls peanuts at her presumably-ex-husband's head?)

Rick Schroeder joins the cast next week! Loved him in NYPD Blue (not to mention Silver Spoons).

Where's Milo gone, though? I kinda miss him after his heroics a few weeks ago. The show needs someone to kick almost as much butt as Jack, and Milo was shaping up to be that guy. Did he clear out to make way for Schroeder?

And where'd Sandra Palmer disappear to? Will she be back now that her brother's critically injured? More importantly, will the writers give her more to do than widen her eyes and make hollow speeches about civil liberties? (As Jack cuts off someone else's fingers?)

Finally - did anybody realize that Dave Barry's blog has a section devoted to 24? Funny, snarky stuff! Here's the link: http://blogs.herald.com/dave_barrys_blog/24/index.html

Great points, Mark. I would happily see Ms. Palmer go the way of Jar-Jar in this though. And I would like to think a clever treatment for the VP would be if he turned out NOT to be a scheming scoundrel, tacitly approving of the assassination attempt. But then again, I think it would be interesting if Jack gets killed off and we see what Schroeder can do.

And Martha Logan's back, too! And she's apparently married to Aaron Pierce! (Wasn't that him on the couch next to her as she hurls peanuts at her presumably-ex-husband's head?)

It sure was Aaron Pierce! I'm excited, since he's the only character--besides Jack--that's been in all six seasons. I'm a big fan (maybe also because the actor e-mailed out of the blue, too....)

Great points, Mark. I would happily see Ms. Palmer go the way of Jar-Jar in this though. And I would like to think a clever treatment for the VP would be if he turned out NOT to be a scheming scoundrel, tacitly approving of the assassination attempt. But then again, I think it would be interesting if Jack gets killed off and we see what Schroeder can do.

I'd also be happy if Sandra disappeared, but it's a shame to have wasted Regina King for those few episodes. Now that the most interesting Palmers (David and Sherry) are dead, can we just move on?

Killing off Jack and replacing him with Rick Schroeder would be a truly surprising twist! I'd settle for making Jack human, though - have someone rescue him for once, put him in the hospital for a few episodes, have him be wrong about something. The Superman stuff is kinda old. (The dude still has great upper-body definition, and he's been in a Chinese prison for two years. What were those Chinese using to torture him, a Bowflex?)

It sure was Aaron Pierce! I'm excited, since he's the only character--besides Jack--that's been in all six seasons. I'm a big fan (maybe also because the actor e-mailed out of the blue, too....)

Whoa, wait ... elaborate, please!

Whoa, wait ... elaborate, please!

I mentioned Glen (the actor) on my 'blog about a year ago; I really enjoy it when character actors steal the scene, as he does often. I got an e-mail from him a few days later thanking me, and mentioning a few things to watch for later in the season (season 5). I did some poking around and turns out it definitely was Glen e-mailing me. What a nice guy!

So, no comments on this week's episode, and the "most shocking twist in 24 history"? (Ya gotta love those Fox promos.) Is everyone else yawning as widely as I am?

Shoot. I hate feeling this way, but Season 6 is inching dangerously close to bottom-of-the-barrel. Is it just me? Or did the incident in Martha Logan's bungalow exemplify the writers' laziness at relying on "shocking" deaths? Personally, I thought the Logans' storyline offered potential dramatic gold; instead,

he's dead (apparently, although I suppose we don't know that for sure yet) and she's a mad housewife.

Worst of all, is this what Aaron Pierce has been reduced to?

Am I just being grumpy? Or is this the most outlandish and unimaginative season yet?

Well, 24 has never been a show to preserve interesting characters, as witnessed by Tony Almieda, Michelle Dressler, Edgar Stiles, and this season Assad and

very possibly Logan

I'd be surprised if Logan

is dead.

That would just be waaayyy to anti-climactic, especially as the last shot of last week's episode was

his heartbeat flatlining.

Besides,

if he's dead,

then why all the stuff about repentance and finding redemption? I can't imagine it was just a random twist thrown in for kicks.

But then again, they

killed off Assad, and I REALLY liked his character

. Who knows? If they

kill him off,

then I'll agree that the writers have become inordinately lazy. But if they don't, then perhaps it will be a way for Logan to truly and profoundly express his redeemed self through struggling to forgive Martha or not. Eye for an eye?

And then again, perhaps the writers don't have the depth of Christian thought to push it in that direction. I guess we'll see!

Edited by Joel C

Ok, so it came from

Nadia's station

. But wait,

who's clearance was she using again? Oh yeah,

that guy

If either of those individuals turns out to be a mole, it'll be rather unrealistic and contrived. I wish they'd give up the use of the mole subplot for just one season...it's not that much of a shock anymore.

If either of those individuals turns out to be a mole, it'll be rather unrealistic and contrived. I wish they'd give up the use of the mole subplot for just one season...it's not that much of a shock anymore.

Seriously.

But then again, take into consideration that the average person tends to like the same plot twists, and is willing to knowingly be surprised over and over again. It's how Hollywood makes so much money. 24, especially this season, is effectively The Sum Of All Fears repackaged over and over again.

And yet for some reason, I still love it.

Edited by Joel C

What is Palmer doing???

That last scene in the last episode makes so little sense!

The only possible explanation is that somehow the VP is controlling him...otherwise it's farfetched even for 24.