Sign in to follow this  
Diane

What is Palmer doing???

That last scene in the last episode makes so little sense!

The only possible explanation is that somehow the VP is controlling him...otherwise it's farfetched even for 24.

Yes, Yes, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, since I've become the resident Season 6 naysayer. But Jeff, you nailed it ... "farfetched even for 24" sums up the entire season.

Pacifist Wayne Palmer turns

maniacal hawk

?? Just because the big bad (neocon caricature) VP bullies him? Poor wittle Waynie ....

Gosh, that whole final scene was laughably bad.

The writers are going for "twists" and shock content (a severed arm? gross!) over consistent storytelling. This last episode was a mixed bag of some pretty good ones (Lennox screws with the vice president!); some pointless ones (Ricky Schroeder saves Milo's butt! Gredenko betrays Fayed and then collapses in the ocean!); and some jaw-droppingly bad ones (anything involving the president and his sister).

OK, 24 has never been too closely related to reality, but c'mon. Take us this far out of reality, and the show is done for.

The silence you hear is the sound of liquid nails in the coffin of Season 6 ...

Pacifist Wayne Palmer turns

maniacal hawk

?? Just because the big bad (neocon caricature) VP bullies him? Poor wittle Waynie ....

I'm beginning to wonder if the nation would be better off with President Vader (aka Powers Boothe) in office. Wayne is a pansy.

The writers are going for "twists" and shock content (a severed arm? gross!) over consistent storytelling.

Agreed, man. I became convinced of this the moment that the show's focus slid from an all-out Islamic Fundamentalist siege on the USA homeland to a hackneyed Russo-Islamic conspiracy thriller that involved contrived plot points and characters. The writers don't care about story anymore. They're trading it in for cheap thrills, which is really a shame.

I'm just thinking of how different season one was. The climactic gunfight at the end was realistic and subdued yet heart-pounding because of the drama that surrounded it. In this season, people get blown up and shot, and main characters die, but none of it really surprises me anymore. You expect the writers to do extreme things, and they do them. Big whoop.

It's a shame. There was the potential for season six to be a raw, dark, and relevant season. Even though the logistics of Jack's return didn't live up to expectations, I still thought the first four episodes were fantastic. The war on terror was at a breaking point. America was under siege. Finally it seemed like Jack and company were up against a real, brute-force threat, the true face of human evil.

But it all melted away when the writers tried to explain it all by pulling in a pack of Russian and American bad guys...for once, I wish 24 would just let good guys be good, bad guys be bad, feds be feds, Jihadists be Jihadists. At this point there are so many layers of conspiracy on all levels that I wouldn't be surprised if Jack himself turns out to be the mastermind behind all the attacks, or if Karen Hayes is really Audrey wearing one of those Mission: Impossible masks, or something outrageous like that.

Okay, I've ranted for far too long....this has been building up for quite some time! <_< This is MY show. They have no right to mess it up.

At this point there are so many layers of conspiracy on all levels that I wouldn't be surprised if Jack himself turns out to be the mastermind behind all the attacks...

That's great! I will now officially be unhappy if this is NOT the way the series eventually ends! :lol:

And last night, we have a hard, 90-degree turn in plot. Hm. No longer is there a threat to the world, there's just a threat to

Audrey

. And you know what? I can live with that. Go get some sleep and a shower, Jack! You've earned it. :)

And last night, we have a hard, 90-degree turn in plot. Hm. No longer is there a threat to the world

Hm, well, you never know what the

Chinese aim to do with those suitcase nukes if they get em'. Perhaps for once Jack is going to sacrifice the common good here for his own good.

At least this episode sufficiently resolved the issue with the President's sudden 180 degree turn from the week before...

I thought the actor portraying Wayne Palmer did a great job with the cerebral hemorrhage scene. FWIW.

Yet one more time, the 24 seasonal cycle continues. Lessee: Atomic bomb or other weapon of mass distruction is on the loose, and it just happens to be in L.A. yet one more time. Big explosion to start off the season. President gets involved. Presidential scandal. Russians get involved. Russian scandal. Chinese get involved. Chinese betrayal. The good guys catch the bad guy, but OH NO, there was another bad guy all along who just happened to be intricately involved. So what are we missing? Oh yeah, almost forgot:

CTU needs to get attacked, and main characters will have to get mindlessly and needlessly picked off.

I'm guessing that the end of the season will probably involve Jack single-handedly saving the whole world from destruction, and the entire government turning a blind eye to his large amount criminal, rogue activities accumulated over a period of only 24 hours.

At least we can trust 24 to be consistent season to season, if that's any real consolation.

Reinventing '24'

Last spring, Fox executives asked producers to come up with a plan for what to do with their onetime crown jewel. The producers decided to take the radical -- and rarely attempted -- step of reinventing the show. While some fans complained "24" had grown too formulaic, the producers also grudgingly saw the importance of wrestling the show from its ties to an unpopular conflict.

The result: "24" is nowhere to be found on the TV schedule. For weeks the show's producers tried to reconcile the show's premise with the new public mood. Should Jack atone for his sins? Is Jack bad? The script rewrites and philosophical crises left the show so far behind schedule that when the Hollywood writers went on strike in November, Fox had no choice but to delay its premiere date. The show could premiere this summer, next fall or as late as January 2009.

Wall Street Journal, February 2

Last night's season opening two episodes were pretty darned cool!

Some highlights:

• I really liked the female FBI agent (Walker?), and not just because she's very attractive (though it didn't hurt). She embodied a no-nonsense vibe that didn't cross the line into Jack Bauer "I'll do anything to get the job done" territory. She makes a good partner for Jack, and a good foil for his thinking. As this season seems to be starting on an introspective note, her character is really helping to set up the themes.
  • I loved Jack's testimony before the Senate committee. I was afraid he'd knuckle under in some politically-correct disavowal of his past actions. And whatever I feel about the use of torture on terrorists, that would have been a betrayal of the Jack Bauer character.
  • It's a real change to have a President character I don't immediately hate! Yes, I'm looking at you, Wayne Palmer and Logan!
  • I have to say, I was amused perhaps beyond the bounds of propriety by the male FBI director's swaggering, insecure attempts to impress Agent Walker. When he flew by the docks, hanging out of the helicopter door at the end of the second episode, I thought, "this guy's got even more to prove about his manhood than Jeff Probst!"
  • Tony Almeida's back! Although...

Some things that I'm not sure about:

• Tony NOT crashing those planes on the runway seems to indicate that he's not really a bad guy, but maybe a good guy infiltrating the bad guys, and having to make some bad choices so as not to blow his cover. That REALLY disappoints me. I wanted Mr. Soul Patch to be the BADDEST bad guy the show has ever featured.
  • Janene Garofalo's character. She has had some understatedly funny lines, and some over-the-top goofy moments that don't seem to belong in this show.

And of course, the obligatory list of impossibilities:

• Chronological: Dr. Phlox was kidnapped off the strets of DC, and seven minutes later, he's on board the bad guys ship, almost done fixing their evil device?
  • Chronological: Dr. Phlox is kidnapped, we cut to the Senate hearing, and hot FBI lady runs in with a warrant allowing her to bring Jack along with her. We later find out that this warrant was issued following the kidnapping of Dr. Phlox. So at 8 a.m., she's able to receive the report about the kidnapping, draw appropriate conclusions, contact a judge, get a warrant, figure out where Bauer is, drive over there, and get him? In less than seven minutes? Suuurrrreeee.
  • Chrono-illogical: Tony Almeida barks at Dr. Phlox, telling him that if he can't fix the thing in the next few minutes, he'll have no more use for him. So, wait. Tony's plan included kidnapping a guy on the streets of Washington DC during rush hour, getting him back to his watery hideout, and getting him to reluctantly fix something that only he understands, and yet Tony only alloted 15 minutes or so for the whole operation? Great planning, Almeida.

Oh! And a bunch of Star Trek alums!

• Dr. Phlox, from Enterprise
  • Agent Walker's first acting role was on Enterprise as Liana (guest role in one episode - and no, I didn't know that off the top of my head)
  • Kurtwood Smith, the Senator who headed up Jack's questioning, played the Federation president in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Looking forward to tonight's two episodes!

I missed the first two episodes last night, but the only reason that I even remotely wanted to watch them (after the abysmal season six) was because of how much I enjoyed the Redemption TV movie. I posted a review here (I think it redirects to the bottom, so you have to scroll up).

Been catching up on 24. Working my way through Season 5; have seen all the others.

Season 6 = Season 2. They're just too darn similar. In the face of a nuclear threat, the VP tries to invoke the 25th Amendment and force out President Palmer ... where have I seen THAT before? And is it me, or do towns in the Santa Clarita Valley get more than their fair share of terrorist activity? Is blowing up Valencia somebody's way of getting back at Cal Arts?

I think plot holes bother me more in 24 than in other shows, probably because Life as We Know It depends entirely on Jack Bauer, so any Gap between the Impossibly High Stakes becomes that much more noticeable.

Edited by mrmando

Hours three and four were okay, I guess. So Tony's not really a bad guy, though he used to be and is now working to set things right? Not what I wanted, but I'll live with it. Bill and Chloe and Tony working as a secret club to take down The Conspiracy? Okay. I guess they needed all of our favorite folks to come back. But I kinda liked the idea of a fresh start for 24.

I liked:

• Jack got to elbow FBI guy in the face! YESS!
  • "This is going to hurt" and Jack's escape from the garage - cool.
  • Janene Garofalo as the anti-Chloe.
  • Now Jack and Renee Walker are at odds. That could be good, could be bad. For now, it's good.
  • If Ethan (the Chief of Staff) is a bad guy, I like the way the actor is playing him. If he's not, I also like the way the actor is playing him.

I didn't like:

• I sure hope Jack isn't able to get into that panic room with a nine-iron. 'Cuz then Matobo (or the US Government, or whoever owns that building) needs to get their money back.
  • The humanizing of weird, shifty-eyed, programmer guy by giving him a wife in peril. I kind of liked him as a weird, shifty-eyed programmer guy.
  • Has this show now become only and ever a discussion about torture?
  • The actor playing the President's husband is over-acting wildly. I expect the actor to start gnawing on sofas in the Oval Office and baying at the moon any episode now.

The actor playing the President's husband is over-acting wildly. I expect the actor to start gnawing on sofas in the Oval Office and baying at the moon any episode now.

The only other thing I know the guy from is that Stephen King miniseries Storm of the Century

Hours three and four were okay, I guess. So Tony's not really a bad guy, though he used to be and is now working to set things right? Not what I wanted, but I'll live with it. Bill and Chloe and Tony working as a secret club to take down The Conspiracy? Okay. I guess they needed all of our favorite folks to come back. But I kinda liked the idea of a fresh start for 24.

Yeah, it was clear from the first two episodes that Tony wasn't *really* going to be a bad guy (though the revelation that he *was* a bad guy for a few years is interesting, and paves the way for some interesting possibilities down the road). And since it was somewhat clear anyway, best to go ahead and reveal it now and get on with it. And as much as I'd love a completely fresh start too, I don't know if I'd love it enough to do away with Chloe and Bill. I think what they've currently got is a pretty good compromise.

I agree completely that they need to find a new shtick beyond "you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall!"

The actor playing the President's husband is over-acting wildly. I expect the actor to start gnawing on sofas in the Oval Office and baying at the moon any episode now.

The actors in my films often give similar performances. Which is to say, it's probably just bad directing. :)

Edited by popechild

I dunno, it's nice to see Colm Feore overact for a change ... he usually takes the opposite approach. Quick glance at his IMDB page reveals that I've seen him in half a dozen things and so have you ... but his performance in Julie Taymor's Titus is the only one that stands out. And Bob Gunton does make an effective bad guy -- Shawshank Redemption, anyone? -- but so far I'm not suspecting him. I do anticipate that Jon Voight's character will show up sooner or later.

My favorite characters from the entire series are Chloe O'Brian and Aaron Pierce.

Edited by mrmando

...and Aaron Pierce.

Yes, definitely my favorite character in the series. It was nice to see his role beefed up a little in season five, but I want him to hang in a background this time around (well, maybe not as much as his goofy little appearance in season six).

Nearing the end of Season 5, but can't restrain myself from writing about this plot hole any longer. Around Episode 16 Jack gets hold of the digital recording implicating President Logan, and spends the next 5 or 6 hours, at great personal risk, trying to get it back to CTU. But the whole time he's carrying this nifty PDA that can upload and download any kind of information ... why the heck doesn't he use it? If he'd sent a copy of the sound file to Audrey as soon as he acquired it, we could skip the last eight episodes. Of course then we'd have to rename the show.

In Season 6 ... not really a plot hole but a nomination for one of the dumbest characters in the history of the series: the curly-haired suburban dad whose family gets taken hostage by Ahmed early on. This knucklehead takes $150,000 to an electronics warehouse to retrieve a component. After the guy who has the component pulls a gun, Dad kills him. Now he has access to the money, the gun, and the component. He knows Ahmed is badly wounded -- it would be worth a shot to take the gun, go home, sneak in through the garage or back door and try to get the drop on Ahmed. He also knows the dead guy won't be needing the $150,000. But what does he do? He leaves both the gun and the money at the scene, takes the component and keeps following Ahmed's instructions--and ends up at ground zero of a nuclear strike for his trouble.

Okay, hour 5 of Season 7 has now aired...

I'd been leaning towards seeing Boss-FBI guy as the leak, now I'm not so sure. The leaker had to know that telling the baddies that Renee had no other information out of the hospital-guy would endanger her life, and I don't think boss-FBI guy would do that. The law of conservation of characters says that the leaker pretty much has to be Boss-guy, freaky computer guy, or Janene Garofalo. And I guess, now blonde strumpet-gal. I'm now leaning towards blonde strumpet-gal.

Only Jack Bauer can save a girl's life by shooting her in the neck...

I almost went into cardiac arrest when Agent Walker was revealed to be dead. But since she was dead at the beginning of the episode, I knew it wouldn't last.

Tony Almeida's character had some interesting moments this week, and they were well played by Carlos Bernard, someone whom I've rarely accused of having exceptional acting talent. But good job this week, Carlos!

Boy, Isaach De Bankole, who plays Prime Minister Matobo, has incredible cheekbones! You could slice cheese on those cheekbones. When Chloe started putting on latex gloves to put Matobo's tracking device on his body, I shuddered to think where she was going to put it. Oh, his teeth! Thank God.

The murder-suicide plan devised by Agent Gedge seemed unnecessarily convoluted and involved. It took him almost a full hour to prepare for Mr. Taylor's pretend-suicide, pulling out internet cable, stringing it up, and the like. Seems impractical, not something someone contemplating suicide would do. They're in a tall building - Taylor could have just jumped.

Wow...

This new season is vintage 24 (thus far, mind you). I love the new structure, the lack of CTU, the involvement of the FBI. I love the Senate hearings and the new president and cabinet, unencumbered by weak holdover characters from prior seasons (ala Lil' Wayne).

For once, I hope that they keep some of these characters for season eight. I want to see President Taylor stay in office. I want to see the new techie girl propped up as a sort of anti-Chloe. I want to see Jack dating Renee Walker; she's a very talented and beautiful lady.

(Maybe they can have Jack Jr! In the year 2035, maybe the Son of Jack will rise to power and fight off the terminator invasion or something.)

The plot is tightly written, suspenseful, and devoid of Weapons of Mass Destruction, which is a nice change. To me, the tying in of the 24: Redemption plot into this season has had great effect. All the subplots tie together, but not in a contrived way. I am falling in love all over again! :)